Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you are as embarrassing as our club. Bolton can’t kick the ball for our players, our skill execution is atrocious. If you honestly believe that a group of coaches who have been involved in football their whole lives wanted our midfield to kick to Gibbons as our main target going into our forward line then you are kidding yourselves.

Then who is responsible? We have a group of VERY talented young players. Why aren't they fulfilling their potential? Did we just unfortunately (and extremely unlikely) recruit a dozen or so players who can't execute under match day pressure?

There's a reason why basically the whole team has the same problem - turning over the ball and struggling to execute basic skills under pressure. It's above the shoulders. If almost the entire team has a problem with these things, then the only logical conclusion is to question the message being drummed in to their ears before they run out on to the ground.

Okay, my take on today.

One of the toughest games I have ever watched. Standard was shocking and not helped by umpiring. I never worry about umpires but thought they were poor.
We lost to a side on their home ground who has been in good form by 2 points. Could have easily won. (although that doesn't help)
Absolutely gutted when they kicked that goal with 10 seconds left.
Can't blame it on one thing/player etc as their were mistakes everywhere. Both sides.

Can't question effort. They gave their all.
Jones Weitering Walsh & Cripps were awesome. Murphy SPS Simpson Daisy Marchbank were good. Our defence is really starting to take shape and will be a strength
Ruck is a major issue. Lobbe for all his effort struggles. Kruezer needed asap plus more added at years end
Thought our forward line functioned well when we had clean ball and made the right decisions like at start of 2nd quarter.
The kicking to Gibbons when others had made space was amazing. Staggering
Quite liked Fisher as a forward. Could do well with Cuningham.

Our midfield is carrying so much youth and inexperience it makes it hard to compete consistently
Carrying Setterfield Dow SPS LOB Gibbons Fisher Walsh in the one side is just too hard. I rate them all highly but some need to go back and learn/develop and they need to be rotated in blocks through the seniors. IMO we are expecting too much especially of Dow Setterfield O'Brien after injury interrupted pre seasons. Gibbons is simply in the wrong position.
Issue is we don't have much else. Kennedy didn't play today
We desperately need some extra physicality around the ball. Badly. Kruezer will help
Each week we seem to be carrying 4-5 players as virtual passengers and you can't do that and win
Young players fatigue quickly and it causes disposal and leg speed issues.

I trust there will be a bit of soul searching this week and their should be.

Bottom line is it was a frustrating day but doesn't change anything for me
Still developing, still be ups and downs
People will be questioning the coach but I can't yet. They are obviously playing for him and as I have said I can't judge him until he has the cattle. At the moment too many under 50 game players to expect too much. That's reality
He won't be sacked and neither will anyone else. That's old Carlton

This years recruiting needs to focus on the 24-28 year group. We are lacking that group badly and it's costing us in so many areas.

As I have said all along that I will judge us properly at the end of the year. IMO the talent is there and its just time and development. Not a week or a month but 3-4 years is how long it takes. Weitering today is a great example. Even Charlie & McKay are still very much finding their way and inconsistent

Kruezer Cuningham maybe Jack back next week will really help as will another week of cohesion for the forwards. Williamson Stocker TDK Kennedy are players we can look forward to and we miss Docherty.

What I hope now is Bolton Judd Lloyd the coaching staff continue to assess, stick together, look at everything and improve. It's ugly at the moment but if you look at it individually we have improved a lot. It now just needs to continue to develop and gel.

The LIST REBUILD only finished last November and now ist about development and filling in the gaps. Phase Two.

I still have no doubt it will turn.

Go Blues
I have no doubt it will turn for us to and I can’t wait to high five the likes of you and many others on here (cyber high fives) when we are up and running.

Garbage. Lobbe rucked all day nearly for two weeks.
Heres the truth of it. Charlie has now cost us two games with such an abysmal lack of presence. If he was doing something we wouldnt need to carry an extra tall to carry him.
charlie is career worst form but still contributed more than casboult today.

