Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm also in the camp that the usual maligned players (Pearce & Mayne) weren't that bad, and what really let us down was poor ball use by senior players (Hill and Neale).

Why not get Pav to retire. Rest Fyfe for the year

Get the number 1 pick, rest Sandilands for the year also and get another year out of him.

Get Cameron Macarthy

Trade the number 1 pick for another ruckman or a forward if you think Clarke can play

The midfield is very good with Weller coming on in leaps and bounds

There is nothing to be gained by finishing 12th.... and winning 7 or 8 games. Ross Lyon can coach and he will adapt and I'm sure he will,turn things around but I do think Tank this year away as there's much more to be gained in 2017

Agree with almost everything else in your post except this. I thought it was one of Danyle's worst games I can remember - he seemed to drop it on the boot and hope for the best most of the game. Did a couple of ok things but I can't fathom him being listed in our best players today. I also thought it was possibly Dawson's worst game this year, just far more mistakes than he has made in other rounds. Not that he was the worst but I'd struggle to list him in our best. If these guys can make 5 clangers and still be in our best then there is something terribly wrong. Mayne I do agree with you. Worked hard the whole game all around the field, and did a lot of off the ball work that led to us getting the ball and scoring from it. Made very few mistakes unlike our entire team, just like last week (thought he was better last week though).

Maybe it was diff being there, but I noticed DPearce nail kicks that I fully expected him to shank. A few times he threw it on the boot just to purely get it forward but I can't fault that in those positions.

I completely disagree with Dawson, easily in our best 6 imo. Yes bested by strength 1 on 1 a few times and had a bad turnover, but also had a very solid 3rd qtr where he was almost the link on half back. Honestly thought he was quite decent.

A bloke behind me was calling for Dawson's head all game when he wasn't even doing wrong.
So sick of idiot supporters (mainly at the ground) talking rubbish about our players & such. So frustrating. Already got into multiple arguments

Our senior players were average to good. Our younger players showed signs. Our ability to stop their run & turn it over were for all to see. Carlton kept us in the game to be honest with their own poor finishing in Q3.

To move forward I think playing the developing types is not enough, it's playing them where you want them to be long term and give the responsibility. If the floodgates open, sure then revert to damage limitation.

Crozier is a creative forward/finisher - tackling is a string to his bow not his focus. Pearce is taking down a key position as good as what we have. Weller to start & stay on the ball in an attempt to get him 20 possies. Grey to follow the oppositions best mid and or small forward. Tucker et al to take the kick ins. Apeness, appreciate the injuries but a first round pick needs to play when fitness is up. Let's see what's there and what's needed. We will have some picks this year no doubt.

Fyfe, Hill, Walters, Bennell are all young enough to wait a season or so for the next wave.

Not sure how it looks on the tele, but at the game it was almost impossible to fathom the lack of movement from our players across the ground when we had the ball. It was almost like a defensive zone ... on offence !?!

It just ups the degree of difficulty on kicks, which we already struggle with anyway. The blokes doing the rebounding out of D50 genuinely have nothing to kick to.

Our uncontested mark count would nearly be world record low? Whatever we are playing, it aint 2016 football.

Yes, yes yes. I know we are crap in our ball use, I know we're making poor decisions, but bloody hell the amount of times you'd see the wide angle and we just didn't work hard enough to create an easier target.

The other thing that shat me was the complete lack of talk, especially in the first half. It got better as the game went on, but FFS, all three talls in one area shouldn't be flying for the ball. Screen your man, call the other through. School yard level stuff.

We have some big issues, but there's lots of easy things we did wrong in this game that could have changed the outcome.

And injuries left right and centre to our cream if the crop players, this was as bad a day watching the Dockers as I can remember, and I've been here from the very start.

Get amongst the salmon?? Amazing action around the place atm, boats and fish flying everywhere yesterday around the South Mole. Great fun

Nah. Went deep past the 5 fathom bank in the boat. Might have a crack during the week though for a salmon, bugger all around today at the boat ramp, normally people showing them off everywhere.

Ps. On another note, must be going well when fishing side tracks the footy

Maybe it was diff being there, but I noticed DPearce nail kicks that I fully expected him to shank. A few times he threw it on the boot just to purely get it forward but I can't fault that in those positions.

I completely disagree with Dawson, easily in our best 6 imo. Yes bested by strength 1 on 1 a few times and had a bad turnover, but also had a very solid 3rd qtr where he was almost the link on half back. Honestly thought he was quite decent.

A bloke behind me was calling for Dawson's head all game when he wasn't even doing wrong.
So sick of idiot supporters (mainly at the ground) talking rubbish about our players & such. So frustrating. Already got into multiple arguments
Fair enough. Was there as well. Have also watched replay of first half and have looked thoroughly at the stats which has impacted my assessment. Has mostly reminded me of all the mistakes made. Not sure I am up to re-living the second half. Don't disagree they both had patches, I just think we need 4 quarter efforts from our players if we expect to be competitive. As much as Barlow and Neale have their justified criticisms from today, at least they gave a full game effort.

Agree, "supporters" that abuse their own players at the game are ****s.

Nah. Went deep past the 5 fathom bank in the boat. Might have a crack during the week though for a salmon, bugger all around today at the boat ramp, normally people showing them off everywhere.

We were getting smashed by them out at FFB as well yesterday, things were everywhere. Got a couple of dhuies just sized.

Bring on the distractions.....really looking forward to the cricket season this year, should be a belter!

