Preview Rd 18 Changes and pre-match discussion vs Hawks @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In - Wardlaw, Phillips, Goater, Shiels, Ziebell
Out - Logue (Inj), Simpkin (Inj), Young (Om), Lazarro (Om), Tucker (Om)

FB - Perez - McKay - Ziebell
HB - Goater - Corr - Shiels
C - Scott - Wardlaw - Ford
FOL - Xerri - LDU - McDonald
HF - Thomas - CCJ - Stephenson
FF - Zurhaar - Larkey - Curtis
IC - Phillips - Sheezel - Harvey - Greenwood
SUB - Lazarro

• McKay to Lewis, Corr to DGB/resting ruck
  • Ziebell only survives due to Logue injury and the fact we are so bare in the back half depth, could play Bergman but would like him to have a run of good games at VFL level before coming back in
  • Shiels to go to a back flank, will give us a good user/decision maker and can do a job on Breust for periods if required
  • McDonald needs a circuit breaker, if they aren’t going to drop him, I want him tagging Day who tore us apart last time we played, don’t get beaten by what you know, if they send him back, have Luke follow him, make him be a non-event
  • What is the best we’ve looked this year? Phillips, Wardlaw and Sheezel in the middle. Why the coaches have gone away from that is f*kn staggering to me, and I’d be going back to it this week + LDU, Thomas. Only players I’d have in at CBA are LDU, Phillips, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Thomas & McDonald (tagging)
  • Greenwood to play as the relief ruck and pressure forward, don’t want him playing midfield and don’t want CCJ going into the ruck as it hurts our structure. Greenwood could play a defensive role on Sicily for periods when down there
  • Laz the sub which is stiff as he was ok but he shouldn’t be getting CBAs given who we have available, good runner is exactly what the sub is for

Confident if we do this we will find ourselves in a position to win the game. Stop failing doing the same thing over and over again…
id keep tucker over shiels other than that happy with that team
or if Powell is fit he can come in

otherwise he can come in next week with jy

id keep tucker over shiels other than that happy with that team
or if Powell is fit he can come in

otherwise he can come in next week with jy

Ins or outs won’t and haven’t made much difference of the past 14 losses (apart from Wardlaw)

Over the next few years, we need to get to the root of the issue and really concentrate on our culture. We all got to believe we can win like the youth in our team do, but the rest don’t.

I wish someone could come into the club and shake the shit out of every single player lol

Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

Out: Logue, Laz, Jy
In: Warlord, don’t really care. Dawson?

Would be absolutely thrilled to see LMac rested/managed/walked into Clarkos office and said I’m not playing up to my usual standard I’ll take a month off to rest but won’t happen.
There's a flaw in your logic.

This won't happen but losing Logue does present us with an opportunity to play a more modern type defence for the rest of the year. We could have McKay and Corr as the two talls then a range of mid size, quick and skillful defenders including 4-5 from Sheezel, Taz, Goater, Bergs, Archer, Perez, Young, Bonar, Dawson.

No room for Jack back there and who knows where LMac plays because defence is not his jam.

This won't happen but losing Logue does present us with an opportunity to play a more modern type defence for the rest of the year. We could have McKay and Corr as the two talls then a range of mid size, quick and skillful defenders including 4-5 from Sheezel, Taz, Goater, Bergs, Archer, Perez, Young, Bonar, Dawson.

No room for Jack back there and who knows where LMac plays because defence is not his jam.
McKay, Corr, Dawson, Archer, Bergman, Goater.
Lets run with that back 6.

We have:
Hawks MARVEL
Saints MARVEL
West Coast OS
Demons HOBART
* MARVEL
Tigers MCG
Suns HOBART

Realistically even with us losing 14 in a row, Id say the Melbourne game aside there is no reason we can go into any of those games looking to win. Hawks we should be priming ourselves. Saints have injuries galore. West Coast again we should be winning. * at Marvel is gettable. Tigers are our bunnies. And Suns in Hobart too.