It didn’t help, especially when you have an inability to play to your strengths. Garlett the forward to defender, Weiters the Backman to forward now Lang’s playing back in the twos? It’s rules on the run at the moment, Levi was never the answer..Polson wont make it (bookmark it) Gibbons not up to it however it wasn’t his fault today. Lots of shuffling of the deck chairs from an inexperienced coach searching for answers. TBH i can’t stand playing players that arnt ready being promoted only to be cut down. LoB not ready and then dropping them. Lobs clearly our of his depth at the moment...hindsight’s a wonderful thing but JSOS should be playing. Ide take him over Polson Garlett and Gibbons any day of the week. The Levi conundrum will be solved next week when Kruezers back.

Oh yeah Weitering spending a few week forward has really hurt his development, currently in early contention for AA. Switching Jones to a KPD, how is he travelling now? But you keep being selective and I will be happy to keep calling you out

Like it's Levi's fault that Kruezer is injuried and Charlie and McGovern were under injury concerns. I actually think Levi contested well

Garlett pick 78, although have always said he is a HF, but it was worth a trial. Polson pick 58? Love how you lot need a scapegoat, kid wasn't even playing today yet you still find a way to bag him. Gibbons tried hard, but should have forced more balls to ground in the 1st half and an SSP selection

Were you saying that about LOB late last season when he was raking up over 20 disposals a game? I will continue to say it, kids need at least 4 years to start gaining consistency, just look how SPS is traveling this year

We lost this game due to our execution, nothing more, nothing less

Backline and defensive positioning is more than decent. I'll go as far and say we have a top 3 defence in the competition.

But unfortunately they're not 100% responsible for ball movement. Defence collective disposal efficiency is through the roof.

Its the spread, it's the tactical movement, its the kicking to advantage, its the decision making and some players general attitude.

Fisher, Charlie and Gibbons were having a laugh at the start of fourth quarter instead of being focussed on the game.

This on field group is all over the shop.
Pinot I saw that too and I turned to my son and said “did you see that” , “if they get the first and put some pressure we’ll lose this”.
I would love to be a fly on the wall and see if that is highlighted in match review. Make no mistake that’s an attitude problem and I’ve been there with some bone head team mates.
Even Murphy having a chat to Holman after he put them in front pissed me off. It’s a different era but we hated anyone and everyone that didn’t have our jumper on full stop....having a drink after the game was the exception.

I’m over reading this autopsy thread. It adds nothing to my football experience.
It's funny, It gets less severe after 1 hr, then the next and so on. We all get emotional but then we breathe a little and remember where we are at. Then move onto next week where we should make 3 changes and definetly win next week and work our who we will play round 1 finals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok. It hurts. It hurts so much.

What I’d like to see (in addition to a win)...

Paddy Dow looks at some vision of C. Judd - WCE version. When your bursting through the centre square, it’s ok to take two more steps and go the whole way home.

A ban on Ed kicking blindly around his body.

At practice this week, our forwards line up on our backs and mid v mid move the ball forward in match sim. That kick into 50, if we get that right...

A rising star nomination for Sam Walsh.

Watch the boys have fun playing and training footy. Maybe the stakes are too high. Bloody hell it’s a good game, that stirs passions in and off the field.

*i couldn’t have posted this 2 hours ago.

I am and remain #BoundByBlue, let’s go out and take the dogs to puppy school.

I think Fisher’s gotta sit down with Paddy and watch the same footage - week in week out, soon after taking possession in the middle he delivers an ordinary, shallow inside 50 when there’s another 30 metres of space ahead of him he could be using

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your right shocking disposal kills us every week but imo selecting 4 talls played a part in the ineptness of our entries inside 50 .
Contributed to the lack of cohesion within the forward structure .
The frustrating thing was that despite having all the talls GC defenders killed us in the air in our fwd 50 .
They intercept marked all day long .

No doubt that at times our tall forwards hard poor leading and starting positions, yet we either couldn't hit a target or we kicked to their week side. I counted at least 11 poor kicks to a leading player that had great position, and at least 8 times when we ignored a better option

Competitiveness has been solid this year, execution poor

For the 16 millionth time it seems. No coach can change them. Beats me.
As I said to my son while watching. They could bring in Barassi and it wouldnt change. It can only change when the players change their bad habits.

