Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Hook into them pricks they won't release well.
But who cares they will annihilate all the hezzas.

That post is just like watching Freo try to clear the ball out of our back 50 - I have no idea what it's about or where it's going.

Last edited:
HAW are the great team, not WCE, and the Hawks are skilful all round. Further they take skilful players and develop their contested game to an AFL standard (eg Birchall, Duryea, Smith).

Some points well made yes, but when Barlow can't hit Pav from 15, when Taberner puts the ball on Pav's head twice in two minutes, handballs are behind not In front, and when scoring shots are missed that's all skill. So on seeing that, coaches should judge what is best placed to work rather than hoping bad actors will just turn it around.

I used the example of WCE because most would be able to connect and remember how they went from terrible to playing in a GF last year.

There were definitely some general poor skills, but IMO it only further highlighted a complete lack of cohesion. I honestly think Hawks also miss easy targets etc, but they don't get noticed because the rest of their play is sound.

Some credit to Carlton. They knew if the game was a shootout they'd likely lose even despite our poor forward set up. We only looked good last week because North wanted that sort of game.

I have faith longer term, but this year is a complete write off and we're better off finishing bottom 4 rather then 9-14th.

What is hard to explain is the side actually started to get better through the WC and North games.

Can't really understand what happened this week. Would think that based on how we did against North, we should have easily beaten Carlton.

Maybe it's just easier against an attacking side like North. Seems our style is in no man's land. Can engage in a shootout, but will get blown away in the end. Or we face a clogged up game and can't move the ball through congestion.

What is hard to explain is the side actually started to get better through the WC and North games.

Can't really understand what happened this week. Would think that based on how we did against North, we should have easily beaten Carlton.

Maybe it's just easier against an attacking side like North. Seems our style is in no man's land. Can engage in a shootout, but will get blown away in the end. Or we face a clogged up game and can't move the ball through congestion.

Or we got mentally shot after the North game.

Not shooting the messenger but I swear it was his left leg today and right last year? Just thinking back with the cane it was definitely the right
100% left leg both times. Trust me. I basically stalk him.

x4klu8.png

Oh boy, this is gonna get worse before it gets better

The good news is that any lingering delusions concerning our current position will have evaporated once and for all today. We're undeniably terrible and don't we all know it. It's good because it's round 5, best to understand our plight nice and early rather than continuing to wallpaper over the cracks with a mature team and scratching out uninspiring wins and, ultimately, treading water in footy purgatory. Like Richmond or Collingwood.

We played 7 guys with less than 50 games experience today and that number is set to rocket in the next month, there is going to be a lot of pain but we need to weather it like true fans, stay the course of the not-so-mini-rebuild and see what we can salvage from this season.

Yeah, we've realised it too late and are about to suffer quite a painful patch of upheaval and turmoil (all of which is worth melting over don't get me wrong) but we still have 17 rounds left to get our shit in order for 2017 and beyond. Unfortunately, whoever said our season from here cannot be measured is wins is right. That's extremely hard as a fan to adjust to, especially after seeing us top the ladder last year, but I'd like to think our fans have the intestinal fortitude to keep supporting the team each week.

I think that they need to go back to basics and just focus on learning how to play AFL level football again. Maybe having the pressure of having a good result being off will help with that.

It's a very difficult fence to balance demanding excellence vs knowing that there are limitations in your current personnel. On the one hand, you need to push them to perform with their best but, on the other hand, be realistic about their output and reward and criticise them accordingly without ingraining their limitations as a fall back excuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good because it's round 5, best to understand our plight nice and early rather than continuing to wallpaper over the cracks with a mature team and scratching out uninspiring wins and, ultimately, treading water in footy purgatory. Like Richmond or Collingwood.
Should have been understood midway through last year, better late than never I guess

Fair enough. Was there as well. Have also watched replay of first half and have looked thoroughly at the stats which has impacted my assessment. Has mostly reminded me of all the mistakes made. Not sure I am up to re-living the second half. Don't disagree they both had patches, I just think we need 4 quarter efforts from our players if we expect to be competitive. As much as Barlow and Neale have their justified criticisms from today, at least they gave a full game effort.

Agree, "supporters" that abuse their own players at the game are ****s.

I cannot stand supporters who do this. Please don't go to the game if you are not going to support your team.

We are missing our best ruckman (arguably our best tall), our captain and one of our best midfielder, potentially our most talented midfielder in Bennell and now our most influential gun brownlow medalist.

We are in deep trouble.

Add Johnson who is quite likely out for a bit at least (from what I could see), our only backman who knows how to keep us remotely organised.

I get this sense, especially after this week, like were gonna play the long game with Fyfe now hes injured (reeks of GAblett 2015) to keep losing "all above board", while we fine tune our movement/gameplan - Think West Coast 2014. Rotate in and out our stars on any niggles (Mundy right now "calf complaint"). Maybe we straight up don't want to make the finals while Hawthorn are this strong? Maybe we don't want to miss out on 4 extra weeks of prep for 2017? What would ever be upside to scrapping our way inside the 8 during a gameplan transition?

If we get a top 5 pick, or better, keep losing and accept going first to last with that heavy burden of the #1 pick... we could get a forward. Ready made. F@#$ the McCarthy obsession. Don't give overs for him, or offer too much cash. Get him if you can trade for Tabener in a 3way trade etc.

