Autopsy Roast & Toast R19 vs Geelong & Changes for R20 vs Fremantle

Best vs Geelong

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a skilful small forward and a new game plan inside forward 50. Get our full list healthy with some decent draft picks and maybe an experienced mid via FA thrown in and we will be back in contention.

Even today we only had 6 less inside 50's than the Cats, been our Achilles heel all year, conversion inside 50 just terrible.

The fascination with turning small forwards into defensive dorwards has killed our forwards. Look at George. Rioli. They used to be dangerous and popped up in space. Now as small forwards rhey barely find the football.

We need to stop coaching the attacking flair out of our players. Done it with so many players. Even Balta to an extent isn't utilising his pace or his booming kick anywhere near as much as he did when he first got into the side. The gameplan we have stifles any attacking instinct our players have.

I wouldn't mind seeing Naish tried as a small forward. Aarts and George have the defense down pat, but Naish is a great kick around the ground and for goal.

Goal kicking really fkd that performance, , 3 less scoring shots and we lose by over 40p , 4 set shots from <30m anyways we still wouldn’t have won , midfield shown up by premiership favs as sec rate , not totally unexpected. Key defenders shown up , not totally unexpected
Rioli very good again, mansell stack solid and, Rossy was good too. Parker was impressive ,listen he ain’t ever gonna win a Brownlow but as a role player I thought he was good is manic around the ball and lays good tackles , could keep his feet more and keep his eyes on it in marking contests , dropped a couple that I expect with more confidence he’ll take
Next 4w will tell us where this squad is at, if we dont go to the wire then the cuts may go deeper, than we expected
Carna Tigers

Looked really good in the role and his run through the middle built as well. We've got our Houli replacement sorted.

At the end of the day, we were always going to lose to the side that is in the best form in the comp when we were missing 4 of our preferred defenders (Balta, Broad, Vlastuin, Houli), our two best genuine midfielders (Prestia, Martin) and have a few guys banged up and not at their best (Cotch, Titch and Lambert).

Positives:
  • Rioli - looks borderline elite off half-back, tackle pressure was excellent
  • Parker tried his guts out (not a genuine AFL mid but went up against Danger for a while and gave his all), lacks some polish but big ask.
  • We stuck at it when you could forgiven them for been blown away
  • No new injuries (I think)

Negatives:
  • Obviously the fact we looked like clearly outclassed, we had opportunities and failed to take them in front of goal (Castagna, Baker, Lynch and JR all missed very easy ones). If they'd taken them, momentum is a funny thing.
  • Defence from kick-outs - I know SHocking designed this but our actual strategy from opposition kick-ins is poor. Cats got at least 2 goals (possibly 3) directly from kick-ins which ended up as 11 point turn-around.
The big question....

Are we a very good team who has lost a bit of depth and therefore injuries have cruelled us 2021 and we are therefore still in the window

or

Have we maxxed out (with a brilliant 3 flags in 4 years) and we now need to regenerate the core of our list?

Getting the answer to this question right will dictate whether our bounce back from this season into premiership contender is quick or not. We could top up like 1996, 2002 and then decline slowly (like Hawks, Pies, WCE) or we could use our draft hand, trade out/move on a couple of good solid players who are not going to improve and really cash in over the next 2 drafts.
I have said for a number of weeks why does Short in the main when kicking in go sideways and we end up blocked into the back pocket
He is supposed to be able to kick it 55 plus why not run his 20 and bomb it either down the middle occasionally ( set play) or down the line so we can at least clear the defensive 50

Just a reminder - we have 6 picks in the first 45. Inc 2 first round and the saints first 2nd round. Even when we lose, we still win.

Couldn't fault the effort mostly. A glaring issue for me was the amount of tackles that we'd usually stick - a clear indication that our S&C hasn't been up to par coming off a shortened preseason and back up to regular length quarters. We were dominated in the contest again and then cut up on the outside, particularly those couple of times when they switched it and then ran right down the middle.

Aarts simply has to come out, he offers nothing except frontrunning for easy goals out the back. Ross, like Caddy, is not a wingman at all.

