AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

The temptation for this side to slide back into that second half fade is going to demand a lot from them.

Here’s the thing.
Just yday Ess was in the conversation to potentially take second spot on the ladder. Second!!
When was the last time Ess and top 4 were in the same sentence?
The potential is there but more work is needed across all areas.
We are also very close to not even being in the 8. We are extremely fortunate we have the draw or we'd be in a much worse position due to our extremely poor %.

Well like I said. If others could work out how to find space and be in the right spot rather than running into the forest the we would not have our back pocket getting the footy and staying in his lane. Someone else has to command the footy. Him going slow is no worse than McGrath going fast into dead ends. Kelly gets delisted in my view but my issue is why is the back pocket the only bloke who has half a football brain despite the fact he does not have the kicking tools to make more of it.

You can see from the stands every time, he has the 45 pass which he dosent trust himself with which is ok, but he's always got the option to go back across which he never ever takes, it's always long down the line once he's let the opposition set them selves.

We normally always set up with a Duursma free on the fat side wing and a Redman or Laverde available to switch back to in the 50. Shiel was screaming and pointing at him a few times to switch back last night but he turns back and looks up the line

We are also very close to not even being in the 8. We are extremely fortunate we have the draw or we'd be in a much worse position due to our extremely poor %.
Very true. We may even fall out and not recover.
Softer draw ppl say but we got who we got and it’s an even comp.
I don’t think any other club would complain.
However we got wc twice and they challenged us twice. Even nth came to the party for a half.

What’s next:

Adelaide won’t be easy
Gc won’t be easy despite it being here.
Freo here is huge as will be games against bris and syd.

But there are highlights to Ess season:

We drew and beat Coll - a depleted side yes now but not really on Anzac Day. Depleted but still premiers.

Beat gws when they were 5th

Bulldogs. Amazing win against a side that had the wood on us for the last 9 matches?

We won after a bye which didn’t happen last year against Freo at Optus

The overall response post the port game was very good.

Defensive game has improved to the stage it was once rated 2nd in the comp behind port.

The durham and caldwell effect and the impact it’s had in the midfield

McKay in defence

Caddy - a glimpse of what’s to come.

I don’t want to discount Ess season by calling it a soft draw. Teams we played and defeated just fell out.
But I understand.

Seems to me that rucmken get little to no credit for dictating the centre clearance game when they do, and that accounts for large parts of our quality in the centre, and then all of the criticism when the midfielders can't get the job done.

By my count Melbourne brought an outnumber to the contest virtually all night. They almost had to do that without Gawn, Petracca and with whatever this version of Oliver is. He was often left completely unguarded on the defensive side of a stoppage / congestion. On occasions when Draper did bash the ball forward it was often this guy who was there.

Melbourne had its back to the wall in what really was a must win game, it was wet and it has lost at least 2 of its most potent attacking players.

So of course we try to play as though it is dry and do not bring anything like the intensity required to absorb Melbourne bringing an inside storm (which was the only thing it could do in the circumstances). Neale-Bullen quells Merrett, and makes sure he is under pressure with the ball, and the whole thing collapses to the point we're 7 goals down with 8 minutes to play?

What does our last 6 weeks look like if we're not a side that matches up well against Collingwood which, as I type this, is sitting in 12th position? We're chasing it back to the Giants game 9 weeks ago trying to find meaning there, aren't we?

All indications are that our finals form-line will continue, in the event we do make it. We cannot deal with heat.

But with Crows and Saints at Marvel in the next fortnight, the fixture rides to the rescue, again.

Last edited:
Got beaten up around the footy, just like Geelong game. Too few prepared to get low, attack the footy and absorb contact.
His form patchy of late but would need to look at Hobbs as well for end of year heat - he will take contact just need him to take first choice when dishing off.

The death star wasn't ready either, was half complete but it's weapons system was still operational, just a pity there is also a small flaw in our defences that can be exposed by a single fighter

At least the Death Star could aim straight. Our players are about as accurate as storm troopers when they're in the forward half of the ground.

Yeah look it wasn’t great. But at least it can’t rain at marvel next week

Jim Carrey GIF

In b4 open roof melts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I’ve heard the coaches been openly critical and annoyed at the players. Pretty damning comments from Scott and Ben Jacobs.

Makes you wonder how mentally fragile our playing group is.

Hobbs and Setterfield would both have been good in the conditions. We were clearly down on physicality.
Setters was average today in similar conditions.

Conservative coach, selections & gameplan.

It is what it is.

Best of the bottom 8/10 is this teams floor, unfortunately it’s also their ceiling.

However, it does means the gap between our best & our worse is decreasing.

Hopefully Brad is on top of all of this.

As soon as the team was read on Thursday and Melbourne didn't select a ruck, I wondered 'what do they know that we don't?'
The weather isn't a secret!
Did we have ruck dominance for the team we picked? Unfortunately no!
Piss weak!
We played pretty, soft, non competitive footy and got what we deserved.
There are a few frauds in the team.
Not getting into 2nd on the ladder is probably a blessing.

Frauds……name them

Disappointing night all round.
Draper needs to learn his role. In a night where Melb played no recognized ruck and no Petracca our mids should have been licking their lips and filling their boots. Yes weather played a part in the game but Melb had to play in the same conditions.

that's on you. we've had 3 good wins this season (Bulldogs, GWS, Collingwood) against teams that are on the edge of the top eight, some very close wins over some whatever teams (Crows, Saints) and then 4 victories over North, Richmond and WC (X2) that were deeply disappointing performances despite the wins. If you consistency struggle to defeat truly horrid teams, that's a pretty good sign you're not doing much better than them. and that's fine for the reasons ant has lined out. this team isn't particularly good and they've not shown that they are. so why think they are
Our percentage is the biggest indicator. We're basically out of the top 4 race despite being on the same points as Brisbane and Fremantle because of our horrible percentage. It's basically an extra loss.

I thought it would be tight and I wasn't wrong.

That said seeing us play non wet weather footy in wet weather was enough to tell me we'd got the game plan and team selections wrong that week and whilst disappointed, I wasn't rope-able, but it's a lost opportunity for sure. Just like Carlton, just like Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back