Autopsy Roast & Toast R19 vs Geelong & Changes for R20 vs Fremantle

Best vs Geelong

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO MIDFIELD, TOO SLOW and no DEPTH, but our major problem is Cotchin , Edwards , Astbury , Castagna and no Meatball. Ralphsmith should be playing before Aarts and as on the odd occasion Chol puts in , he's basically not good enough. Never expected to win today and early on in the the year I thought we'd struggle to make the 8, but based on our last 4 seasons I thought once the cavalary arrived we'd be good again. Unfortunately our cavalry looks shot.
Thanks for the last 4 seasons Tigers, but it's now time to look into the glass ball and see where our future is.
The cavalry has never arrived though, we’ve consistently lost players since the Adelaide game.

I know we have a lot out but we just can’t kick a big score at the moment . We need to really compete and not get blown away. Multiple easy goals in the last 5 minutes of the second quarter ended the game. They were also Pretty average and still beat us easily.

Good news......they won’t win the flag and will be a lot worse than us in a few years time.

Yup absolutely embarrassing
View attachment 1186624

his consistency and competitiveness are his biggest challenges. In a team that is struggling he’s not a player that’s going to put in a shift. In a team of downhill skiers like the bombers he could fit right in

40 points, did anyone seriously think we were going to beat a nearly full strength Premiership favourite coming from 9th place. Last week seduced some into thinking that we could cover up all those injuries, ageing players and those that get a bloody good run even though they barely do anything.
Rioli, Mansell, Parker and Stack showed something, that is really important for next year, and next week. New blood is needed, Dimma has to take a chance and not worry about losing.

They are going to be hard to stop this year just hope the Doggies or Demons can pull something out of the hat. Couldn’t stand to see Scott and Selwood on the GF dias.

We have probably got 1 year, 2 max, with this current group to win one more.

But what’s plainly obvious is that we need to go hard at the draft (no wasting R1 picks on Cerra). We currently have 2, A graders u23, Bolton and Balta. The build needs to start now.

his consistency and competitiveness are his biggest challenges. In a team that is struggling he’s not a player that’s going to put in a shift. In a team of downhill skiers like the bombers he could fit right in
Was just saying this to a drug cheat mate of mine, absolute perfect fit.

It's getting harder and harder for me to defend Castagna. He works hard, but he is just not having any impact whatsoever. The problem we face, if we do blood MRJ, is that his fitness is poor. Castanga's main weapon is his ability to run. And run. And run. It's not a like for like replacement. They're both small forwards, but they are vastly different types. MRJ is going to be more like a Papley or Liam Ryan - stay close to home. Castagna roams far and wide. But at the moment, nothing is more obvious than the fact that our midfield is woefully short of depth and class when stacked next to the big boys and our forward line is dysfunctional. Our key forwards, particularly Jack, haven't been bad. Lynch has had an interrupted season. But it is their lot in life as KPF to have quiet days - and when they did previously, we relied on a spread of mediums (Caddy in 17/18, Martin his whole career) and smalls (Edwards, Rioli, Castagna, Lambert) to provide a score. These things aren't happening. Something needs to change in the mix and we have nothing to lose by rolling the dice, as we did with Parker, today. I think MRJ is likely to debut before the season is out, particularly if and when finals become a mathematical impossibility.
Well put MRJ in for the other non performing small forward Aarts

The cavalry has never arrived though, we’ve consistently lost players since the Adelaide game.
Agree, but the participating cavalry with foot soldiers always managed to find a way, but this year we've struggled bc our depth is woeful, but not as woeful as our experienced participating players.

Will be worth watching the last 4 weeks to see Rioli off half-back. Our best by far today.

Looked really good in the role and his run through the middle built as well. We've got our Houli replacement sorted.

At the end of the day, we were always going to lose to the side that is in the best form in the comp when we were missing 4 of our preferred defenders (Balta, Broad, Vlastuin, Houli), our two best genuine midfielders (Prestia, Martin) and have a few guys banged up and not at their best (Cotch, Titch and Lambert).

Positives:
  • Rioli - looks borderline elite off half-back, tackle pressure was excellent
  • Parker tried his guts out (not a genuine AFL mid but went up against Danger for a while and gave his all), lacks some polish but big ask.
  • We stuck at it when you could forgiven them for been blown away
  • No new injuries (I think)

Negatives:
  • Obviously the fact we looked like clearly outclassed, we had opportunities and failed to take them in front of goal (Castagna, Baker, Lynch and JR all missed very easy ones). If they'd taken them, momentum is a funny thing.
  • Defence from kick-outs - I know SHocking designed this but our actual strategy from opposition kick-ins is poor. Cats got at least 2 goals (possibly 3) directly from kick-ins which ended up as 11 point turn-around.
The big question....

Are we a very good team who has lost a bit of depth and therefore injuries have cruelled us 2021 and we are therefore still in the window

or

Have we maxxed out (with a brilliant 3 flags in 4 years) and we now need to regenerate the core of our list?