Bolts did admirably in his first year with Craig as a senior advisor. Since then, the performances have regressed. Walls was well and truly not the answer and Bolts is definitely needing a senior, more experienced head to help him.

Can't get much more experienced than Wallsy and we know Wallsy is heart and soul Carlton. As a mentor i would've thought he's decent choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the players are not listening to the instructions from the Coach - who are we to blame for this ... the Coach for having no effect or the players for being imbeciles? I can't imagine Hawthorn players ignoring Clarko and getting a game ... can you?

They love Bolton to the point they can do anything they like and get away with it and on the flipside probably quietly disrespect him - probably a strong word but fairly close to it.. A coach saying he loves players in a press conference is pathetic to a new level. He is a manager of a football team and players are there to do a job based on your instructions. If players don't listen to your instructions then use players who can otherwise its not the players fault.

For me the big query on umpiring would be why McKay isn't paid anything. It seems to be if you are over a certain height no frees.

The frees in ruck contests, HTB, below the knees etc are honestly farcical across the competition and changing week to week. Consistency is non existent. Not the mention the centre bounces this week struggling to clear the ruckman in height. Unfortunately that is the way the AFL is administering the game. It's a joke and spoiling most games I've watched this year.

They love Bolton to the point they can do anything they like and get away with it and on the flipside probably quietly disrespect him - probably a strong word but fairly close to it.. A coach saying he loves players in a press conference is pathetic to a new level. He is a manager of a football team and players are there to do a job based on your instructions. If players don't listen to your instructions then use players who can otherwise its not the players fault.

how did you manage to come up with this?

Oh yeah Weitering spending a few week forward has really hurt his development, currently in early contention for AA. Switching Jones to a KPD, how is he travelling now? But you keep being selective and I will happy to keep calling you out

Like it's Levi's fault that Kruezer is injuried and Charlie and McGovern were under injury concerns. I actually think Levi contested well

Garlett pick 78, although have always said he is a HF, but it was worth a trial. Polson pick 58? Love how you lot need a scapegoat, kid wasn't even playing today yet you still find a way to bag him. Gibbons tried hard, but should have forced more balls to ground in the 1st half and an SSP selection

Were you saying that about LOB late last season when he was raking up over 20 disposals a game? I will continue to say it, kids need at least 4 years to start gaining consistency, just look how SPS is traveling this year

There’s no scapegoats I’ve watched enough footy to know who will and won’t make it, (that subjective for sure) Do you honestly thing we weren’t to top heavy? And Levi has a place in this side?

It's funny, It gets less severe after 1 hr, then the next and so on. We all get emotional but then we breathe a little and remember where we are at. Then move onto next week where we should make 3 changes and definetly win next week and work our who we will play round 1 finals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That’s why I didn’t jump on here straight after the game as it would have been nothing but expletives... reflection can do wonders for the soul.

Can't get much more experienced than Wallsy and we know Wallsy is heart and soul Carlton. As a mentor i would've thought he's decent choice.
walls is a dinosaur. i thought we were done with dinosaurs after malthouse. part of me thinks this super tall line up was his idea. this super tall line up seems to be something straight out of the 80s

Then who is responsible? We have a group of VERY talented young players. Why aren't they fulfilling their potential? Did we just unfortunately (and extremely unlikely) recruit a dozen or so players who can't execute under match day pressure?

There's a reason why basically the whole team has the same problem - turning over the ball and struggling to execute basic skills under pressure. It's above the shoulders. If almost the entire team has a problem with these things, then the only logical conclusion is to question the message being drummed in to their ears before they run out on to the ground.

So what you think the message coming from the coaches is this “alright fellas I want you to go out there put your body on the line run your guts out and when you get the ball.... just wait you’re going to love this new tactic... when you get the ball just kick it to the opposition! They’ll never see it coming’”

Maybe just maybe a young developing list feels the pressure, has less time and composure and is physically spent trying to get the ball. Even talented ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Back