Rioli and Stack were great as others have said, love that combination of toughness and skill coming out of defence. I also thought Garth didn't play that badly, he's obviously limited but always has a crack.

I look forward to us picking the eyes out of the draft, taking advantage of the opportunity to hire some more coaching talent and fitness personnel, and building towards something new.

Agree, but the participating cavalry with foot soldiers always managed to find a way, but this year we've struggled bc our depth is woeful, but not as woeful as our experienced participating players.
I think the types of players we’ve lost has probably cost us a win or two during that period. Previous years I think we’ve still been able to be a bit more balanced team wise.

SACK EVERYONE. I AM PLANNING A PROTEST MARCH TO PUNT ROAD OVAL NEXT SATURDAY AT 10.20am. DUSTY, UNSIGHTED, BALTA - HOPELESS, PRESTIA - A WASTE OF PICK 6. WE HAVE NO DEPTH AND TIME TO HAVE A 5 YEAR REBUILD.
Please wear a mask

Out: Aarts and Castagna. Limited and don't offer enough. Lack of footskills.

In: Naish and Ralphsmith as half forwards who can hit a target inside 50m.

Enough of the small forwards getting a ride. Hugo was absolutely robbed getting dropped off the back of a 2 goal game whilst Aarts and Castagna are entrwnched in the side dishing up poor performance after poor performance.

Out: Lonergan and Kingsley.

Our midfield, forward and offensive transition coaches.

There is a DISTINCT lack of cohesion in the forward half of the ground. Our half backs break the game open, hit a target in space 70 out, only for them to stop, wait and then bomb long to an outnumber rather than lowering the eyes or going on quickly. It is evidently not working, it hasn't worked all season and, when you have one of your key forwards marking 60 out from goal, kicking to your only other key forward in a contest where there is 7 opposition players in and around the contest as opposed to only 3 players from your side, you KNOW something is broken as there should be SEVERAL free teammates in the 50.

Wrong on Kingsley, he was our midfield stoppage coach last year and is our backline coach this year.
Lonergan is our midfield stoppage coach and Mcqualter is our ball movement and our forwards coach, he’s doing two jobs this year which is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't fault the effort mostly. A glaring issue for me was the amount of tackles that we'd usually stick - a clear indication that our S&C hasn't been up to par coming off a shortened preseason and back up to regular length quarters. We were dominated in the contest again and then cut up on the outside, particularly those couple of times when they switched it and then ran right down the middle.

Aarts simply has to come out, he offers nothing except frontrunning for easy goals out the back. Ross, like Caddy, is not a wingman at all.

Rioli and Stack were great as others have said, love that combination of toughness and skill coming out of defence. I also thought Garth didn't play that badly, he's obviously limited but always has a crack.

I look forward to us picking the eyes out of the draft, taking advantage of the opportunity to hire some more coaching talent and fitness personnel, and building towards something new.
Good post agree think our tackles were poor too easily broken

I have said for a number of weeks why does Short in the main when kicking in go sideways and we end up blocked into the back pocket
He is supposed to be able to kick it 55 plus why not run his 20 and bomb it either down the middle occasionally ( set play) or down the line so we can at least clear the defensive 50

It would be good if we could score from opposition behinds as easily as they can score from ours....

Let’s hope we pick wisely and don’t give up first picks for a trade

I think we need a mix. Bring a couple if players in and use some picks. Given our track record the last decade, i’ll back the club in to make the right calls.

Goal kicking really fkd that performance, , 3 less scoring shots and we lose by over 40p , 4 set shots from <30m anyways we still wouldn’t have won , midfield shown up by premiership favs as sec rate , not totally unexpected. Key defenders shown up , not totally unexpected
Rioli very good again, mansell stack solid and, Rossy was good too. Parker was impressive ,listen he ain’t ever gonna win a Brownlow but as a role player I thought he was good is manic around the ball and lays good tackles , could keep his feet more and keep his eyes on it in marking contests , dropped a couple that I expect with more confidence he’ll take
Next 4w will tell us where this squad is at, if we dont go to the wire then the cuts may go deeper, than we expected
Carna Tigers
Agree with this post. We should be holding our injured stars back and going into next year with a full well rested squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back