Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I could take away what his hard work has scored us. AFL is a results driven industry. We are not Fitzroy and we are not St. Kilda. We are Carlton and the bottom line is we have simply not been any where near good enough with Bolton at the helm. He is the coach and he has to take responsibility. 3 wins in 18 months is not good enough for me, but I guess I cant speak for everyone here. Also my opinion as him as a club man has little bearing in my opinion on him as a coach. I'm sure you're a ripping bloke yet that doesn't mean I would want you at calling the shots for an AFL team.
Carlton is no different then the other 17 clubs. The line "we are carlton" and the thought we are superior to other clubs should now be removed from people vocab and thoughts. Its arrogance that crippled our club and yet people still think we are better than other clubs. We are not!

If any club had the amount of changes in 4 years like we have, they would also be sttuggling. Its compounded by Doc being out for 2 years straight, Kruezer having a tough year last year and being injured this year. Pickett injured and approx 75% (at a guess) of our playing group having under 50 games.

We are a club that has so much potential but just not there yet.

We have the cattle and i think people are expecting too much. Ive stated numerous times for me this year is not about wins. We need our percentage to be at approx 80 (which i think it currently is). I believe it was at 55% last year and for people to think we can go from being doubled last year to winning this year just doesnt compute.

If we toss the coach now it wont improve us. I can guarantee a few players will walk at the end of the year also. Its the wrong move. What we need to do is get games into the kids and get better.

2020 is the year... From what we were last year the improvement is already significant. Lets not forget that no matter what the win column says

I've been wholey invested in the rebuild but today's result was an embarrassment from the position we got ourselves into. Some unbelievably courageous individuals played their hearts out today, mostly brilliant kids and Crippa. Ultimately, the team was bereft of on field senior leadership, particularly when it was most needed in the 4th. The young kids have heart (exemplified by Walsh today, what a gun) and raw talent, but bloody hell, there is absolutely zero in the senior department apart from Simmo. Inspire them to win, you old bastards! Ney, be inspired BY them to win, you old bastards! Stick fat again, bluebaggers. Yet another year of punishment is on the cards but it will end one day, just not this day.

I don’t hate Plowman I just think he’s a liability in today’s game. He plays same position as Tom Stewart , see the difference. One is clumsy, cumbersome, a poor decision maker, a slow decision maker, a poor kick of the ball but has good endeavour and tries very hard.....the other is Tom Stewart.

I didn’t see that today from him though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I look at weitering for an example of the hope we need to have, last year he was lost and just the she'll of the kid who played his first year. But it's that 3 or 4 or 5 years players need to realise the belong.

No doubt Dow will make it but it's the year he needs. He is getting so much of the ball going fwd but his kicking is terrible. It will improve. He is getting the hardest part right, getting the ball from stoppages and able to spread, disposal will come.

Same for other kids. Setterfield, sps has lifted, LOB, Walsh basically already there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Backline and defensive positioning is more than decent. I'll go as far and say we have a top 3 defence in the competition.

But unfortunately they're not 100% responsible for ball movement. Defence collective disposal efficiency is through the roof.

Its the spread, it's the tactical movement, its the kicking to advantage, its the decision making and some players general attitude.

Fisher, Charlie and Gibbons were having a laugh at the start of fourth quarter instead of being focussed on the game.

This on field group is all over the shop.

It was a lack of execution

Last week you and a number of people bemoaned our long bomb, this week we all saw that they were constantly looking for shorter targets, but couldn't hit them.

How the hell would you know what a player was thinking " general attitude"?

As for tactical movement, enlighten me, what was your analysis of what our tactical moves were and more importantly what should they be?

walls is a dinosaur. i thought we were done with dinosaurs after malthouse. part of me thinks this super tall line up was his idea. this super tall line up seems to be something straight out of the 80s
Such an unresearched bit of nonsense. Walls didnt coach with too many talls. And he isnt coaching now, nor selecting.

allows charlie to drift up onto the wing
we don't need casboult to do that. I like charlie out on the wing and that should leave mcgovern/mckay inside 50.

today charlie spent most time on the wing and casboult took no marks inside 50.

cripps coming up to mark the bail out kick helps keep mckay/mcgovern closer to goal as well.

the 4th tall added nothing today. if lobbe needs a rest throw plowman in there or something. if shaun grigg can do it then anyone can do it. we're much better off having an extra runner than a 4th immobile tall forward.

Maybe just maybe a young developing list feels the pressure, has less time and composure and is physically spent trying to get the ball. Even talented ones.

Ok, then why are teams like Brisbane, St Kilda and the Gold Coast showing obvious signs of improvement? What is different at those clubs that has allowed them to all win more than a couple of games and us to remain at the bottom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything was so out of whack today it's not funny.

I'd almost go so far as to say we shouldn't bother reviewing at the footage.

What we need to do is spend an entire week out on the track practicing our kicking skills. The game will naturally change and open up if we can eliminate simple execution errors.

Bolton made it clear in his presser that kicking it to Gibbons wasn’t the game plan.

He said that our work forward of centre was “shocking”, which is rare for him to be so emotive.

The question I would ask him is why the skills are so poor, why is the decision making so poor. And it can’t just be youth because our second best players on the ground - Walsh - is in his fourth game and is as composed as any footballer I’ve ever seen and as skilful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was shocked too, simmo, Daisey? You'd think one of those experienced guys would have stood at the last line, what a ****** day.
Sydney always go this. They have a goal keeper on the line when the ball is in dispute in their D50

Our current midfield/clearances coaching pair are... Cam Bruce (not the gone mad guy) and John Barker. A lot of the time, our mids seemed to have all the time in the world to pick out a good target, and they didn't. There is some sort of breakdown in communications there somewhere and it needs to be sorted out.

Oh no... Dram's on another rant about Barker. Well... he and Bruce are the pair that needs to be working with the players on our forward 50 entries. And at the moment, the entries into our forward line resembles chopped liver!

There’s no scapegoats I’ve watched enough footy to know who will and won’t make it, (that subjective for sure) Do you honestly thing we weren’t to top heavy? And Levi has a place in this side?

Watched? What about played?

Levi was there as a fall back position, personally where the MC may have failed was allowing both MM and Charlie to play, but if passed fit, so be it. When Krooz comes back in the side, both Levi and Lobbe will be dropped

Levi was actually more lively than Harry, not to mention Charlie's lack of touch

Last edited:
Don't know whats going on at Carlton they pay these coaches hundreds of thousands of $$$ but yet they can't teach them how to kick a ball?

This is not just a once off, ever since I can remember our skills have been pathetic, Dow is no doubt talented but if he continues to show he has no skills then he will never make it.

It's not just him even our so called leaders can't kick the ball, I can't see us winning a game, another wooden spoon awaits us and a high draft pick.

I am sick of this shit, I don't want another draft pick, I want the club to start winning, but I doubt that's going to happen.

We have become beggars, I remember people on here cheering when we won the last few wooden spoons, and it has destroyed us and made us a laughing stock. It has eaten away the soul of this club, might as well forfeit the season, that all we have been doing for the last 20 years.

SOS has to be questioned not just Bolton, hope this is not going to be another **** up in a long line of **** ups by us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Back