Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh the 'herd' have reached fever pitch. Grown adults out here spitting petty hate is 100% cringe.

You won't find a more toxic online environment that the Adelaide BigFooty threads.
And yet you keep coming back

Look, I know you are all disappointed how our season has gone - we ALL are - players and coaches alike. Funnily, my hubby said at the end of last season he thought we would likely take a step back this year before moving ahead next year, I pooh poohed it, but clearly he was right. Apparently it's quite common for a developing team to do this. Also on the back of a career best season from Tex last year, unless he replicated that form, and losing TT before the season started, we were always going to struggle.
This feels more like coping

Yes developing teams do backslide but why are we still a developing team? I mean we know the reasons

My issue with these hindsight calls is a poll at the start had many of us predicting a top 8 finish with some top 4. Yes some even said we would go backwards

I think this year has been set up on the 1st 4 games of the season. Nothing more nothing less. Its not inconsistency - well if you dont include the coaching directions - its just bad direction that see us striving to win when we could have - should have - won at least 2 of those games

And of we do the energy is much much different both on here and on the training track

Not sure whether you thought about this when you posted btw, but if Smiths is still going at 16% of our score involvements, which is higher than any other of our defenders, then surely he is a must keep.
The phrase "16% of our score involvements" is very misleading.
It does not mean that he is directly responsible for 16% of our scoring; it means that he's a part of play that resulted in a score, 16% of the time. That could come from a Smith miskick or poor handball which is recovered and eventually ends up as a score.
According to this site Smith has had ONE Goal Assist in 13 games :oops: this year:

Agree we shouldn't be abusing the players.

This season is a complete and utter fail though. "They are trying their best" isn't good enough for an elite sporting organisation. We're a basket case.

People like Silvers and Adam Kelly get off way too lightly. Make them front the cameras and explain to fans why we have an SANFL quality coaching panel.
Got to laugh when they trot out that line.

Don’t worry, make no mistake, I can categorically say that everyone is trying their hardest, leaving no stone unturned in the pursuit of success for the Adelaide football club.

So given that the best finish is 10th and all the other years end in “teenth” the logical conclusion is that certain key people are below par at their job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't understand the intentional bit

If you try to shepherd, so a legal football action, but get the player high in the act by accident does that count as intentional?
Depends if your name is Kevin

He would shepherd - at training - with his elbows

Idiot tried to use the excuse he was drunk while he tweeted multiple times using racial language to abuse Rankine.

Guy also runs a "pro-mental health in sports" podcast too apparently.
Someone followed up with his tweets and called him out

SMH, a couple of appalling comments (not going to bother posting it here)

He's deleted his account

Someone followed up with his tweets and called him out

SMH, a couple of appalling comments (not going to bother posting it here)

He's deleted his account
Yea, saw that he booted his account as soon as he got called out. Plenty of people screenshoted it by that point as he did it from an account under his own name.

GOOD

Nank - first half I thought was excellent. Still needs to work a little on his polish and faded out of the game a bit, but I liked his intensity.
Keane - Just fairly solid across the board, intercepts, M gained, SI's...
Keays - A poor mans Bayley Fritsch, but slugged it out in front of his former team.
- Contested possessions, contested marks were excellent, and a definitely uptick on previous performances.
Murray - Couple of clangers, but is building nicely after only a few games under his belt after a serious injury. Is definitely not getting a KPF at this stage, but is more pushing up the ground defensively and on the wing. Big engine for a big man!
Defence - Only recorded 3 Defensive 1-1 losses for the night. 7 goals scored from Rayner/Neale/Dunkley combo speaks to a huge midfield defensive failure... thought we kept Daniher/Hipwood and Charlie pretty quiet.

BAD

- Total tackles were excellent, but the quality was at times pretty horrendous to watch.

Dowling - 9 clangers, 5 turnovers. Is just getting up to the speed of the game, and was evident in some of his decision-making. He will be fine, but I'd like to see him outside of the contest for a bit. Definitely prefer him roaming the F50 for now.

Midfield - Berry/Soligo/Downling/Rankine/Laird...... Whatever the mix was that worked last week didn't work this week. I thought ROB's tap work was pretty good, but Brisbane's experience shone though, able to slip tackles and find players in congestion. We couldn't match with their ability to run and carry through the middle.

UGLY

Laird - Plodder. Spotted him SEVERAL times waiting on other players to do the pressure running for him. Like.... are the coaches running some of this stuff back at him? There's no gut-running at all. He's younger than Neale, but no longer has any elite traits. Send him to the SANFL.

Cook - Looks flashy with the ball in hand, but the ball ain't in hand too often. Is allergic to finding the pill. ZERO tackles. If not for Hinge's injury would 100% have been subbed for Cook.

Rachele - Oh dear. At this stage not looking anything like a decent Pick 6 (although the 2021 Draft appears to be littered with duds in the 1st round)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back