Preview Round 12 Carlton V St Kilda Sunday 12 June 1.10PM @ Etihad Stadium - final changes post *976

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd bring in Sumner for Graham and make up for Puss' loss in the midfield by rotating that spare half forward in the middle (Lamb/Wright/Sumner/Army).

Tuohy, Rowe, Weitering
Docherty, Plowman, Simpson
Thomas, Gibbs, Kerridge
Lamb, Everitt, Walker
Gorringe, Casboult, Armfield
Kreuzer, Cripps, Curnow
Sumner, Wright, White, Byrne

They'll bring in some okay but not flash defenders so we can try to really pressure their main distributors while waiting to score on the turn over. For the midfield battles we do win we're also going to trouble them with height in the forward line. Going to have to set up well though, Saints at their best can apply immense pressure and have pushed better sides (should have won against the Hawks).

Need to kick straight early like we did against the Lions but would be nice for Walks and Gorringe to kick easy drop punts and put some scoreboard pressure on to push away from sides.

Anyone started a raffle for what Etihad injury Matty Kreuzer has this week?

If Bolton has taken anything from his time at Hawthorn, Kreuzer would need to be 100% to play, especially if Phillips is ready to go. That club always rests players and always gets rewarded at the end of the year for it. This would be a game for any of those sore blokes to miss. I get the feeling that getting a run as sole ruck could be the making of Phillips as it has been for Kreuzer this season. He also seems like that sort of ruckman.

Sumner is for Graham isn't really a straight swap, Graham is more a centerman filling in for Murphy where Sumner is more a small forward who goes into the midfield at times. 7 tackles and 16 disposals is an ok game from Graham, I think his replacement would have to play plenty of time in the midfield. Wright, Armfield and Lamb going very well as small forwards. Walker been reasonable without being great but he's building form. Everitt had a quiet one but has had good form. Unless we drop a defender like White for Sumner to come in. Good having these problems.

Hearing the Curnow presser today, he mentioned that "SOS plays the Carlton way and should get a game later in the year".

What I took from that is, the reason Jaksch has been made to really earn his spot is because there are things to his game he wasn't doing well. The fact that he got picked a couple weeks ago tells me he is finally doing things right and so maybe his time will come soon.

Hearing the Curnow presser today, he mentioned that "SOS plays the Carlton way and should get a game later in the year".

What I took from that is, the reason Jaksch has been made to really earn his spot is because there are things to his game he wasn't doing well. The fact that he got picked a couple weeks ago tells me he is finally doing things right and so maybe his time will come soon.
Then don't read Josh Fraser's VFL review. Seems Jaksch and Jones disappointed in their forward play and positioning.

If Bolton has taken anything from his time at Hawthorn, Kreuzer would need to be 100% to play, especially if Phillips is ready to go. That club always rests players and always gets rewarded at the end of the year for it. This would be a game for any of those sore blokes to miss. I get the feeling that getting a run as sole ruck could be the making of Phillips as it has been for Kreuzer this season. He also seems like that sort of ruckman.

Sumner is for Graham isn't really a straight swap, Graham is more a centerman filling in for Murphy where Sumner is more a small forward who goes into the midfield at times. 7 tackles and 16 disposals is an ok game from Graham, I think his replacement would have to play plenty of time in the midfield. Wright, Armfield and Lamb going very well as small forwards. Walker been reasonable without being great but he's building form. Everitt had a quiet one but has had good form. Unless we drop a defender like White for Sumner to come in. Good having these problems.
Would you drop Walker/Everitt for Sumner? #Sumnut was really putting in some great footy before the injury. At the same time, Walks and Everitt can break a game open on their day. I would probably do the White for Sumnut change come to think of it. They're down a tall forward and Plowman is the perfect height for Membrey.

Then don't read Josh Fraser's VFL review. Seems Jaksch and Jones disappointed in their forward play and positioning.
Damn. Just read it.

Quite a few players had very poor numbers... and a handful had immense games.

Would you drop Walker/Everitt for Sumner? #Sumnut was really putting in some great footy before the injury. At the same time, Walks and Everitt can break a game open on their day. I would probably do the White for Sumnut change come to think of it. They're down a tall forward and Plowman is the perfect height for Membrey.
I would do the Sumner for Graham. White can play up the ground if necessary.

It's a hard call. Everett two weeks ago had a blinder, Walker has continued to improve but isn't really kicking goals. I love Sumner's tackling and pressure and he has really neat skills. I think perhaps you could manage Walker, though if there is any soreness in Sumner's foot I wouldn't play him. White has been very good as have all our backs but I think we have one extra back in the side, I don't think we can take a player out who is more a centerman until Murphy comes back so Graham stays in. I think the call would come down to player management, even so that is nearly irrelevant with a bye coming next week. Sumner may come back via the VFL which would be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a hard call. Everett two weeks ago had a blinder, Walker has continued to improve but isn't really kicking goals. I love Sumner's tackling and pressure and he has really neat skills. I think perhaps you could manage Walker, though if there is any soreness in Sumner's foot I wouldn't play him. White has been very good as have all our backs but I think we have one extra back in the side, I don't think we can take a player out who is more a centerman until Murphy comes back so Graham stays in. I think the call would come down to player management, even so that is nearly irrelevant with a bye coming next week. Sumner may come back via the VFL which would be fine.
Sumner may come back via the VFL, but BB will be eager to bring him back in if fit.

Remember, he brought him in for his first game with virtually no game time so he was happy to take a punt then; so now that he's aware of what he's capable of - less risk - he'll be keen as mustard to get him back.

Again, another interesting team selection coming up!

I would do the Sumner for Graham. White can play up the ground if necessary.

That would be my choice.

Sumner had been getting midfield minutes before the injury. He's faster than Graham, a better mark and quicker thinking (IMO) he also tackles well and works hard defensively. May need a week to get back into the groove though.

Would be happy to have Sumner back and I'm sure he'd be many times happier, for coming back.
He looked resigned to a long term injury through our win against Geelong. Must be some relief for him.

Just on Sumner; Who does he look like. I've got part of the info in my mind but just can't connect all the dots.
I'm feeling......English Rocker but just can remember who. Thought maybe Noddy Holder but it's not him. Anyone?

I don't wanna say goodbye........for the Sumner......blah blah blah.............sealed with a kiss.
"Let us make a pledge to be in September"........I'm liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back