You could have Pav play 12-14 games next season and peak for finals and be a potent 2nd. Maybe, ladies and gents, we'll play the long game on many fronts :) Shhhhh Long game.. Shhh

I cannot stand supporters who do this. Please don't go to the game if you are not going to support your team.

Every supporter base has douches, loudmouths. We are no different. I'd rather have strong numbers in membership, thus a strong financial club, than some family friendly clap trap standards and 30,000 members and similar attendances.

I do wanna point out the positive fans are something to be proud of though! Saw it on TV and choked up a bit seeing a whole plethora of fans crowded around the race/stands area clapping for the boys on our worst defeat in 4+ years.

Last edited:
I get this sense, especially after this week, like were gonna play the long game with Fyfe now hes injured (reeks of GAblett 2015) to keep losing "all above board", while we fine tune our movement/gameplan - Think West Coast 2014. Rotate in and out our stars on any niggles (Mundy right now "calf complaint"). Maybe we straight up don't want to make the finals while Hawthorn are this strong? Maybe we don't want to miss out on 4 extra weeks of prep for 2017? What would ever be upside to scrapping our way inside the 8 during a gameplan transition?

If we get a top 5 pick, or better, keep losing and accept going first to last with that heavy burden of the #1 pick... we could get a forward. Ready made. F@#$ the McCarthy obsession. Don't give overs for him, or offer too much cash. Get him if you can trade for Tabener in a 3way trade etc.

You could have Pav play 12-14 games next season and peak for finals and be a potent 2nd. Maybe, ladies and gents, we'll play the long game on many fronts :) Shhhhh Long game.. Shhh

Every supporter base has douches, loudmouths. We are no different. I'd rather have strong numbers in membership, thus a strong financial club, than some family friendly clap trap standards and 30,000 members and similar attendances.

I do wanna point out the positive fans are something to be proud of though! Saw it on TV and choked up a bit seeing a whole plethora of fans crowded around the race/stands area clapping for the boys on our worst defeat in 4+ years.

Pav won't be playing next year. Johnson very unlikely with the way his body is holding up.

I would have liked to join others in supporting Tabs but I'm sorry I can't. He had 18 disposals, 8 marks and a goal. Which sounds ok until you realise he only had one contested possession, I suppose at least it was a mark, had 5 clangers and that didn't include his goal save against Griff, and 10 of his disposals were handballs (hence the 72% DE which sounds reasonable but none of those handballs were under pressure). He was also way down the bottom for pressure acts which is often a sign of poor effort imo.

Everyone seems to agree he can't play deep forward as he provides almost zero presence inside 50. So that leaves him being a high half forward or a link up man on the wing to help get the ball out of defence, but that's the exact area we where all his turnovers occurred that then led to goals against. I'm sorry but he is simply not the man to have with ball in hand trying to get it out of defensive half.

He probably wasn't our worst player today but I think we need to assess him realistically now and stop using "he's a young KPP, give him time" excuse. He's played quite a few games now and whether we are serious about getting back on track this year, and/or doing a mini-rebuild ready for 2017 and beyond I think everything point to Tabs not being part of our future. If he isn't omitted next week I'd be very surprised. But he should have a lot of friends (possibly other talls) joining him in the WAFL.
Lets be honest,the reason both Taberner and Mayne continue to get games is because there is no one at Peel to replace them. Under normal circumstances Mayne would have been given a few games in the 'twos' to kick goals and get some confidence. Apeness and Bennell out injured has been crucial.
Brady Grey was fantastic in the first half - he is a real competitor, Weller and Alex Pearce are going to be guns in a couple of years. Blakley will develop into a Mundy type player, I really like him.
The bottom 5 or 6 players at Freo need to be culled and play the likes of Grey, Blakely,Tucker,Hughes etc.

Yeah we totally did that in round one and two...

You do know how moronic this is? It's up there with the 'Lyon has a gun plan in September, he's just saving it for then' absolute INSANITY.
Of course it's moronic but I've got no other explanation for such a complete degradation of skills by our players across the board. To top that off, I detect an unwillingness to change tactics during the game even though it is evident how the opposition is making it difficult for us. I've always noticed the changes the coaching staff employ at quarter time breaks and this year, not much.
This leads me to believe the following:
1. Lyon wants to play the youngsters now and not after mid-season so he is exposing our players young and old (writing on the wall stuff).
2. Injuries have already busted us (at least our first half of the season).
3. We are re-tooling for 2017, sometimes you have to go down to get back up.

Of course it's moronic but I've got no other explanation for such a complete degradation of skills by our players across the board. To top that off, I detect an unwillingness to change tactics during the game even though it is evident how the opposition is making it difficult for us. I've always noticed the changes the coaching staff employ at quarter time breaks and this year, not much.
This leads me to believe the following:
1. Lyon wants to play the youngsters now and not after mid-season so he is exposing our players young and old (writing on the wall stuff).
2. Injuries have already busted us (at least our first half of the season).
3. We are re-tooling for 2017, sometimes you have to go down to get back up.

Agree with this. Ross was re contracted for this very reason. The club knew it would be a tough season. Best to keep the knives out of Ross's back and give him the free air to make the difficult calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back