We have:
Hawks MARVEL
Saints MARVEL
West Coast OS
Demons HOBART
* MARVEL
Tigers MCG
Suns HOBART

Realistically even with us losing 14 in a row, Id say the Melbourne game aside there is no reason we can go into any of those games looking to win. Hawks we should be priming ourselves. Saints have injuries galore. West Coast again we should be winning. * at Marvel is gettable. Tigers are our bunnies. And Suns in Hobart too.
This. For me Archer should especially be picked in defence this week as he's finally back on the track and playing well in vfl and he knows how to lock down a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next three weeks are winnable games. Hold Hansen Jnr debut until WCE game.
Doesn't sound like Powell or Shiels will be quite ready.

Out: CCJ, Logue (inj.), Simpkin (conc.), Stephenson, LMac (not sure it will happen)
In: Goldy, Dawson, Phillips, Wardlaw (if good to go), Bergman

In : Hansen jr , Goater, Wardlaw, Phillips
Out MacDonald, Zurhar , Young , Logue ( injured) . I know mainly backs out but gee MacDonald and Young were arse ring smelly .. poooooo

In : Hansen jr , Goater, Wardlaw, Phillips
Out MacDonald, Zurhar , Young , Logue ( injured) . I know mainly backs out but gee MacDonald and Young were arse ring smelly .. poooooo
Out :Sympkin out to concussion
In : Dawson ?

No.

Is physically cooked and his confidence is effectively shot as a result.

His time as an afl player is done.
As apposed to all our other midfielders who are brimming with confidence.

They lost centre clearances 20-4 last week, they should all be dropped to send a message that those performances are not acceptable.

The cooked Cunnington you talk about is our 2nd best clearance player this year with a 4.8avg! Imagine how cooked the rest of them are..

Rethinking my side

OUT: Logue (inj) Jy (inj) McDonald Young Perez CCJ Lazzaro
IN: Archer Goater Dawson Bergman Wardlaw Phillips Hansen Jr

AFL Side
B: Archer McKay Corr
HB: Goater Dawson Bergman
C: Scott LDU Ford
HF: Thomas Greenwood Stephenson
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Xerri Wardlaw Sheezel
I: Phillips Tucker Harvey Hansen Jr
S: Shiels E: Ziebell

We can still put out a fairly strong VFL side too.
VFL Side
B: Watkins Bonar McDonald
HB: Young Lienart Hall
C: Howe Cunnington Perez
HF: Lowson CCJ Turner
F: Spicer Edwards Drury
R: Goldstein Lazzaro Taylor
I: Sellers Davis Downie Butler

Jy, Powell, Comben, Logue, Mahony, George and Free unavailable.

We have:
Hawks MARVEL
Saints MARVEL
West Coast OS
Demons HOBART
* MARVEL
Tigers MCG
Suns HOBART

I agree. No reason we can think we can win any of those games.

I'm at the stage now that I doubt if I will ever see them win another game. :'(

Call me crazy .. Throw a team entirely of our young guys . Take all the 26 + year olds out see how we go. Field as young a team as possible without stripping too much experience. The exposure would be good . Maybe we’d get a better gauge at what our future talent looks like . 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’d love to see more debutants . Thoughts anyone .

Call me crazy .. Throw a team entirely of our young guys . Take all the 26 + year olds out see how we go. Field as young a team as possible without stripping too much experience. The exposure would be good . Maybe we’d get a better gauge at what our future talent looks like . 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’d love to see more debutants . Thoughts anyone .
**** our VFL flag up?

Our midfield is still a massive issue. It hasn't really improved at all this year, actually.
We have been without our two best, most consistent and most experienced players for most of the year.

But I agree, the mix is wrong. Our recruiting has continued to pick players that will spend half their career getting to professional fitness which means we have no spread on the outside.

The Hawks by comparison have been much more competitive and have actually won games. More than this though, they have managed to improve their side in the following ways that we just have not been able to:

• invest in a rounded rebuild through the draft: they have talent in all areas that they paid good draft capital for, not just inside mids
  • unearthed great value in the 30+ draft range
  • successfully used the rookie and MSD to not only fill holes but recruit front line stars
  • traded established stars and a/b graders when they still had trade value
  • played the kids supported by a handful of talented experienced players
  • artfully sandbagged the Clarkson appointment and shifted much of the guilt of their alleged racist culture to another club through their media wing (I thought this just needed to be put in here as props for a sterling effort).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back