AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst part about this performance is that the blues played well below their level. Forwards didn't get ahold of us. Stars in the middle had off nights.

This has been the case of nearly every team we play. They play below the level because we are defense first in the middle. Key forwards not starring because we prevent that 1v1 more often due to defending the 6/6/6 at the coal face.

200.gif
I could've just watched that over and over for a couple hours, bit the same...

+20 inside 50s, +4 scoring shots, +5 disposal efficiency. What a famous win by Essendon.

Oh wait, you're telling me we can't kick for shit and lost by 4 goals? Colour me surprised.

Kicking at goal (and in general) was really ordinary all night, just killed any momentum that we could possibly build.

Perkins, Stringer, Wright (weak as piss), Langford, Gresham, Hind all offered nothing at all. Carlton are 18 months ahead of us and have 2 elite KPF whereas I’m not sold we have 1 AFL standard KPF.

They need to keep Martin forward of centre, his disposal and defensive efforts are a liability, If we want to continue with this quarterback role then Redman is your man.
Agree with all of this except re: Hind. I thought he tried hard tonight.

Definitely agree about Redman. I'm done with the experiment. I get the vision and accept the premise. It should work, but Martin is the guy we want finishing.

game lost in first half
Can’t blame it entirely on injuries but key outs leaving holes it’s just our turn to cop them.
We’ll be back

Won the territory battle for long periods but couldn’t deal with carlton playing extras behind the ball and counterattacking like its serie a. I think we play actually better without a +1 behind the ball, have played worse when ridley has come back in. Scoring with a -1 in the forward line relies on more run and carry which our mids struggled to do, lacked line breaking pace. I suspect we won on expected score but the reverse happened when we played them last time

I noticed this the first week Ridley came back. He's a ball retention user, he doesn't really go for the corridor kick all that often. Redman and Martin more likely to get the overlap handball and run straight at the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effort and ability to make adjustments was good but poor goal kicking hurt.

Had our chances against a top 2 team and we legitimately are in every game at the moment. 2 weeks in a row let games slip but didn't expect wins so still hopeful for the 2nd half of the year.

Still need to get games into caddy, byran, roberts, saad and tsatas. Maybe hayes?

We have few blokes in pretty bad form and gaps in our list so should be able to rotate them all through at times.
Yes. I wouldn't mind if Brad just decided to try those guys out more during the second half of the year.

Blues are a year ahead of us, at least. We were always going to be up against it. Bad start, but not a disasterous result.
Fitness - improving, but needs to get better
2MP - I like the bloke, but he couldn't catch a cold. Please give Caddy a block of games.
We really shouldn't have any reluctance playing the 'kids' for the rest of the year. Tonight has shown us that we're not a real top 4 side, so lets get games into those that we think are the future. We need to inject (!) some energy into the team, otherwise we could end the year similar to 2023.

60 inside 50s to 40, 4 more scoring shots results in a 26 point loss. Our forwards have been crap. Wright, Langford, Gresham and Stringer have collectively kicked 3 goals vs Gold Coast and Carlton.

People here giving a rookie sub who wins the ball and is adjusting a hard time and completely gloss over the senior players being poor is laughable. What about the seasoned players adding sod all to the equation.

This has been the case of nearly every team we play. They play below the level because we are defense first in the middle. Key forwards not starring because we prevent that 1v1 more often due to defending the 6/6/6 at the coal face.
We defend while attacking also. Felt like we were protecting a 6 goal 1/2 time lead in the third moving the ball down the wings.

Blues are a year ahead of us, at least. We were always going to be up against it. Bad start, but not a disasterous result.
Fitness - improving, but needs to get better
2MP - I like the bloke, but he couldn't catch a cold. Please give Caddy a block of games.
We really shouldn't have any reluctance playing the 'kids' for the rest of the year. Tonight has shown us that we're not a real top 4 side, so lets get games into those that we think are the future. We need to inject (!) some energy into the team, otherwise we could end the year similar to 2023.
All good to say "play the kids" but Scott has shown his hand when he went and got Goldstein (35), Gresham (25), Duursma (23) and McKay (25).

All mature, well established AFL level role players

Is there a team with as many players as us with ridiculously glaring weaknesses?

Our top draft pick, can't kick. Not an average kick, he can't hit the ball with his foot. How can you be selected in the starting 22 of a professional AFL team when you cannot kick the ball?

Wright.
He's tall and is a brilliant kick. Unfortunately he is as soft as butter and can't mark. So as a key forward when you can't get the ball, you can't show your strengths. A stiff breeze would knock him off his line.

Hind.
Decent pace, decent skills.
Actually doesn't have a brain, like it's missing.

McGrath.
On this list because he could be so much more than what he is, instead we get 1m panic handballs to guys standing next to opposition players. Runs himself into traffic, just absolutely shits himself when he has to think. It's absolutely night and day what he's playing like now compared to what he was earlier in the year. Dropped off the same way last year too.

Stringer.
Can't move, has maybe a quarter of football in him a week. Will win you a game or two a year, will cost you just as many by not being reliable.

There is such a ridiculously low ceiling on this group because of the players we have, the least you could do is play players in the positions they excel at.
Play martin up the ground.
Get someone, like one of your rookies, and put them in the backline to play his role so we can get some actual experience into them.
You play Tsatas for 10mins a week. What are we actually gaining from selection at the moment? You ain't building a team to win anything of value this year and you aren't developing anything for the future.

You have players that could actually be useful trade capital, but you tank that value into the ground by not playing them.

Played too wide tonight but had little run through the middle. Really missed Redman.

Kelly never to play on wing again, slower than a Mack truck. Slow decision making too.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back