Fair enough. Was there as well. Have also watched replay of first half and have looked thoroughly at the stats which has impacted my assessment. Has mostly reminded me of all the mistakes made. Not sure I am up to re-living the second half. Don't disagree they both had patches, I just think we need 4 quarter efforts from our players if we expect to be competitive. As much as Barlow and Neale have their justified criticisms from today, at least they gave a full game effort.

Agree, "supporters" that abuse their own players at the game are ****s.

My biggest gripe.
Could question half the block of ppl around me their football allegiance

The coaches are though expecting a different result from a group that has never been skilled by foot (efficient yes, but never classy). We've always had the clangers to be fair. So the coaches take responsibility for some misjudgment.

It's not the skills, it's the decision making.

I've said this before. Great teams look skillful and classy, but really its just that they are in tune with the plan and the guys around them.

WCE didn't change their squad much and went from a bunch of hacks to having quick ball movement.

At this level, that slight hesitation equates to many meters and closing down etc.

We absolutely have zero confidence in the way we want to play or how we should play.

I personally play a lot of basketball and this will be my connection. I play PG and in my team with blokes I know, they make me look good and I can hit them with passes etc. When I fill in for teams who are short I still try to play PG but don't know anyone or how they move and turn the ball over a ridiculous amount.

In short, right now Freo aren't on the same page in anyway.

Well I was there and seriously I want some of what you were on for the next home game, must be some hallucinogenic miracle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't get it. We're a much better team than this. Everyone looks a shadow of what they were last year. Our skills have never been exceptional, or Hawthorn-like. But they've never been horrible. What some of our players are dishing up is just unfathomably bad for an AFL footballer.

Having said that, I'm encouraged by what our youngsters are producing. They all need to build their tank up & make sure they stay in the game, but Grey was all over it today, Weller's 2nd, 3rd, 4th efforts are impressive. And Tucker had some silky smooth plays today.

Our game is just so weird. There were some sparks of real Freo-style footy today. But then a lot of crap. What's with all the flooding we're doing? A couple of times we actually got the ball out of our D50, only to have literally no one to kick the ball to.

Anyone else just get a strange message on their mobile phone?
Um... no? Like what?

This is like Drumm era Dockers and it's so bad I can't help but laugh.

Jesus.. The melt is hardcore with this one :cry:

Call me crazy I was more disappointed in our 2014 season. Instead of backing up and improving and capitalising on our prime premiership window year, we stumbled to spot 4 and went out in straights in the finals!

I am more critical of our 2014 season, and it's lost opportunity in our legacy, than in 5 losses in 2016 with a regenerating list while implementing a new gameplan. Certainly 5 losses is a bad look, as is our disposal pretty bad -- the first 10 games of 2012 wasn't champagne football either. New gameplans take time.

Just because one bare stat makes this look like 2001, doesn't mean we should be tricked into believing its a like for like :)

I've said this before. Great teams look skillful and classy, but really its just that they are in tune with the plan and the guys around them.

WCE didn't change their squad much and went from a bunch of hacks to having quick ball movement.

At this level, that slight hesitation equates to many meters and closing down etc.

We absolutely have zero confidence in the way we want to play or how we should play.

I personally play a lot of basketball and this will be my connection. I play PG and in my team with blokes I know, they make me look good and I can hit them with passes etc. When I fill in for teams who are short I still try to play PG but don't know anyone or how they move and turn the ball over a ridiculous amount.

Excellent post, anyone that has played sport at a serious level can see what is happening is exactly as you describe. It was always likely that we would have a few shockers as we came to terms with the changes, I guess no one expected we would fall to these depths though. The biggest risk is players losing faith in the game plan completely and reverting to self preservation mode, but if that happens after five games it says as much about them as the coaches

Might have a crack during the week though for a salmon, bugger all around today at the boat ramp, normally people showing them off everywhere.

Hook into them pricks they won't release well.
But who cares they will annihilate all the hezzas.

HAW are the great team, not WCE, and the Hawks are skilful all round. Further they take skilful players and develop their contested game to an AFL standard (eg Birchall, Duryea, Smith).

Some points well made yes, but when Barlow can't hit Pav from 15, when Taberner puts the ball on Pav's head twice in two minutes, handballs are behind not In front, and when scoring shots are missed that's all skill. So on seeing that, coaches should judge what is best placed to work rather than hoping bad actors will just turn it around.

Tbh thought Taberner did really well apart from that brain fade at half back. Led on the wings and provided a target when Pav, Clarke, Mayne couldn't even do anything.
Can't imagine the pressure he is under to perform and can tell with him. Yeah he screwed up Griff's goal, but got a nice grab and kicked the goal when Croizer, Mayne just couldn't even come close to a goal. 18 Disposals, 8 marks and 3 tackles.
He is certainly better then the spud Clarke. My god he just doesn't have anything to improve and look disinterested to even play. Wished we traded him somehow, but now look like he ll be a delisted free agent at this rate.

Why not get Pav to retire. Rest Fyfe for the year

Get the number 1 pick, rest Sandilands for the year also and get another year out of him.

Get Cameron Macarthy

Trade the number 1 pick for another ruckman or a forward if you think Clarke can play

The midfield is very good with Weller coming on in leaps and bounds

There is nothing to be gained by finishing 12th.... and winning 7 or 8 games. Ross Lyon can coach and he will adapt and I'm sure he will,turn things around but I do think Tank this year away as there's much more to be gained in 2017

Not even for Hogan, Dangerfield and Gary Ablett Jr's unborn child

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back