Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

You're living in the past. He'll be 31 years old this season. Richmond rely on the oldest player in the AFL to kick a winning score, and now rely on a 31 yo former star celebrity in the middle. It's hardly a plan for the future. if the Tiges lose this one, the implications will be massive considering how many old players you're playing, because there's no room for improvement in these guys i.e. no upside. :)
OH NOES!!!

We just elevated an 18yo 205cm, 104kg ruckman to DEBUT on Thursday, what are we doing?!?!?!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73661/default.aspx

Which Ben Cousins were you watching

Allowing for the fact that a generation is approx 20 years & taking into account Cousins' playing career to date (up until 2007), that means the generation we are talking about commences around about 1988 & since that time there have been some pretty handy players running around eg Carey, Williams, Ablett snr, Lockett, Dunstall, Silvagni, Kernahan, Hird, Voss. IMO, all of these players were better than Cousins.

Maybe if the post I responded to had stated that Cousins was one of the best players of the last decade, it might have been closer to the mark.

OH NOES!!!

We just elevated an 18yo 205cm, 104kg ruckman to DEBUT on Thursday, what are we doing?!?!?!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73661/default.aspx

About time! lol. I think it's great news if he plays. But remember the Tiges have only played 2 first gamers in the past 2 years, and so you have a lot of catching up to do. And on Thursday, you'll have 5 players in your starting 22 well over 30 years old. If Johnson wasn't injured it would be 6. That's still a very old starting 22 whatever way you look at it. :)

Allowing for the fact that a generation is approx 20 years & taking into account Cousins' playing career to date (up until 2007), that means the generation we are talking about commences around about 1988 & since that time there have been some pretty handy players running around eg Carey, Williams, Ablett snr, Lockett, Dunstall, Silvagni, Kernahan, Hird, Voss. IMO, all of these players were better than Cousins.

Maybe if the post I responded to had stated that Cousins was one of the best players of the last decade, it might have been closer to the mark.
If you can only name 9 players better then I think that makes him "one of the best players of this generation", hell even if there are another 20-30, it still makes him "one of the best players of this generation".

Carn the Blues!!!

Really fired up for this season. The wait over summer never feels any shorter!!!

A question out there for AFL coverage in Sydney...

This is my first AFL season in Sydney. Can anyone tell me if there is any good footy pubs? The game this thurs looks only to be on Fox Main Event

About time! lol. I think it's great news if he plays. But remember the Tiges have only played 2 first gamers in the past 2 years, and so you have a lot of catching up to do. And on Thursday, you'll have 5 players in your starting 22 well over 30 years old. If Johnson wasn't injured it would be 6. That's still a very old starting 22 whatever way you look at it. :)

so ?? 5 senior players out of 22 .. which means we have 17 younger players .. parrot have you ever played football before ??? .. cause i remember running out to play seniors when i was 19 and i felt alot better knowing i had 5 good senior players in my team, instead of having a team FULL of young blokes :p

It's like a broken record, Parrot. Time to let go of the age thing. Sit down, have a cup of tea and relax. You'll be okay.
Incidentally, I don't class 31 as "well" over 30. 35-39 yes but keep spruiking this if it makes you feel young.;)

Carn the Blues!!!

Really fired up for this season. The wait over summer never feels any shorter!!!

A question out there for AFL coverage in Sydney...

This is my first AFL season in Sydney. Can anyone tell me if there is any good footy pubs? The game this thurs looks only to be on Fox Main Event

I would suggest mate to go out and get Foxtel because it is going to be a big season for the Blues starting with a win tomorrow night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so ?? 5 senior players out of 22 .. which means...

