Autopsy Roast & toast vs Suns & changes for West Coast round 8

Best vs Suns

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this too.
I don’t even get angry like i did in the old days.
Just feel really chilled and relaxed at games now no matter what.
Same. Sat there yesterday almost emotionless.

If it helps you i am a Liverpool supporter 😂
Only Spurs could come back from 0-3 to level with two minutes left and then lose.
EDIT: Sorry, loose

If you back our recruiters in on most of their previous decisions including Hopper and Taranto (as you are doing now), you have to be consistent in backing them in to snare a gun player at pick 2 or 3.

Be consistent. Can't have it both ways.
Most of our success was on the back of navigating the compromised drafts with some wonderful picks late in the draft or in the rookie draft.
It's astonishing how well the recruiters did in that area.

Like seriously, when Young gave away that 'brain-fade' free kick in the third quarter, did any of our leaders go and have a chat to him, or offer some words of encouragement??
It didn't look like it.
Speaks volumes of where we are at right now.
Lack of leadership and awareness.
I'll confidently predict it now. The next phase of our decline will be individuals playing for themselves. Bank on it.

Most of our success was on the back of navigating the compromised drafts with some wonderful picks late in the draft or in the rookie draft.
It's astonishing how well the recruiters did in that area.
Yes and that confirms my point the point that we should back them in to select a great player at pick 3 (if we had it).

This looks no different to any other team that has won a succession of flags.

People wanna compare us to Geelong and Sydney but those cases aren’t exactly the same imo. They are always up and about - which is no mean feat. But they also haven’t had a period of complete domination in that time frame (save for Geelong 07-11, which was a long time ago now) the same way we have. Their strategy is to always be amongst the best and wait for their lick of the ice cream. This worked for Geelong last year, but it looks unlikely they’ll go back to back. Even Melbourne, with their mountain of first round picks, excellent free agent pick ups and fit list have struggled to go back to back. It’s not easy to do. We won 3 in 4 years and subsequently lost a lot of players (for next to nothing), a lot of coaching IP (for literally nothing) and generated a bevy of all time greats that have earned the call on when they go.

At the moment our list looks a year too late or a year too soon. That can change. But the fact we won three flags is a credit to the recruitment and coaching staff. I can’t believe people are potting them. It’s almost as if chunks of people in here would rather us have gone down the path of rebuilding in 2019 - which is what would have been required for us to be in a better position now- rather than going on and taking the 2020 flag. I know which I’d rather.

The decisions around Hopper and Taranto aren’t made for 2023. They’re made for half a decade. Once these boys feel ownership of the project, after some key retirements, I think we will see the best of them. Ditto for younger types like Clarke and Sonsie.

Reminds me of the Gramsci quote:

“The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Enjoy the wins this year - Balta’s ongoing improvement, Ryan taking his chance, Young developing. We’re having some wins, they’re just hidden under turgid and confuse football.
Legitimate to question the coaching staff because it is not the same as the premiership years!

Watching the replay, which is like grinding teeth.
I know he had his detractors, including me at different points, but geez - in a tough situation - Brandon Ellis has developed into a good leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me why Sonsie was subbed, I was at the game and if it was tactical then there were at least 10 ahead of him, leave the kid in

Watch the replay. Probably shouldnt be in the side for the rest of the season based on that performance. Be hard pressed to find a worse individual performance in yellow and black since the early 2000s

Watch the replay. Probably shouldnt be in the side for the rest of the season based on that performance. Be hard pressed to find a worse individual performance in yellow and black since the early 2000s
So based on that from what I saw, we should include Macca, Cotch, Cumbo, Miller, Ross, And Grimes with quite a few others

So based on that from what I saw, we should include Macca, Cotch, Cumbo, Miller, Ross, And Grimes with quite a few others

4 disposals, 3 ineffective, didn't run, didn't chase, didn't tackle, gave away a 50m penalty leading to a goal at a crucial time in the match. If we played with 17 we would have been better.

Yes others were awful too, but he doesn't deserve to be in the side, period. And if we reward him with another game after that we will be setting the standard that is you get a game even if you don't care/try.

If it makes you feel any better, it’s not as though you picked a bad week to come down; that summary sounds like all our games this year
Unfortunately I've been to every game this year excluding the Crows. We were just up there for the weekend and chose to come home early to go to the footy. Bad mistake....

Us getting Tarranto and Hopper really highlights that whoever is dealing the center bounce structure needs to be exiled from footy and never to return. Last year we 2nd for centre clearances and last for stoppage clearances and now it seems like our stoppage work just sucks all together.

This math should be easy with the injection of the two clearance players.

It’s not out God given right to make finals every year. 10 teams miss out and looks like we will be one of them in 2023. GC had 1 player with less than 25-games today. We had 6. GC had only Miller (and maybe Budarick) out of their best-22. I wasn’t shocked we lost. I was disappointed we played like busteds, but not shocked given the trouble GC have given us over the years.

