Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Well let's take a deep breath. Don't like what I'm seeing but has happened all year. Watched last week's game live against North & what hurt us then has again. Our disposal & decision making is horrendous. We either kick to opposition or give ball to player who is under pressure. Injuries are hurting us but they are not the reason we are where we are.
Grey- Great first half. Deserverd his chance. Disposal by foot still not great but a lot to like. Give him Eddie next week.
Weller - Quieter than last week but shows plenty. Let's get more games into him.
Tucker- Good debut. Got lost a few times but that's to be expected. More games we get into him better he will be. Skills look good.
Taberner- Had his moments between good & bad. Let's keep playing him. Today although wasn't great was better than last week. Give him games & let's see whether he is up to it or not.
Pearce A- Very organized & gives his all but why , when we couldn't kick goals wasn't he sent forward to win game? Now Johno looks gone for few weeks let's let Alex play his role. Will fast track his development immensely.
Anyway just a few points on what I feels going wrong & how young blokes who played today are going . On our older players, haven't got time for them tonight. Season gone as for finals. Let's get games into kids & look forward to some early draft picks.

Did anyone else feel the bitter irony of Mayne nailing that last shot after the siren, when it was already over. It feels like he's missed every kick from similar positions over the last few years, but that one was no problem.

I turned the tv off before he even kicked it knowing he would probably kick the meaningless goal.

Did anyone else feel the bitter irony of Mayne nailing that last shot after the siren, when it was already over. It feels like he's missed every kick from similar positions over the last few years, but that one was no problem.
My first thoughts were "he kicks a goal when it doesn't even count"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid errors aside, I didnt think Tabs actually played that poorly...wasnt the worst of them anyway.
Was equal second highest for Uncontested possessions so is getting into space....Needs time to get the "feel" into his game. hard to get some consistency when he is in then out. Nothing to lose by seeing if he can develop with more games under his belt....

He was directly responsible for 1x Carlton goal, where with no pressure what so ever kicked it to an opposition player. The same thing happened again shortly after but the Carlton player missed his shot on goal...could have easily been two.

Then he was directly responsible for stopping one of our goals...had a big impact on the scoreboard but it was negative.

Pavlich was painful to watch...got beaten in every single contest...not sure what he offers us these days.

Last edited:
I would have liked to join others in supporting Tabs but I'm sorry I can't. He had 18 disposals, 8 marks and a goal. Which sounds ok until you realise he only had one contested possession, I suppose at least it was a mark, had 5 clangers and that didn't include his goal save against Griff, and 10 of his disposals were handballs (hence the 72% DE which sounds reasonable but none of those handballs were under pressure). He was also way down the bottom for pressure acts which is often a sign of poor effort imo.

Everyone seems to agree he can't play deep forward as he provides almost zero presence inside 50. So that leaves him being a high half forward or a link up man on the wing to help get the ball out of defence, but that's the exact area we where all his turnovers occurred that then led to goals against. I'm sorry but he is simply not the man to have with ball in hand trying to get it out of defensive half.

He probably wasn't our worst player today but I think we need to assess him realistically now and stop using "he's a young KPP, give him time" excuse. He's played quite a few games now and whether we are serious about getting back on track this year, and/or doing a mini-rebuild ready for 2017 and beyond I think everything point to Tabs not being part of our future. If he isn't omitted next week I'd be very surprised. But he should have a lot of friends (possibly other talls) joining him in the WAFL.

Bad luck Dockers. Good to see the young blood given time. Just on Fyfe, does anyone think that he has been bulked up too much? Still has years left in his career, imo he's been built up and is now paying the price for playing too far from his natural body type (the leg and back) It's not smart player management. He is still a massive part of your future, cutting 5-8 kgs would help heaps. Hope you guys come good.

I would have liked to join others in supporting Tabs but I'm sorry I can't. He had 18 disposals, 8 marks and a goal. Which sounds ok until you realise he only had one contested possession, I suppose at least it was a mark, had 5 clangers and that didn't include his goal save against Griff, and 10 of his disposals were handballs (hence the 72% DE which sounds reasonable but none of those handballs were under pressure). He was also way down the bottom for pressure acts which is often a sign of poor effort imo.

Everyone seems to agree he can't play deep forward as he provides almost zero presence inside 50. So that leaves him being a high half forward or a link up man on the wing to help get the ball out of defence, but that's the exact area we where all his turnovers occurred that then led to goals against. I'm sorry but he is simply not the man to have with ball in hand trying to get it out of defensive half.

He probably wasn't our worst player today but I think we need to assess him realistically now and stop using "he's a young KPP, give him time" excuse. He's played quite a few games now and whether we are serious about getting back on track this year, and/or doing a mini-rebuild ready for 2017 and beyond I think everything point to Tabs not being part of our future. If he isn't omitted next week I'd be very surprised. But he should have a lot of friends (possibly other talls) joining him in the WAFL.
No way I want him to play for peel, he will spoil Smith, and uebergang mark. This kind of player will do everything to keep his spot and hindrance rookie to upgrade.

Mayne plays well and slots one after the siren and you vultures still find reasons to bag him.

Bunch of Silent Alarms in here.

Slots one with 0 pressure... congrats.

Mayne decision making allows the opposition to get back, you can't afford to have that in this game. If we dropped Mayne 2 years ago for Crozier, we would have player who could at least score.

Umm we just lost at home to until today the worst team in the comp by far, I wouldn't be making outlandish statements just yet.

I respect that you feel differently, but I stand by my claim: personally I can't see us finishing last, the team, the coach and the club are far better than that.

This has been a horrible start to the season, no arguement there... and right now it's hard to see a way forward, especially after we're smarting after a loss. But any insistence that freo can't imrove and turn their performance around - despite all attempts to the contrary - to my mind that's a massive underestimation of the capacities of both our coaches and our players.

Perhaps we can send one to GWS.

Boys, you should've taken our 2016 first round pick for McCarthy.
Now I am happy the deal not done, I think Ross only change his centre bounce game plan hoping that will be enough for our footsoldiers .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back