Toast Round 10 = Carlton 57-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Building the depth of the squad is the next tick box because we’re tracking nicely on the win front.
Circumstances have made us already do it with talls.
With mids/flankers, Lippa will be back - giving a surplus of two. I'm not sure they'll try to add too many more to the mix for depth - maybe one or two of Harrison, Ryan, Ruscoe, Macrae, Reef and Carmy will get some games like Bianco did last year.

Little bit insane to think we've had the hardest draw, a decent amount of injuries (now getting much better) and sit one game clear on top of the ladder with the second best percentage still yet to play the bottom 3 sides.

Bonkers

Circumstances have made us already do it with talls.
With mids/flankers, Lippa will be back - giving a surplus of two. I'm not sure they'll try to add too many more to the mix for depth - maybe one or two of Harrison, Ryan, Ruscoe, Macrae, Reef and Carmy will get some games like Bianco did last year.
It’s through the middle for me. None of Bianco, Carmichael, Macrae and Allen have had a look in yet and whilst I wouldn’t bank on any being permanent fixtures late season I’d like us to be able to say “it’s shit to lose Mitchell/ Sidebottom on the eve of finals, but at least we can turn to Macrae/ Bianco to play a role”. That squad rotation will also help the senior players through the season as well, IMO. The attrition of the season will be a factor as well because we will lose guys along the way to provide these opportunities.

We have some potential destiny in our hands

Geelong and Sydney the best 2 teams from last year seem to be struggling
Melbourne continue to lose to other top 6 teams
Port are winning but we obliterated them at the G
Brisbane are in rude form but can they really beat us in a big final at the G?

We need to just bunker down for the next 4 months, no moments of hubris, and pray for luck with injuries

And hope we execute in September like we are at the moment

It’s through the middle for me. None of Bianco, Carmichael, Macrae and Allen have had a look in yet and whilst I wouldn’t bank on any being permanent fixtures late season I’d like us to be able to say “it’s s**t to lose Mitchell/ Sidebottom on the eve of finals, but at least we can turn to Macrae/ Bianco to play a role”. That squad rotation will also help the senior players through the season as well, IMO. The attrition of the season will be a factor as well because we will lose guys along the way to provide these opportunities.

I don't like the insiders chances - if our insiders get injured, I think we'd replace their roles from the current team and bring in depth to play on the flanks.

We have some potential destiny in our hands

Geelong and Sydney the best 2 teams from last year seem to be struggling
Melbourne continue to lose to other top 6 teams
Port are winning but we obliterated them at the G
Brisbane are in rude form but can they really beat us in a big final at the G?

We need to just bunker down for the next 4 months, no moments of hubris, and pray for luck with injuries

And hope we execute in September like we are at the moment
Brisbane in front of 95,000 at the G against us doesnt worry me. Port likewise. Melbourne are the ones to be wary of i reckon

I don't like the insiders chances - if our insiders get injured, I think we'd replace their roles from the current team and bring in depth to play on the flanks.
That’s an interesting thought. I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that of the guys I mentioned at least 2 or 3 will get a block of games so it probably depends on how they perform.

Teasing it out a bit if it were Rd 24 yesterday and Mitchell’s been hurt I think you’re right. Crisp or Adams go inside and we find a role for whoever is missing on the flanks. If Macrae or Carmichael come in and outperform Adams that makes life interesting. The squad needs to evolve though so I’d be erring toward rotation to have a couple more names to turn to.

Edit: to be clear I’m talking exposing one at a time not wholesale rotation which I think is pointless. Say Carmichael for Ginnivan this week to give Ginnivan a full match at VFL level. Ginnivan returning v WC in place of Steele. Steele then returns on KB in place of Carmichael. Lipinski back v Adelaide for Adams who returns v GC in place of Mitchell etc.

Last edited:
I can’t enjoy that, love the melt, love the despair but the whinging is just sad.

”Sidebottom the odious w***er was laughing at our players”, keep the laughs coming Carlton, you do it to yourselves.

”Carlton are merchants of false hope”

”this is the death of this group”

lol you supporters
and we've got their 2nd round pick in this year's draft - does it get any sweeter?

When will teams learn that tagging/scragging/roughing up Nick Daicos is a futile exercise? They seem to put masses of effort into this at the expense of worrying about how to beat the other 17 players on the ground. And the best they have managed is to limit him to being influential rather than a superstar, while Collingwood just gets on with the job Of winning.

