Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh is a precocious talent who also happens to be a self-starter and a complete pro. He’d be dominating regardless who was coaching him. Same with Weitering.

I dunno where this mythology that Bolton is some kind of developmental genius comes from.

Our young players (who also happen to high draft picks) are performing at the expected level, and some are slightly behind.

Ok. It hurts. It hurts so much.

What I’d like to see (in addition to a win)...

Paddy Dow looks at some vision of C. Judd - WCE version. When your bursting through the centre square, it’s ok to take two more steps and go the whole way home.

A ban on Ed kicking blindly around his body.

At practice this week, our forwards line up on our backs and mid v mid move the ball forward in match sim. That kick into 50, if we get that right...

A rising star nomination for Sam Walsh.

Watch the boys have fun playing and training footy. Maybe the stakes are too high. Bloody hell it’s a good game, that stirs passions in and off the field.

*i couldn’t have posted this 2 hours ago.

I am and remain #BoundByBlue, let’s go out and take the dogs to puppy school.

I hear what your saying mate. But there clearly is just as much frustration from the coach as us about what the players are doing in certain parts of the ground.
I think Kreuzer back will be the big change..He will do what he does and carry the fellas.
4 games without an AFL standard ruck hurts more than anything else.

Always remember we have almost no mature players in their best career years. It makes a massive difference.
that's true but the problem is bolton thinks that he can fix that by playing 2 substandard AFL rucks.

Can someone tell me what Bolton brings as a GAME DAY coach? I'm sure he's great at nurturing our young blokes and instilling a culture, but I'm yet to see him work anything positive when the ball is bounced. I understand not wanting to cut and run after all the work put into the list, but when is the penny going to drop for him?

Jones and Weitering are not only our best one-on-one defenders, they are our best intercept markers AND our best distributors of the ball out of the backline.

Which is a damning indictment on the rest of them. Simpson, Daisy, Newman and Plowman all running around like headless chooks offering no penetrating kicking or meaningful rebound. These four cannot turn defence into attack, I would much rather Weitering or Jones with ball in hand hitting up a viable long target.

Having said that, the backline is the least of our problems right now.

The ruck has just become laughable, it is an indictment on SOS that he has not been able to find any even remotely adequate back-up rucks over the last few seasons. I would seriously rather just play Casboult in the ruck every week if Kreuzer isn't available, Lobbe and Phillips are uncompetitive.

Same with the lack of genuine small forward options. Laughable. And with the quality rebound out of the backline. Also laughable. These positions should not be hard to fill with at least "serviceable" options.

Seriously, SOS's "rebuild" is ****ing Bolton over on match day, there's only half a team to work with unless we have every one of our players fit and on the park (Kreuzer, Docherty, Williamson would make a reasonable difference right now). But part of building a good list is building a deep one, and SOS currently has us ridiculously exposed in a lot of areas. Let's not forget that half the players SOS has jettisoned have been his own recruits, absolute shit trucks given one year deals because they were a first round pick five seasons ago. The flippant attitude towards the rookie draft and the mature age "concessions" also boggles the mind given that's where a lot of these role players are often found.

Today was probably the worst Carlton performance I've ever sat through, just appalling to watch. I love footy and this club but they are seriously killing me right now, it's just so depressing.

Get it in quick to advantage and put the defence under pressure , it’s always been that way...ask Sticks
Bolts' comment in the presser about knowing when to go quick was spot on though. In our previous games, we've bombed long out of stoppages to outnumbered contests. I thought aspects of that actually improved today from the tempo POV. Execution was obviously awful at times and bombing it long to Gibbons is not ideal.

I have no problem with us playing a kick-mark game. It suits our list. We just need to master:
-when to go fast/slow
-when to go for the corridor
-when to continue hitting up short targets versus going long to advantage.

Some good smalls to swarm the fall of the ball/sneak away on the spread also wouldn't go astray.

Our defensive setup is good. It's been pretty consistent across the first four games and through the pre-season too. I don't think that needs any significant work put into it.

Pretty much every training session for the rest of the year needs to consist of skills practice and match sim of the front half of the ground. It's all about how we use the ball, the decisions made when going forward and the system the forwards have between each other (including the smalls).

Bookmark this post - I reckon by mid-season we will be winning every second game on average and end up with the 6-7 wins we were hoping for just in that period. Might jag one or two before then too. We'll get there.

I agree with you.

Said it after the Richmond game. We can’t string 4 quarters together. Probably a fitness (youth) issue. I believe we will improve by the midpoint as well. At least today we kind of played for 4 quarters but the players are so gassed when they get there what do we get!?!? You guessed it. Skill errors. Once our youth are AFL fit that they can get the ball and still have the energy to do something with it we will improve. Hopefully have a little bit of blood still able to pump around the brain and we might make better decisions too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought today’s game plan was super for Gold Coast but our boys failed to execute
our standard 3 talls of mcgovern, charlie and mckay are more than enough to stretch any defense in air. throwing casboult in the mix is just wasting a position and reduces our running ability.

All you people calling for Bolts to be sacked, who’s gonna replace him? Mick Malthouse?

Time to do the honourable thing, if things continue the way they're going and give the great man Ratts another try. I truly hope Bolts succeeds though but its hard to keep the faith when it feels like we're stuck in a time warp with no way forward.

that's true but the problem is bolton thinks that he can fix that by playing 2 substandard AFL rucks.
Garbage. Lobbe rucked all day nearly for two weeks.
Heres the truth of it. Charlie has now cost us two games with such an abysmal lack of presence. If he was doing something we wouldnt need to carry an extra tall to carry him.

Has the green shoots talk from the first few years gotten to the young players head? Ie. compare the majority of our younger players to Walsh. Walsh walks in and does his job - no qualms. Is green shoots a good excuse for underpar performance eg. I'm young and inexperienced, it's ok if I don't play my best, someone else can pick up my slack.

Can someone tell me what Bolton brings as a GAME DAY coach? I'm sure he's great at nurturing our young blokes and instilling a culture, but I'm yet to see him work anything positive when the ball is bounced. I understand not wanting to cut and run after all the work put into the list, but when is the penny going to drop for him?
his defensvie work is pretty good. but he actually hasn't got the slightest clue about ball movement. docherty made him look good in 2016 and 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Back