Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugly: the crappy slappers being happy being ...the crappy slappers.

Second least experienced team this round, away from home, against a form team, against a massive umpire ride and we finish less than 3 goals down, so you gotta reach for some negative to have a go about. Get a life.
This game was nothing that we haven't seen 10 times before under Matthew Nicks. We are very consistent with the close but no banana performances against sides that are red hot favourites. Don't get too excited mate.

Peak Brodie Smith (eg 2016)
Score involvements per game - 6.1
Score involvements as a percentage of scores - 20%
Metres gained per disposal - 26
Score launches per game - 2
Intercept marks per game - 1.4
Pressure acts per game - 11
AFL player ratings - 11.5

Current Brodie Smith
Score involvements per game - 3.2
Score involvements as a percentage of scores - 16%
Metres gained per disposal - 20
Score launches per game - 0.8
Intercept marks per game - 0.5
Pressure acts per game - 9
AFL player ratings - 7.0

If you look beyond simple stuff like kicks and handballs his impact has fallen away.
I don’t know where you got these but these stats are incorrect. BTW whether Smith is playing or not has nothing to do with our predicament this year. I know the mob mentality loves to have a scapegoat, but a half back getting 18 touches a game is simply not our biggest issue. If you couldn’t see the centre clearances that Sydney and Brisbane got against us in the last 3 weeks, not the amount, the unopposed clear run forward from the middle, then you are not understanding our issues. Quite simply our midfield is not good enough, and it’s not good enough because we haven’t recruited any star midfielders in the last 10 years, and no amount of swapping half backs is going to change that.

Not sure whether you thought about this when you posted btw, but if Smiths is still going at 16% of our score involvements, which is higher than any other of our defenders, then surely he is a must keep.

I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.
1720354754890.jpeg

Ugly: the crappy slappers being happy being ...the crappy slappers.

Second least experienced team this round, away from home, against a form team, against a massive umpire ride and we finish less than 3 goals down, so you gotta reach for some negative to have a go about. Get a life.

Second least experienced team after 5 years, 15th and loving it.

I get why Brisbane fans would be pissed with the Rankine bump, but also that shit doesn't happen if they don't instigate it in the first place. The Lions are into him, bumping, scragging, just working him over (see Harris Andrews trying to take him out) from the get-go, but then they outraged when Rankine sees someone running at him and decides to get a shot in first. It's just unfortunate for both it resulted in a concussion.

But the talk that Rankine is a dirty sniper is just ridiculous.

The footage is clear, Rankine was basically standing his ground.

I don’t know where you got these but these stats are incorrect. BTW whether Smith is playing or not has nothing to do with our predicament this year. I know the mob mentality loves to have a scapegoat, but a half back getting 18 touches a game is simply not our biggest issue. If you couldn’t see the centre clearances that Sydney and Brisbane got against us in the last 3 weeks, not the amount, the unopposed clear run forward from the middle, then you are not understanding our issues. Quite simply our midfield is not good enough, and it’s not good enough because we haven’t recruited any star midfielders in the last 10 years, and no amount of swapping half backs is going to change that.

Not sure whether you thought about this when you posted btw, but if Smiths is still going at 16% of our score involvements, which is higher than any other of our defenders, then surely he is a must keep.

They are not incorrect: https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=22f824

There’s good experience and theres bad experience. Good experienced players help a rebuild, players who are past it don’t. They panic as they slow down, they lack poise and the whole benefit of experience not only doesn’t exist but their performance hinders team results and development.

You’ve seen the errors, poor judgement and lack of poise right? There were examples of it today, he panicked and disposed of the ball in dangerous positions, I’d trust 10 game Nankervis over him to make the right decision.

And think, even Nicks with his love of experience dropped him, he wasn’t dropped after one poor game but a run of them.

As for Tex, refer to my opening paragraph, he’s good experience and we didn’t lose to Richmond because Tex was missing, we lost because we were smashed in ruck and the middle, lost inside 50s. We were actually more efficient and took more marks inside 50, our midfield let us down.
Honest question, do you really think he has shown lack of poise and poor judgement, or are you influenced by the heard mentality? I feel like I am really honest and unbiased when I rate footy and I just think Smith is clearly in our best team. He was in our 8 best players today.

I don’t think Murphy, McHenry or Butts are in our best team, I would have Jones, but clearly not on the wing, I would love a tougher upgrade on Scholl, ROB and Laird, but Smith and Walker playing for another 2 years seems a no brainer to me considering how many kids we have.

the umpiring was so 1 sided today
I was shitty about the Umpires during the game, but I wasn't thinking about the Frees given against Brisbane, only those against us. Some bizarre decisions, for sure, especially wrt to htb.
When supporters in general see a high free kick imbalance (like 26-15 tonight), they cry "Biased! Favoritism! Rigged! Cheating Umpires!" etc.

I'm not so sure.
I reckon if we could look at replays of all the frees given or not given (eg when Keane tripped Daniher (or Hipwood?) and was called play on), there would be some bad errors against both teams (just more of them against us, tonight).

