Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, my take on today.

One of the toughest games I have ever watched. Standard was shocking and not helped by umpiring. I never worry about umpires but thought they were poor.
We lost to a side on their home ground who has been in good form by 2 points. Could have easily won. (although that doesn't help)
Absolutely gutted when they kicked that goal with 10 seconds left.
Can't blame it on one thing/player etc as their were mistakes everywhere. Both sides.

Can't question effort. They gave their all.
Jones Weitering Walsh & Cripps were awesome. Murphy SPS Simpson Daisy Marchbank were good. Our defence is really starting to take shape and will be a strength
Ruck is a major issue. Lobbe for all his effort struggles. Kruezer needed asap plus more added at years end
Thought our forward line functioned well when we had clean ball and made the right decisions like at start of 2nd quarter.
The kicking to Gibbons when others had made space was amazing. Staggering
Quite liked Fisher as a forward. Could do well with Cuningham.

Our midfield is carrying so much youth and inexperience it makes it hard to compete consistently
Carrying Setterfield Dow SPS LOB Gibbons Fisher Walsh in the one side is just too hard. I rate them all highly but some need to go back and learn/develop and they need to be rotated in blocks through the seniors. IMO we are expecting too much especially of Dow Setterfield O'Brien after injury interrupted pre seasons. Gibbons is simply in the wrong position.
Issue is we don't have much else. Kennedy didn't play today
We desperately need some extra physicality around the ball. Badly. Kruezer will help
Each week we seem to be carrying 4-5 players as virtual passengers and you can't do that and win
Young players fatigue quickly and it causes disposal and leg speed issues.

I trust there will be a bit of soul searching this week and their should be.

Bottom line is it was a frustrating day but doesn't change anything for me
Still developing, still be ups and downs
People will be questioning the coach but I can't yet. They are obviously playing for him and as I have said I can't judge him until he has the cattle. At the moment too many under 50 game players to expect too much. That's reality
He won't be sacked and neither will anyone else. That's old Carlton

This years recruiting needs to focus on the 24-28 year group. We are lacking that group badly and it's costing us in so many areas.

As I have said all along that I will judge us properly at the end of the year. IMO the talent is there and its just time and development. Not a week or a month but 3-4 years is how long it takes. Weitering today is a great example. Even Charlie & McKay are still very much finding their way and inconsistent

Kruezer Cuningham maybe Jack back next week will really help as will another week of cohesion for the forwards. Williamson Stocker TDK Kennedy are players we can look forward to and we miss Docherty.

What I hope now is Bolton Judd Lloyd the coaching staff continue to assess, stick together, look at everything and improve. It's ugly at the moment but if you look at it individually we have improved a lot. It now just needs to continue to develop and gel.

The LIST REBUILD only finished last November and now ist about development and filling in the gaps. Phase Two.

I still have no doubt it will turn.

Go Blues

To be fair where are the ups?. Most Carlton supporters have embraced what the club is trying to do, but patience is running thin. We should be winning the odd game, we just aren't.

Can anyone put a finger on the drop off in form, skill level, pressure from Charlie? It's like all the talent & polish we saw last year has simply left his body. This is where coaches earn their money. Get their good players playing well and the so-so players overachieving.
Never healthy drinking your own bathwater

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok, then why are teams like Brisbane, St Kilda and the Gold Coast showing obvious signs of improvement? What is different at those clubs that has allowed them to all win more than a couple of games and us to remain at the bottom?

Really? You need me to tell you? The fact that Brisbane and St Kilda are 2 plus years ahead of us in their rebuilds and Gold Coast still have a large number of mature players in their side. We either have kids or dinosaurs. The only mid aged midfielder we had playing today was Cripps. They had Miles, Swallow, Miller, Martin sexton plus Hanley Holman and Harbrow.

Watched? What about played?

Levi was there as a fall back position, personally where the MC may have failed was allowing both MM and Charlie to play, but if passed fit, so be it. When Krooz comes back in teh side, both Levi and Lobbe will be dropped

Levi was actually more lively than Harry, not to mention Charlie's lack of touch
I won’t argue with you on more lively than Harry.. End of the day he’s a remnance of the bad times in this clubs history. It’s not just about yesterday...that needs to be erased from the history books..along with Levi..it’s mediocrity that has stained the club. And to advocate he’s selection is an indictment and delusional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? You need me to tell you? The fact that Brisbane and St Kilda are 2 plus years ahead of us in their rebuilds and Gold Coast still have a large number of mature players in their side. We either have kids or dinosaurs. The only mid aged midfielder we had playing today was Cripps. They had Miles, Swallow, Miller, Martin sexton plus Hanley Holman and Harbrow.
This year reminds me of Brisbane last year. Competitive almost every week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got called away for work after the first qtr. ****!!!

Just watched the game.

No doubt there will be more melts than a fist full of frosty fruits on a hot summer's day. As bad as it was, this loss will piss the players off so much that it"ll put fire in their belly for the rest of the season.

Feel this was a "line in the sand" defining game to go forward and next week they'll unleash hell upon the doggies.

Also, Jones on current form would be worth the price of admission alone.

He had Weitering Jones Marchbank Simpson and Newman taking heaps of pressure off today.

Got the ball 14 times, took 9 marks and had a DE of 86%. 210 metres gained, 3 intercepts 2 turnovers - 1 less than Marchy. I mean not an outstanding game but certainly more than serviceable. He did his job. To say otherwise is having our whipping boy blinkers on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would we focus on contested work. We won contested possessions and tackle count. Effort wasn't the problem.

Need to works on executing chains of possessions and not fumbling the ball.

Imaging this board if we were towelled up like the Lions.
you mean it gets worse than the circus here tonight?

Don’t mask it knavey he’s a shit kick full stop , confidence got nothing to do with it. His “natural” technique is flawed and you either have it or you don’t that’s why his kicking is poor on the run and from a set shot.....see casboult

I hate to say this but skill deficiencies usually don't turn around. You can not reteach someone how to kick. I will put it out there but Dow is a likely bust

I hate to say this but skill deficiencies usually don't turn around. You can not reteach someone how to kick. I will put it out there but Dow is a likely bust
you don't need this level of silliness to have an effect tonight, michael.......

Bolton made it clear in his presser that kicking it to Gibbons wasn’t the game plan.

He said that our work forward of centre was “shocking”, which is rare for him to be so emotive.

The question I would ask him is why the skills are so poor, why is the decision making so poor. And it can’t just be youth because our second best players on the ground - Walsh - is in his fourth game and is as composed as any footballer I’ve ever seen and as skilful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question I'd be asking Bolton is do you think your game plan is too easy to coach against?

We clearly have a game plan that we want to implement, but I'm not seeing it.

Was kicking long to Gibbons on countless occasions when he was one on one against a KPD a result of poor execution from our players or the opposition breaking down our game plan and nullifying our tall forwards?

If we're one dimensional going forward, it can make it harder for our players to execute under pressure because the opposition know exactly what we're trying to do and how to stop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Back