Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it early in the week the crows don't bother me, they lack real spine and fabric. We won because our structure defensively was to good and our intensity was consistently higher, it was a great effort.

I actually sat next to Crows legend Greg Anderson today, he was in the hawk suite.. ripper bloke actually, said Clarko was the best footy mind he's ever seen.

Hope that you enjoyed the game mate.

Is there any truth to the Crows supporters abusing and booing their own players at the end of quarter breaks at all?

I said it early in the week the crows don't bother me, they lack real spine and fabric. We won because our structure defensively was to good and our intensity was consistently higher, it was a great effort.

I actually sat next to Crows legend Greg Anderson today, he was in the hawk suite.. ripper bloke actually, said Clarko was the best footy mind he's ever seen.

I met Greg about 25 years ago. You're right - properly good bloke

Does he still rock the magic mullet?

A few quick thoughts:
- Two rucks worked well. Whilst neither dominated both were more than handy. A few gray contested marks, a few goals, and I can’t count the amount of times Cegs was at the bottom of the pack.
- great to see the midfielders kicking more goals. We haven’t seen this during Clarko’s reign so far. A nice change up, which will in turn open our forward line more.
- Now I’m confused re who goes out for Scully and Wingard!!!

Clarko & crew take a bow

IMHO we have integrated a bit of the tigers game plan in moving the ball fwd quickly at all costs to players up the field who have been instructed to play in front and attack the ball ...though we were beaten in most of the stats, our direct play was the difference.

Special shout out to our defence who i thought might struggle against the big crow forwards on their own deck (esp Impey who was ridiculous and Sic Mirra and the young fella Scrimshaw

Hopefully Cousins will now have belief that he can make it at this level after dominating in the VFL last year

the only low light for me was Jack's kicking at goal

Beat the doggies next week and the AFL flogs will be spewing :D:p

I don't get all the frothing over Betts, overrated AF and isn't half the player Breust is yet gets a million times more love.

Mate he's inside the top 50 all time goal kickers as a small forward and the majority have been pretty bloody spectacular. That's a head scratcher of a comment.

Point is you don't play that many games and kick that many goals and be over rated.

I got your point, most of his goals are cheapies though.

How many times does he get the hard ball, burst through a pack and kick a major?

I stand by my statement mate, overrated AF!

1553340917644.png

1553341041070.png

Attachments

• 1553341003789.png
    1553341003789.png
    89 KB · Views: 70

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has NFI how to coach either, so nothing he says or does surprises me.
I truly believe that when we missed the finals in 2009 Clarko learned a lot about the importance it was to have a plan A, B and C for when things go to sh*t. Some of these other coaches are one trick ponies and it really shows when the whips get cracking. With Clarko you just know the great man would’ve been watching the Swans vs Dogs game like a hawk (pun intended) cause that’s just how he’s wired. I just hope that the great man gets some 💤 and a feed cause he bloody well deserves it.

James Sicily dominated the 1st 1/4. I am pretty sure Don Pyke told one of his players to stop his influence. Mirra was also good which meant that the backline was working well together.

The Hawks bombed the ball into the forward line and it worked!! I hated this in years past but it now works with the space of 6,6,6.

Consider: Chad Wingard at the feet of the forwards, and Scully running down a wing.

On paper Adelaide should have won.

But the Hawks found a way to beat them. Brilliant.

If there is a person out there who can calculate our players input against their draft position, I think we would see that being drafted to Hawthorn is their best chance to have a great career.

I love our club. And I am sure anyone drafted to our club feels the same.

All those pig's brain extracts have had an effect.

Jobe in his later years, with his mysteriously disappeared medal now being worn defiantly on his porcine chest.

animal-farm-penguin.jpg

It would really good to find a truly insightful and balanced pundit who could look at what Clarko does and imparts to his players - and how they carry out his strategies - rather than give a pump up to the latest flavour of the month tram/coach.

Seen enough pre season and today to say by the end of the season we will have improved on last season's over all finish.

Also worth recalling we have upto 4 very good players out - Birch, Scully, Chad and Titch - with fitness improvement to come from Gunners.

Love this club.

Was pretty quiet but should have received a few frees and had a hand in a few goals.
It's a funny old game.
He had 12, 6 of his touches resulted in scores. 4.2 were the scores, he kicked one, had 3 goal assists and given the way we kicked could have had 5 assists

Quiet but was directly involved in a third of our goals.

Put a decent amount of pressure on too.

Fair reflection of our night I think. Our numbers were lower than Adelaide across the board but we had more scoring shots than them.

27 scoring shots from 55 inside 50s is a good return, kick a little straighter and it would have been a belting

Agree to disagree mate, I just think he loves a cheap goal and doesn't put in a whole lot of effort anywhere else.

I would take a Chad Wingard or Luke Breust before him any day of the week.

Hell mate I would have taken Boomer Harvey over him as well.

Each to their own and think we're both grown up enough to allow each other an opinion.
About 200-300 goals clear of Breust and Wingard at the minute mate. He's even kicked more than Boomer despite playing for about eight seasons less haha (conceding that Harvey played a really different position). He'll rightly go down as one of the greatest ever small forwards no matter how much you agree to disagree with it.

Oppo detractors also say that Breust mainly kicks cheap, easy goals, and they're equally misguided.

It's a funny old game.
He had 12, 6 of his touches resulted in scores. 4.2 were the scores, he kicked one, had 3 goal assists and given the way we kicked could have had 5 assists

Quiet but was directly involved in a third of our goals.

Put a decent amount of pressure on too.

Fair reflection of our night I think. Our numbers were lower than Adelaide across the board but we had more scoring shots than them.

27 scoring shots from 55 inside 50s is a good return, kick a little straighter and it would have been a belting
I thought he played pretty well too. The stats won’t show it but when the ball came into our forward line he, Nash and others were awesome in locking it in there. This would’ve been paramount in their game plan to stop the rebound from their backman like Laird and Milera. You could see how dangerous they looked in the last quarter with their rebound when we went into a more defensive mode. Keeping that ball in our forward line even if we weren’t scoring also bought our defenders time to rest which was vital due to the huge amount of work they were doing for long periods.

Why are posters bashing Eddie Betts? He's kicked over 550 goals playing as a small forward, and most of his career he was at bottom feeding Carlton. That an all-time great small forward effort.

He was cooked last year, so there's not much point rubbishing him now. He's at the end of his career.

It would really good to find a truly insightful and balanced pundit who could look at what Clarko does and imparts to his players - and how they carry out his strategies - rather than give a pump up to the latest flavour of the month tram/coach.

Seen enough pre season and today to say by the end of the season we will have improved on last season's over all finish.

Also worth recalling we have upto 4 very good players out - Birch, Scully, Chad and Titch - with fitness improvement to come from Gunners.

Love this club.
You left out the underrated Howe who will be needed to nullify the oppositions best mid. He would’ve been handy to play a shutdown role on Sloane today who got off the chain a fair bit today. It’s pretty funny how we got no youf 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back