I think it was just very bad, inconsistent.Umpiring.
One of our posters said in the Game Day thread that it looked like Brisbane were getting the new interpretation of htb and we were copping the old, or vice versa.
Either way, seriously bad Umpiring tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest question, do you really think he has shown lack of poise and poor judgement, or are you influenced by the heard mentality? I feel like I am really honest and unbiased when I rate footy and I just think Smith is clearly in our best team. He was in our 8 best players today.

I don’t think Murphy, McHenry or Butts are in our best team, I would have Jones, but clearly not on the wing, I would love a tougher upgrade on Scholl, ROB and Laird, but Smith and Walker playing for another 2 years seems a no brainer to me considering how many kids we have.
Don’t think I’ve ever suffered from herd mentality.

Yes I do. He’s had some howlers this year and you’ve got to ask yourself, knowing everything you know about Nicks and his love of experience, why was Smith named sub and dropped for 2 games? Why did Smith come out and do media answering questions on how bad he was playing?

Forget his 22 touches today where there were a few kick ins, he made some poor choices. I think it was the 2nd qtr, wasn’t it his hacked panic kick that went 40 out from goal dead in front that Neale marked and goaled?

I'm not happy that Rankine will get 2-ish weeks for that bump. Also not happy the Lion was concussed.
I don't think Rankine expected that their heads would be involved --- he needed to stay low. He was probably frustrated/angry, but he's not a sniper.

i'll be honest, though --- I loved that bump.
I loved also Michalanney giving that grub Greene a serve after last week's win.

Showed some mongrel toughness that the Crows have lacked for years.
Hombsch along with Kelly (and Silvers briefly) chatted at the pre match, Hombsch made the exact point here that all our young defenders have the requisite amount of mongrel to succeed. Spoke well and a good asset for the club IMO

Laird with another sea of pointless garbage. Yeah scream for the ball and then do nothing with it again you selfish hack. Look at the statty watties, I’m Rory!
Early in the first quarter, Laird had two kicks close together = 2K on his stat sheet
BUT
--- one was a hasty hack that was easily smothered because the Lion was so close to him, and
--- the second was another hasty hack that went about 30m. high and skewed about 20m. in actual length.

Worse, he often demands the ball when he is flat-footed or just in a bad position ie not running past or out to space where he can effectively gain metres.

I wouldn't call any of those afl traits without having other weapons. Not saying he's crap or isn't gonna make it, just wary of getting excited for someone new just because they're new.

Nank on the other hand showed key signs from day one. It was easy to identify. Just haven't identified it yet with Dowling.

I am just highlighting what he can do. I'm not sure what his weapons are yet, they're not the same as traits. It's not getting excited because he is new, its because he has shown a lot of good signs and has a few strings to his bow. There is a lot to work with here.

He has a very good foundation for what midfielders need to do. Can win it on the inside, win it on the outside and has a very good work rate. His footy IQ looks promising. Its a strong starting point to build off. We've drafted too many mids who don't possess and inside+outside game - Berry, Shoenberg, Jones, Pedlar - these 4 are busts as pure midfielders, they can't do what is required. Only Soligo has it.

Right now he is being thrown everywhere so we are not going to know how good of a mid he is until hes given a proper go in there. 11 contested touches with his first bit of mid time against a really tough matchup is encouraging.

Nothing in those stats supports your argument. Smiths best years were clearly 2014, when he was all Australian, and 2017 when anyone could see that his ACL cost us in the granny. Now I’ll grant you he is not quite at 2014 levels, but crap he’s close, and any honest analysis would show much less of a drop-off than most players between 22 and 32. He’s still clearly in our best 22, and in fact would be clearly in 17 other best 22’s.

BTW I don’t know how I’ve gone into a wormhole of defending Brodie Smith, but it’s like seeing our supporter base turning on Darren Jarman in 2000 because he wasn’t playing quite like our premiership years. Brodie is unarguably the best 1st round pick this club has ever made, and deserves better than this abuse from his supporter base.

Christ, the lad got 22 touches today.

Nothing in those stats supports your argument. Smiths best years were clearly 2014, when he was all Australian, and 2017 when anyone could see that his ACL cost us in the granny. Now I’ll grant you he is not quite at 2014 levels, but crap he’s close, and any honest analysis would show much less of a drop-off than most players between 22 and 32. He’s still clearly in our best 22, and in fact would be clearly in 17 other best 22’s.

BTW I don’t know how I’ve gone into a wormhole of defending Brodie Smith, but it’s like seeing our supporter base turning on Darren Jarman in 2000 because he wasn’t playing quite like our premiership years. Brodie is unarguably the best 1st round pick this club has ever made, and deserves better than this abuse from his supporter base.

Christ, the lad got 22 touches today.

Now you're just trolling. We picked Patrick Dangerfield with a first round pick and there was a period he was the best player in the game.

I showed stats that support my argument from that very source so unless you are looking only at the disposals column, you're just flat out wrong that nothing in there shows he has declined

You actually hoped we would lose by 10 goals and sat there watching our game with that demented intent?

wow..what a truly ****** up mindset. Time to move on for the crows I suggest.
Surely if anything that makes him more of a supporter. Knowing the club is shit dumb and the coach is a fraud, but still supporting them. Wanting a good midfielder in this draft should be a given if you really want the crows to succeed into the future, despite themselves. Nah who am I kidding we will **** it up somehow.
It's called being an "experienced" crows supporter.😃😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back