When will teams learn that tagging/scragging/roughing up Nick Daicos is a futile exercise? They seem to put masses of effort into this at the expense of worrying about how to beat the other 17 players on the ground. And the best they have managed is to limit him to being influential rather than a superstar, while Collingwood just gets on with the job Of winning.
I’d throw in a caveat that for all the talk coming out of the club of the benefits to our system v their system he cracked yesterday with the gut punch on Acres. IMO, we won’t see the very best teams put serious work into him so it’s a tactic for the minnow clubs.

That’s an interesting thought. I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that of the guys I mentioned at least 2 or 3 will get a block of games so it probably depends on how they perform.

Teasing it out a bit if it were Rd 24 yesterday and Mitchell’s been hurt I think you’re right. Crisp or Adams goes inside and we find a role for whoever is missing on the flanks. If Macrae or Carmichael come in and outperform Adams that makes life interesting. The squad needs to evolve though so I’d be erring toward rotation to have a couple more names to turn to.

I don't think they're even close to Adams as an inside mid, which is a role he's still performing well when he gets a run there - his issues are on the outside. He's very good cover for Mitchell's role.

It's guys like Harrison, Ryan and Ruscoe - maybe Carmy for a wing, who I think are the depth cover we should be looking at bringing in. Adams, Crisp, Daicos and Daicos give his excellent stoppage depth from within the team.

Teasing it out a bit if it were Rd 24 yesterday and Mitchell’s been hurt I think you’re right. Crisp or Adams go inside and we find a role for whoever is missing on the flanks. If Macrae or Carmichael come in and outperform Adams that makes life interesting. The squad needs to evolve though so I’d be erring toward rotation to have a couple more names to turn to.

Edit: to be clear I’m talking exposing one at a time not wholesale rotation which I think is pointless. Say Carmichael for Ginnivan this week to give Ginnivan a full match at VFL level. Ginnivan returning v WC in place of Steele. Steele then returns on KB in place of Carmichael. Lipinski back v Adelaide for Adams who returns v GC in place of Mitchell etc.
One change I'd make for next week is Macrae for Adams.
Tay had a poor game yesterday - he seemed to be second guessing at times instead of going with the first option, which meant his subsequent disposal put a teammate under pressure.
We don't want to take North lightly, but with Davies-Uniacke out, it would be a good chance for Fin to get some senior game time.

I’d throw in a caveat that for all the talk coming out of the club of the benefits to our system v their system he cracked yesterday with the gut punch on Acres. IMO, we won’t see the very best teams put serious work into him so it’s a tactic for the minnow clubs.

Not too concerned about that. Good on him…. He copped one in the guts himself iirc a few weeks ago and nothing came of it.

I reckon all clubs have tried it on him and failed. It’s a tactic that will die a natural death as it isn’t working

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they're even close to Adams as an inside mid, which is a role he's still performing well when he gets a run there - his issues are on the outside. He's very good cover for Mitchell's role.

It's guys like Harrison, Ryan and Ruscoe - maybe Carmy for a wing, who I think are the depth cover we should be looking at bringing in. Adams, Crisp, Daicos and Daicos give his excellent stoppage depth from within the team.
I don’t know how you can be that emphatic on the basis of no comparable form? Adams is barely going at the moment with most of his struggles yesterday because of his work in traffic. The number of times he won it in a contest was out and he didn’t give hands was ridiculous for a good AFL player. For all we know Macrae is primed to come in and put up a 25p 6cl 12cp game which will cover Adams. Without squad rotation we don’t get a look at whether your absolute statement stacks up so I’m embracing it for now.

Last edited:
I don’t know how you can be that emphatic on the basis of no comparable form? Adams is barely going at the moment with most of his struggles yesterday because of his work in traffic. The beauty of rotation is we get a look at whether your absolute statement stacks up so I’m embracing it for now.
Carmy isn't like for like with Adams and won't play the inside role.

He's been playing the JDG role in the twos. So i'd expect him to be the guy on the move and allow us to weaponize his footskills ( as opposed to his abhorrent handballs).

But Fly is pretty consistent that he'll back the player in.
It's not until round 18 or so that we need to stress about removing Adams from the mix.

unless he is sore, he'll be backed in to improve.
albeit he is a far cry from his early season form.

Carmy isn't like for like with Adams and won't play the inside role.

He's been playing the JDG role in the twos. So i'd expect him to be the guy on the move and allow us to weaponize his footskills ( as opposed to his abhorrent handballs).

But Fly is pretty consistent that he'll back the player in.
It's not until round 18 or so that we need to stress about removing Adams from the mix.

unless he is sore, he'll be backed in to improve.
albeit he is a far cry from his early season form.
Carmichael isn’t, but Macrae is. I’d really like to avoid a scenario where we’re deciding on the right mix and looking at players following Rd 18. The time for that is approaching and only gets more difficult as Lipinski, Frampton and McStay are fit.