Getting the answer to this question right will dictate whether our bounce back from this season into premiership contender is quick or not. We could top up like 1996, 2002 and then decline slowly (like Hawks, Pies, WCE) or we could use our draft hand, trade out/move on a couple of good solid players who are not going to improve and really cash in over the next 2 drafts.

They are going to be hard to stop this year just hope the Doggies or Demons can pull something out of the hat. Couldn’t stand to see Scott and Selwood on the GF dias.

We have probably got 1 year, 2 max, with this current group to win one more.

But what’s plainly obvious is that we need to go hard at the draft (no wasting R1 picks on Cerra). We currently have 2, A graders u23, Bolton and Balta. The build needs to start now.
Chuck baker into that mix surely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40 points, did anyone seriously think we were going to beat a nearly full strength Premiership favourite coming from 9th place. Last week seduced some into thinking that we could cover up all those injuries, ageing players and those that get a bloody good run even though they barely do anything.
Rioli, Mansell, Parker and Stack showed something, that is really important for next year, and next week. New blood is needed, Dimma has to take a chance and not worry about losing.

we were never winning this game. Spot on. Our best best was getting some game time into players and not losing anyone to injury. We’re a slim chance of making finals if we get some players back. Four years at the top level, multiple rule changes, FD cap it’s no wonder we’re cooked.

All good. It’s the climb that’s the best bit of following footy.

Thought Ross impressed again on the wing. Not the cleanest player, but is providing the same run as McIntosh without butchering EVERY disposal.

Rioli is absolute class off half back. All of the backs fought well considering the mids were giving them no help. Garthwaite the only one that was well beaten.

**** we need a midfield though. We can't get dominated like that every second week. Need to do something about teams scoring so easily from kick ins too.

Yep, those 4 played well. Have to say that I think Ross is getting there, despite a few clangers this year. I reckong Garthwaite is doing ok too.

Not fussed by the fact we lost. On paper we looked no chance. If we could have weathered Geelongs 2nd qtr speciality it would have been close.
Shai was a massive disappointment today. Not expecting him to be Dusty but against Geelong you need attacking midfielders. Their back 3 are too good. Big fwds will not get a hold of them. You need to score in open play from 30 to 50 out. Or bring the heat in the 50 and get them to cough it up. We did that for 1 quarter.
What are Aarts and Lasagne doing?? Where are they? Nowhere, thats where. I'd drop one of them. Not both but send a message and drop one.
Kudos to the backline. Were great considering the outs and Rioli was our best by the length of the straight.
Cotch is so cooked it hurts.

Still gonna win the flag

3ih616.jpg

We need a skilful small forward and a new game plan inside forward 50. Get our full list healthy with some decent draft picks and maybe an experienced mid via FA thrown in and we will be back in contention.

Even today we only had 6 less inside 50's than the Cats, been our Achilles heel all year, conversion inside 50 just terrible.

Out: Aarts and Castagna. Limited and don't offer enough. Lack of footskills.

In: Naish and Ralphsmith as half forwards who can hit a target inside 50m.

Enough of the small forwards getting a ride. Hugo was absolutely robbed getting dropped off the back of a 2 goal game whilst Aarts and Castagna are entrwnched in the side dishing up poor performance after poor performance.

Out: Lonergan and McQualter.

Our midfield, forward and offensive transition coaches.

There is a DISTINCT lack of cohesion in the forward half of the ground. Our half backs break the game open, hit a target in space 70 out, only for them to stop, wait and then bomb long to an outnumber rather than lowering the eyes or going on quickly. It is evidently not working, it hasn't worked all season and, when you have one of your key forwards marking 60 out from goal, kicking to your only other key forward in a contest where there is 7 opposition players in and around the contest as opposed to only 3 players from your side, you KNOW something is broken as there should be SEVERAL free teammates in the 50.

Last edited:
Well that went about as well as I expected. We were never going to be a challenge for the Cats given how undermanned we are. Still there were some positive signs with Rioli looking really solid across HB, providing a heap of run and carry when rebounding, but also being quite accountable when the Cats were in possession. Liked Parkers start to the game, but just couldn't go the whole game at that level, but it will come. Mansell seems to have settled in well in his second stint at the level as he is now getting more ball as his confidence grows. Didn't mind Jack Ross on the wing, linked up quite well and did some good things as well.

Unfortunately though too many of our better players are struggling to get to the end of the season, just don't have the ability to play at the level we know they can. Cotchin Lambert Edwards Lynch Nankervis & Astbury are all clearly labouring out on the ground, but given our current injury list have little choice but to put their hands up. I reckon one more loss and we might find that a lot of these guys get put on ice for the rest of the season as well as the others looking at returning from injury to ensure that they are right to go for the start of preseason.

Personally the changes I'd make for the Dockers game are

Out: Lynch Edwards Garthwaite
In: CCj RCD Dow

But I suspect that both Broad and Prestia will come in as the know they need to beat the Dockers to keep any chance of finals alive, but I reckon we're done as far as finals are concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back