Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah now that I think about it, when we brought on Tyler Brown as the sub against GWS in round 1 last year and he proceeded to have 1 touch, my first thought was there's no way a draftee could replace the impact of such a battle hardened ready to go player against GWS this year

If Matt can get past his battler/trier obsession and actually look to implement a style that suits the side then there is the capacity for a real improvement.
I was going to ask "Matt, who?" until I realised = Nicks, with whom I am not on a first-name basis.

Well, Matt can't.
Matt won't get past his dour defensive mindset and that slow chip-chip game that he prefers which allows the oppo to set up and stabilise ie plays right into their hands.
As the season progresses, I'm more and more convinced there's a disconnect between how Matt wants them to play and how the players love to play (eg until the last 2 minutes of the second quarter, then Nicks sent out the go-slow message, inexplicably).

Yep, they don’t get it clearly. Some of us can see the clubs failings and want change, some just support the club no matter what the results are. We both ultimately want success, just one group puts more thought into it than “go crows, crows good”
If I get some time later today, I'm gonna bump your positives thread and post a heap stuff in there. Giddyup.

Yeah, sorry man, given our inexperienced list, would you just like us to say we're aiming for 14th to 10th for the next two years?
They did what they did to improve, now they expect us to accept what they are doing and the time has come to deliver not to continue selling snake oil, but hey man some want to buy it

Yeah now that I think about it, when we brought on Tyler Brown as the sub against GWS in round 1 last year and he proceeded to have 1 touch, my first thought was there's no way a draftee could replace the impact of such a battle hardened ready to go player against GWS this year
Hmm, I notice youre focussing on Brown, no comments about Doedee or McAdam?? Not selectively picking to try and shore up your point. I'm sure they (Doedee and McAdam) wouldn't have been handy at all. But again, as I said before, you keep twisting whatever reality you have to to convince yourself you're right, you're not going mad mate, its all good.

They did what they did to improve, now they expect us to accept what they are doing and the time has come to deliver not to continue selling snake oil, but hey man some want to buy it
Its funny, in this very thread people are commenting we're all about short term gain for long term pain and then we chop some experienced depth, to go and recruit some talent, which is the very definition of setting yourself up for short term pain for long term gain and still the club can do no right.

Its ok, i've been around here long enough to know how it works. THE CLUBS NOT DOING ANYTHING RIGHT UNLESS WE JUST WON THE PREMIERSHIP LAST GAME!! lol.

You are talking last round. Not 9 rounds to go - not comparable.

So I will take that as a yes - you think North was foolish to win and miss out on Harley Reid.

And anyway there is no obvious target for us at the draft at this stage to be concerned about

But surely a top 3 pick is far far more valuable than pick 7-10?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny, in this very thread people are commenting we're all about short term gain for long term pain and then we chop some experienced depth, to go and recruit some talent, which is the very definition of setting yourself up for short term pain for long term gain and still the club can do no right.

Its ok, i've been around here long enough to know how it works. THE CLUBS NOT DOING ANYTHING RIGHT UNLESS WE JUST WON THE PREMIERSHIP LAST GAME!! lol.
Short term pain, how many years and still counting

Draper is looking more and more like a non top 10 pick to me. I seriously doubt we select him at the draft because it will a big reach. In the National games so far his stats are roughly 20 touches - 7 kicks 13 handballs a game. So a quicker version of Laird

That may be due to his injury - has started behind the eight ball this year, but I suspect our pick will have better options available to us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thissssss. Spot on. An absolute reach at our pick. Would be negligent list management.

Dowling reminds me of young mcluggage.

Rankine is elite and an absolute pressure performer.

Finishing let him down a little but as dangerous a player in the entire league. A mix of McLeod and Acker.

Dawson was Hodge like.
Dowling is Jarrod Berry for mine. A good, honest midfielder. Doesn’t have the class of Mcluggage.

Dawson was awesome.
Jordan Dawesome :sneaky: . Very good post.
Murphy with some bad decision making and skills. Did a lot of good things too though so 5/10 game from him for me.
Sorry, disagree. I thought he was our worst player last night.
Ugly:
Hows that umpiring? Who liked that free not paid to Soligo right there at the end. What about the deliberate out of bounds on Michalanny when it was knocked from him? The free kick count was 15-12 our way with about 13 minutes to go in the game. If finished 16 to 17, so it was 1-5 in the last 13 minutes. So they got 12 in 70 minutes of gametime and amazingly just happened to earn 5 in 13, yeah right.
I didn't notice until you pointed that out; it does seem off.

salute your shorts nicksplat GIF

We set ourselves up for short term pain by moving on from Brown, McAdam, Hately and Doedee?

Thats a pretty terrible take.

I think you are a little dramatic.

This week is the 100th game that Mathew Nicks has been in charge. We have won 34 of these games.

As a club we haven't played in a final in 7 seasons.

I think there are plenty of reasons not to be happy with the club. We have really sucked for a good 5 seasons now.

Dowling is Jarrod Berry for mine. A good, honest midfielder. Doesn’t have the class of Mcluggage.
Not sure about that.

He's surprised me with his composure in close and his agility. I didn't realise he had these things.

Give him confidence and another preseason and I think he could be anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back