Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the replay , only saw spurts of the game due to a few misbehaving kids so maybe rehashing a lot of stuff already said.

Wow , to play a game style like that which no one would tip us to be able to play and win was just phenomenal.

Looked like we had a bit more zip around the packs and more leg speed across the ground. Pressure was first class across the board.
Plenty of great performances but obviously finishing needs to be tidied up.

Not getting carried away as it’s round 1 , but a brilliant win first up.

Where's jobe Watson? That clown is obsessed with trolling us at any given opportunity he even did it today bringing up Burton and how dumb we are for shipping him off. EAD you moron.

Too busy brewing a decaf, soy, chai, semi-latte with cinnamon sprinkle to actually have a relevant thought

It’s a huge win and but something I think that a lot are forgetting is the effect Sammy Mitchell would’ve had on that victory. The young guys would’ve leant on him immensely this week and during the game. If Clarko is the little master the Sammy is the master blaster (vocally and physically) 😂

Was thinking this all match. How much impact will the addition of Sammy to the team have? Going by today's match it could be quite significant!

Last edited:
Point is you don't play that many games and kick that many goals and be over rated.

I got your point, most of his goals are cheapies though.

How many times does he get the hard ball, burst through a pack and kick a major?

I stand by my statement mate, overrated AF!

The most pleasing part for me was that it was the younger guys that carried this performance today. Worpel, Sic, JOM, Impey for a start.

We have won a lot of games over the last decade but the wins I enjoy the most are the ones where nobody gives us a chance. Absolutely over the moon with todays performance.

Dare I say it I think the speach from the godfather of Hawthorn during the week made an impression. The chasing and pressure was awesome.

How the hell did Worpel fall to pick 45?!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adelaide autopsy thread makes me soooo happy. Is Tex really that terrible?

I've been on about this for several years and even have Crows fans agreeing with me. When he was a teenager playing for Norwood in the SANFL, he had terrific skills, good pace, built more like a Jack Riewoldt type. Since he's been with the Crows, he's bulked up way too much and finds himself wrestling with opponents rather than giving them the shake. If I were coaching Tex, I'd get him to lose weight and do some sprint work. No doubt he has the talent to be a top player in the AFL.

I loved the game but given there are all these posts out here (rightfully!) calling out the boys for a great win, I thought there were a few negatives we need to address going forward
  1. O'Meara was outstanding, but he did try and do too much at times, and a couple of times took the selfish option instead of looking for a teammate in better position
  2. Burgoyne's kicking has gone downhill pretty quickly. I noticed it last year, especially with his long kicking and he missed quite a few targets today that he'd normally nail
  3. We fumbled the ball a lot at ground level, especially Rough and Sicily. It didn't hurt today but it might.

All in all I'd definitely take that. I've got a huge 07 vibe about this season. So many young players coming of age and a couple of wise heads to lead us on. We will be inconsistent I reckon through the year but you can see the quality in players like Morrison, Worpel, Nash, O'Meara etc. Get another 20 games into them and we'll be thereabouts next year.

I was ok with JOM running through 50 and having a shot. Did miss that one but put 2 away as well. I hate how many forward forays we've blown over the years when we've been streaming towards goal then fluff a short chip pass. Back yourselves and slam them home.

Edit: proviso being that someone isn't wide open and in a better position. But give the pass to a 50/50, 60/40 a miss.... especially if lacing them out isn't your thing.

I was ok with JOM running through 50 and having a shot. Did miss that one but put 2 away as well. I hate how many forward forays we've blown over the years when we've been streaming towards goal then fluff a short chip pass. Back yourselves and slam them home.
Yeah if it's not your range or you are seriously burning a guy standing by himself in the goal square then pass, but running into 50 on a good angle should be go for home.

The banana where he missed Silk was the one the team won't like as much

Was thinking this all match. How much impact will the addition of Sammy to the team have ? Going by today's match it could be quite significant!
Tex shouldve been wearing cricket pads.

Honestly today I think we benefitted more from our on-field experience. With no runners delivering messages in play, and such low-scoring games with few breaks, it was a big help having Rough, Burgoyne, Stratton, Mirra, McEvoy, Smith and Shiels who are all very vocal, sharp and know the system. Crows had a lot of trouble working things out as a team.

I loved the game but given there are all these posts out here (rightfully!) calling out the boys for a great win, I thought there were a few negatives we need to address going forward
  1. O'Meara was outstanding, but he did try and do too much at times, and a couple of times took the selfish option instead of looking for a teammate in better position
  2. Burgoyne's kicking has gone downhill pretty quickly. I noticed it last year, especially with his long kicking and he missed quite a few targets today that he'd normally nail
  3. We fumbled the ball a lot at ground level, especially Rough and Sicily. It didn't hurt today but it might.

All in all I'd definitely take that. I've got a huge 07 vibe about this season. So many young players coming of age and a couple of wise heads to lead us on. We will be inconsistent I reckon through the year but you can see the quality in players like Morrison, Worpel, Nash, O'Meara etc. Get another 20 games into them and we'll be thereabouts next year.
You are spot on with #3. That cost us a lot of momentum. If we can be a little better with our hands, and a little better in front of goals, we will definitely contend for the big cheese this year.

Please spare a moments thought for...

David King
Brad Johnson
Gerard Healy
Mark Robinson
Gerard Whateley
Caroline Wilson
Damien Barrett
Essendon supporters
Geelong supporters
Bigfooty mainboard
You’ve made a glaring omission- Kane Cornes. The campaigner, will, no doubt be giving his ‘ how we’re Hawthorn able to get Scully’ line a run, as Scully’s return nears.

Dare I say it I think the speach from the godfather of Hawthorn during the week made an impression. The chasing and pressure was awesome.

You can just imagine what it would have been like to play under Kennedy in a more "simplistic" era. Parkin often talks about Kennedy as inspirational, and Matthews says he can't really remember Kennedy teaching him much about the skills of the game, but he could inspire like no other. I always like the way Kennedy says how everyone is capable of running and chasing and if you don't do it, you lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back