Carmichael isn’t, but Macrae is.
yup.
But can Macrae go fwd like Adams?
I must admit, i haven't seen that much of the twos this year, but we don't carry many one positional players in our team.

My issue is that the club had a guilt edged chance to play Macrae when Adams was suspended, but chose not to.
Think that is very telling from a coaching staff that promotes positivity and confidence.

Also think the club missed a trick yesterday to replace Adams with Gin and see what he could do in the middle for the last 10 mins.
Game was done. Given they appear to be trying to expand his playing positions at training (which i just can't see tbh), would have been a good test.

I don’t know how you can be that emphatic on the basis of no comparable form? Adams is barely going at the moment with most of his struggles yesterday because of his work in traffic. The number of times he won it in a contest was out and he didn’t give hands was ridiculous for a good AFL player. For all we know Macrae is primed to come in and put up a 25p 6cl 12cp game which will cover Adams. Without squad rotation we don’t get a look at whether your absolute statement stacks up so I’m embracing it for now.

From the VFL games I've watched, that's what Macrae is doing at VFL - without significant hurt factor. Pretty rare for inside numbers to translate to be equal in AFL as VFL. Good AFL insiders, dominate when they play VFL - McRae is playing well, but not dominating. Adams', on the other hand, would absolutely shred the VFL.

In terms of inside mid, I doubt the club would have him ahead of Adams, Crisp, Lippa, Daicos and Daicos. I don't see him as posing a significant depth option. If need be, better to go with those already in the team and bring in a flanker to cover their flanker roles.

While Curnow still made an impact

Having the umpires give you all 3 of your goals is now considered "having an impact"

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Little bit insane to think we've had the hardest draw, a decent amount of injuries (now getting much better) and sit one game clear on top of the ladder with the second best percentage still yet to play the bottom 3 sides.

Bonkers
And we get to play the scum again in rnd 20:D.

And if all goes well this year we knock the Bombers out of the 8 in rnd 24 by a point

yup.
But can Macrae go fwd like Adams?
I must admit, i haven't seen that much of the twos this year, but we don't carry many one positional players in our team.

My issue is that the club had a guilt edged chance to play Macrae when Adams was suspended, but chose not to.
Think that is very telling from a coaching staff that promotes positivity and confidence.

Also think the club missed a trick yesterday to replace Adams with Gin and see what he could do in the middle for the last 10 mins.
Game was done. Given they appear to be trying to expand his playing positions at training (which i just can't see tbh), would have been a good test.
Is Adams in our best 23 as a fwd? IMO, it’s a no he’s currently in there as an inside mid that’s being squeezed into a forward role. If it isn’t Adams for Carmichael because it’s not like for like and it isn’t Macrae because he may not have scope as a forward the guts of it is Adams is safe in your eyes. There’s no chance we’re flogging that horse until late season then pivoting.

From the VFL games I've watched, that's what Macrae is doing at VFL - without significant hurt factor. Pretty rare for inside numbers to translate to be equal in AFL as VFL. Good AFL insiders, dominate when they play VFL - McRae is playing well, but not dominating. Adams', on the other hand, would absolutely shred the VFL.

In terms of inside mid, I doubt the club would have him ahead of Adams, Crisp, Lippa, Daicos and Daicos. I don't see him as posing a significant depth option. If need be, better to go with those already in the team and bring in a flanker to cover their flanker roles.
You know what the one sure fire way to test out your theory because that’s what it is not the statement of fact from your earlier post, rotate the squad. If I had to guess Adams hurt factor would be lower at VFL level than Macrae’s because on exposed grounds without the likes of Steele, Pendles, Daicos x 2 and JDG around him and how much he’s forcing it at AFL level he would butcher it beyond measure. Although he would put up 20% better numbers.

Last edited:
You know though what the one sure fire way to test out your theory because that’s what it is not the statement of fact from your earlier post, rotate the squad.

Macrae would be depth for Mitchell's role - no other roles really. Would you play Macrae as an inside mid instead of Mitchell against Melbourne? Because the next two weeks he wouldn't be up against finals quality AFL midfielders - so it wouldn't say much.

Personally, I think Adams is going fine. This board just hasn't yet bought into McRae's philosophy of not focussing on errors. He makes a lot of them, but he's a big factor in the whole ground intense effort based buy in that is making us go so well. Macrae just doesn't turn the intensity dial anywhere near as high as Tay does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back