Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Who played well for the Blues vs the Pies in Round 18?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow is insane in close. Such good hands. I think we’ve stopped trying to turn him into something he’s not and just let him do his thing. He can be a clearance machine for us.

Starting to get confidence in his movement. Very hard to stop when he’s got momentum going forward, and his timing has been much better.

Nice surprise the second half of the season.

The thing about that Stocker shepherd is he could have gone left for an easy handball receive in space ... and he went right and put two blokes down. He's a god among ants and he's going to end up the first bloke in history fined in anticipation before a round is played.

He is a god amongst men . His actions determine fate . Love Stocks .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Martin 11 marks today.

Much better!

If Cripps comes in next week, I think he needs to play most of the game as a forward.

Seeing the mix of Kennedy, Dow, Martin, Fisher, Walsh, Curnow, SPS in the centre square, when we got going, it looked unstoppable.

Give it another try again vs North.
We have been so afraid to mix selection up and try kids in their respective positions. Now it has been forced upon us, hopefully it is kept in place. The results have been strong with the midfield group.

It's a crime how Kennedy has been managed over the last 2 years. As for all this b*llshit of playing players out of position to make them more adaptable is a nonsense. If he has shown this off the back if a few games playing in position imagine where he would be had he been developed correctly and played in position. This goes for SPS, and numerous others. Sooner they clean out coach and assistants and really get the best out of this group I think we will be surprised how far they can go.
What a lot of rubbish. It has been very hard to play cripps and Kennedy in the same midfield as we get killed on the spread.

You can argue that we have needed to end our dependence on cripps in the middle and today probably helps make that case. To make the argument that the coaching staff need to be cleaned out is ridiculous.

Matt Kennedy has taken what was probably his last chance and good on him. Every club in the comp could have taken him last year before we re rookied him. I think that he has played himself into a 2 year contract.

Actually, I know he's pretty shot, but until we get a replacement for him, he's all we've got and he is the type of player who leads up the ground well dragging a defender with him. And I have no idea why we didn't take a forward/2nd ruck in the MSD with our 3rd pick, I have no idea. There were a couple of that type in the mix that we could have taken. But we took a small defender type (now injured) and a 3rd ruck for development purposes (now also injured).

I fully agree list management has bunged up in that department.

But I disagree that Casboult leads up well, in fact he is often caught getting in Harry's way and his ball use this year in particular has been dreadful. Not to mention he hasn't made an impact on the scoreboard for us as you'd expect from a player in that role.

If it was a couple of years ago as an extra tall target, sure. But he has run his race and unfortunately has been more of a liability than a contributor this year.

I reckon teague will be replaying that to himself in the corner all night .. opened him right up .. we haven't had a player hard like him since Hamill -- that's 20 years ago 😀😀🤭🤭
robbo went alright, stocker will finish a better player I reckon..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was one of the most embarrassing first halves of football I have ever seen....it was shitfull!
As they say in the classics 'one swallow doesn't make a Summer!'
Collingwood were below is on the ladder and thats for a good reason.
They stopped in the last half which was very decent of them.
I loved the win but it doesn't wipe out 20 years of mediocrity and pain.
Some of the boys were fantastic in the end of the third and in the last and that is most satisfying.
But where was this effort and improved skill level in the first half and a bit?
We know that injuries have been horrible yadda yadda yadda and that we all await a new dawn next season.
But we have been here before year after year.
To repeat....one quarter and a bit of football against a bottom team don't do it for me.
North ain't playing that bad and they get three players back next week.
I want to see 3 or 4 quarters next week like the last today.
Then the next week.
And the next week.
And the next week.
You know what comes next.
Says the guy who just about every week says that he's about done with the club after a slow start. Maybe if you didn't go early when we are behind, people would respect your opinions a bit more. But... fair play to you. You at least show up when we win... unlike a lot of lightweights who go early and hard and then disappear until the next week when it's all rinse and repeat.

Dow is almost impossible to tackle.

Finally found the agility and burst he showed as a junior.
Always had it. Apart from missing games through injury. Coaching panel almost ruined it by trying to reprogram him. Made thing too complicated and robbed him of his natural game and instinct, the stuff that made him a high draft pick.

I'm up and about. Here's a few of my favourite tweets following today's win...

Those last two... wow. Bastard onion ninja are stalking me tonight.

Walsh, Kennedy, Dow and Stocker. There’s a big future there.
Our considerably inexperienced midfield outclassed theirs. TDK is a gem.
Reckon TDK adapted his game a bit in the second half and reckon he beat Grundy in the last 20mins.

Just needs to have a little bit more of the games awareness, e.g. the horrible turnover (which he fixed tho….)

Geez that was embarrassing wasn't it? I wonder how many of them will step up and say they were wrong!
Not me.
I always get emotional against Pies.
1st time we played them this year they broke my heart...thought we'd be top 8 and realised we were a long way off it.

Took weeks to readjust after that.
Tonite looked like another trainwreck early on.
Our problems are still there too...
But fab last quarter.

Great we got the win for Silvagni family.

Dow is almost impossible to tackle.

Finally found the agility and burst he showed as a junior.
Walked through a couple of Collingwood tackles like they weren't even there. And his sidestep was on fire today!

Kennedy had another ripper. Good on him, certainly worth another contract.

Stocker really growing and developing out there. Good balance of offense and defense.

Dow maybe a little less prolific, but some of the things he did with it today were fantastic.

Martin seemed a little more for today and working his way back into it.

Loved the intercepting through the middle of the ground by Williams. My main concern with Williams is he seems to cop a knock or hit and stay down for a while almost every game. Not sure if he's maybe carrying something?

Walsh, Weiters, Plow, Harry and Silvagni all had very solid games.

Must sign Bam Bam .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't want to take away from the rest of your post - but Dow was absolutely IMMENSE in the first three quarters and pretty much kept us in it.

Reckon he would have been barely able to stand by the last.

Dow's first quarters are immense. He progressively fades from there each match.

Imagine if he could do that all match.... He'd have to change his name to Sam Walsh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Back