..which means you have the oldest starting 22 in the AFL in 2009. 5-6 players in your starting 22 will be 31 years old or much older this season. Can't avoid that fact. By contrast the Blues oldest player tomorrow is 28 years old. If the Tiges lose playing so many old players, the implications are huge, because these veterans ain't getting any better. Nothing wrong with having one or 2 experienced players in a side, but 6 well over 30 year olds in the team is just ridiculous. Terry should be playing and developing younger players instead of at least 3 of them. :)

..which means you have the oldest starting 22 in the AFL in 2009. 5-6 players in your starting 22 will be 31 years old or much older this season. Can't avoid that fact. By contrast the Blues oldest player tomorrow is 28 years old. If the Tiges lose playing so many old players, the implications are huge, because these veterans ain't getting any better. Nothing wrong with having one or 2 experienced players in a side, but 6 well over 30 year olds in the team is just ridiculous. Terry should be playing and developing younger players instead of at least 3 of them. :)

We've been over this so this is the last time i will say it:

Richo - Physically our biggest KPP even though now plays on a wing. Which youngster on the list do you say should take his position in the starting 22?

Simmonds - Our most experienced and physically developed ruckman. Also one of the most versatile around the ground ruckmen in the AFL. Tell me, who should take his spot as starting ruckman?

Brown - A proven match winner in the past, who is arguably our most accurate kick at goal and one of the most creative around goal. Seen in the year he broke his leg just how valuable he is. Again, who do you nominate to take his spot?

Bowden - Another proven match winner (last year) who is our most experienced back man. Not only can play a quarterback role setting up plays from the back line, but has also shown his value up forward. Find me a youngster on the list who has poise down back, and can be a match winner up forward.

Johnson - YES I AGREE. Is taking up the spot of a Collins/Polo/Thomson/Hislop.

Cousins - Ex-champ, Brownlow medalist, Premiership player, but too early to call, has not even played a 'proper' game in RFC colours.

So is what you are trying to suggest, for round 1 2009, sell out crowd, massive game for both clubs:
*Dont play Richo - Play a Putt/Vickery instead.
*Dont play Simmonds - Play Graham instead.
*Dont play Brown - Play Edwards.
*Dont play Bowden - Play Rance.
(Who aren't in the best 22 currently)

Replacing with those above would not only guarantee a loss, but would also make supporters question WHY TERRY DID NOT PLAY THE BEST 22!
Its almost as silly as saying if the Blues are 3 years or so off a premiership, Fev will be in his 30's by then, so why not start from now playing and grooming another forward option for when he goes, so when he does the new player already has had a few years experience? Because Fev is in your best 22, and in 3 years time will still be in your best 22!

Chirp Chirp Parrot.

Matthew Richardson, Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown and Ben Cousins are walk up starts in Carltons best 22. FACT
Brett ratten would give his left nut to have them in your side.
Bowden would also go close to getting a game with Carlton

Matthew Richardson, Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown and Ben Cousins are walk up starts in Carltons best 22. FACT

so why did Ratten pass on cousins in the pre season draft if he would give his left nut for him?

I don't know what rock you have been living under..but Carlton had the chance to pick up Ben Cousins ...but like the other 14 clubs ..decided that it wasn't worth drafting a 31 yr old drug addict with dodgy hamstrings and who hadn't played and AFL game in 18 months ahead of a kid ...only richmond were desperate enough to draft him .

As for the others ..would we swap Fev for Richo ..No ..would we swap kruezer for Simmonds ..No ..would we swap any of our young small forwards for broken leg brown ..No.

And Bowden would not get a gaim with Carlton ..he's VFL standard these days ..cheap kicks playing loose in the backline isn't all that impressive.

Never said anything about swapping for other players.
I said they would walk into your starting line up, and if you think they wouldn't, you are kidding yourself.

so why did Ratten pass on cousins in the pre season draft if he would give his left nut for him?
Because Ratten's coaching and list management is about saving his career by drafting yet another midfielder. Building a competitive list around players who have at least five years left in the game comes second at Visy Park.

;)

And we're struggling to find midfielders and flankers. :rolleyes:

Blues fans would rather have Robinson and Yarran working their way into our best 22 by the end of this 2009...

I love how parrots making excuses...
Because he knows carlscum are going to get smashed in front of 90k.

And now that its live half of Australia will be watching...

This is going to be the perfect way for everyone to realize they have overrated Carlton.

CARNNNNNNNNNNNNNN THE TIGERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back