All this panic about the Hopper draft pick etc.. is just crazy. Will Phillips went pick-3 and he can’t get a game for North. Tarryn Thomas was about 8. Dow went 3. Mac Andrew went 5. Draft picks guarantee you nothing. Trading them gave us TT and Hopper which we were absolutely desperate for. Not just for 2023, but for 2023-2029 and maybe beyond.

Carlton haven’t made finals for a decade with top draft picks coming out of their proverbials. GC have had a stack of them as well as some concession picks and will spend their 14th season without finals. Roos have had top draft picks for 5-years and just lost by nearly 100-points.

All the talk here makes me think TT and Hopper skip 6 birthdays each and turn 31 and 32yo in 2024. It’s just panicked lunacy.

Don’t you recall Port were 0-5 start of last year? Now 5-2. Karen Cornes 18-months ago said Adelaide’s team was the worst they’d ever fielded in their 30-years. They are an ounce of luck away from being 5-2. What did you honestly think of the Saints going into 2023? Be honest …. they sit 5-2.

There seems to be panic that if we can’t contend in 2023 we are screwed because a few more all-timers retire.

But why on earth are we not capable of re-grouping in 2024 as so many teams before us have done? Is the core of this team somehow not capable of ever playing good football..?

Martin
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Lynch
D. Rioli
Balta
Gibcus
Baker
Ryan
Graham
Broad
Taranto
Hopper
Bolton
Cumberland

Then there’s a bunch of really raw kids still finding their feet … which takes more than 25-games for most. And a few oldies (Grimes, Pickett, Prestia) who may recapture their best, but I’ve left them out.

So who in the list above is not capable of playing quality football in 2024?

You see, every year 6-teams finish in the bottom-6, 6 teams finish in the middle, and 6-teams finish in the top-6.

You might be surprised to know that sometimes a bottom-6 team who look like a bunch of duds one season make top-6 the next. And vice versa. And teams in the middle-6 jump up to top-6, and others down to bottom-6.

The basic logic of this is that nobody ever expects a bottom-6 team to make top-6 the following year, because they were crud the year prior. And nobody expects a top-6 team to be bottom-6 the following season, because they were really good the season just gone. See how this works?

So we all think because we are looking crap this year, all is lost for 2024-29…… despite having a core group still capable of playing very good football and still young enough where their best footy is ahead of them.

In 2022 the bottom-6 were : Hawks, Crows, Essendon, GWS, Eagles, North.

How many of those teams are looking better than Tigers and Freo who finished 5th and 7th? I’d say at least 3 of them. Who predicted that before a ball was bounced to start the season? Nobody.

If we panicked in 2016 like Lloydy (Tigers need a rebuild) or Karen Cornes (Tigers crazy giving up 6 for Prestia) wanted us to do, imagine what would have happened?

So why panic now, regardless of what 2023 brings? And don’t say ‘yeah, but we had better players in 2016’. Because we only learned that in hindsight - before 2017 Grimes and Astbury were always injured, Nank, Prestia, Caddy weren’t there, Broad was a spud, Vlastuin was still developing (remember the Vlas midfield experiment?), Baker wasn’t playing, Bolton wasn’t there, Balta wasn’t there, McIntosh was a real struggler … and so on….

Anyway… I know Dimma and the coaches won’t be panicking line BF nuffies like all of us are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
tl;dr

4 disposals, 3 ineffective, didn't run, didn't chase, didn't tackle, gave away a 50m penalty leading to a goal at a crucial time in the match. If we played with 17 we would have been better.

Yes others were awful too, but he doesn't deserve to be in the side, period. And if we reward him with another game after that we will be setting the standard that is you get a game even if you don't care/try.
That 50M penalty happened right in front of me and all the Richmond fans gave it to the umps as no way that was 50, I saw at least 4 GC players do the same thing with no penalty, also the kid has been badly missed managed over the past week and was left out of both VFL and Seniors for the Anzac game, I would be down as well, very poor from the coaches when we see experienced players like Macca & Marlon still in for poor form and ill disciplined acts which result in goals and changing the game, Marlon was better yesterday but Macca was putrid

Yeah this too.
I don’t even get angry like i did in the old days.
Just feel really chilled and relaxed at games now no matter what.
Me too . I saw us win flags in the 70s. When I started to get back into it in 90s . I never saw us win a final until 2017.
I saw the churning of coaches and players over the years. Stoked that the board, Peggy & Brendan have run things as they have.

I stopped getting upset at End of 2016. A review? LOL

All the asst coaches and Balme back to the club. Nank, Caddy, Prestia IN. Every single thing clicked. Game plan, lots of bog average players too.

Getting a flag out of it all was unexpected & so amazing. I rate that flag above the others.
Zen like on the losses and enjoy the wins .
Scream support at a game but Just watch footy on TV calmly.
The club lost good asst coaches during covid wasn't good and the chemistry of 2017 can't be replicated.
Even though COVID dealt me a hand where I could watch the 2020 flag. Smallish crowd cos Lions weren't playing and standing at ground level behind the RFC cheer squad, At 3 Qtr time, I wasn't confident but the guy next to me was

its seems TT and JH didn't work this year but Tarranto can play. .

I'm John Snow when it comes to coaching. Its yukky football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back