Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless McKay had arms 2 metres long, he wasn't going for the ball, he stopped going for the ball and went for impact at the last moment.

Instead of going on about this, We should be more concerned with how our team holds the opposition to a scoreless quarter and then coughs up a 36 point advantage, and how Steele and Couch get huge amounts of possessions yet the Crows midfield won on the night. We might kick players up the backside, but Ratts and his mates need a big kick up the kyber too.
Really doesn’t matter what we talk about We can’t change anything

What the same thing he did for Freo in 16, 17, 18 and 19? Absolutely nothing?

This whole narrative that Lyon will fix the team like he did when he first came to us and to Freo is based on an assumption that we have a list anywhere near those two teams.
Fact is he walked into both clubs when they had very decent lists.
His last 4 years with a poorer list is what you would be looking at.

I think we have a decent list capable of really good footy

Interesting idea.
Was looking at goal kicking accuracy percentages and think I might have a solution. Max sits at 34%conversion rate and the better forwards sit in the mid 50's.
I had a look at the NRL and discovered their better kickers are in the low to mid 80% range, and they kick from all angles.
Perhaps if we eliminate the ball drop, go back to place kicks, our goal kicking woes are sorted. Afaik, a place kick is still legal?
You know it makes sense.

Interesting idea.
Was looking at goal kicking accuracy percentages and think I might have a solution. Max sits at 34%conversion rate and the better forwards sit in the mid 50's.
I had a look at the NRL and discovered their better kickers are in the low to mid 80% range, and they kick from all angles.
Perhaps if we eliminate the ball drop, go back to place kicks, out goal kicking woes are sorted. Afaik, a place kick is still legal?
You know it makes sense.
Couldn't be any worse...

Interesting idea.
Perhaps if we eliminate the ball drop, go back to place kicks, our goal kicking woes are sorted. Afaik, a place kick is still legal?
You know it makes sense.
It’s legal. Good luck getting it done in 30 seconds without the ball support. Like it though.

It’s really disheartening that our midfield can get those kind of numbers and still get done by the opposition. Where do you go from there?
Maybe a matter of quality rather than quantity that makes the difference? It sort of indicates that a couple of mids got a lot of the ball and didn't do much with it.. big time

Steve Hocking wants 3+ weeks for McKay. He’s the one that stepped in to force this issue. Shouldn’t surprise anyone, he’s bad for football.

But running full pace into the face of an opponent with your shoulder is good for football?

3 plus in a joke, Clark got 6 plus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But running full pace into the face of an opponent with your shoulder is good for football?

3 plus in a joke, Clark got 6 plus.
He ran full pace at the contest, and was within mm's of the ball with his hands. It's a footballing injury, an accident.
You'd be doing the piss if it was a Saints player who pulled out of the contest to avoid making contact.

After a couple of days and nights on the heavy gear after Saturday night, I’m a bit more bullish about next year.
Get all of the shit luck, injuries, condescending and relentless media all out of the way this year and reset with a good draft hand and a bit of cash in the piggy bank.
Keep a fit list on the park next year and we will surprise a few. Including a lot of us. We just need a bit of luck. At some stage in my lifetime it will come. Burp!

He ran full pace at the contest, and was within mm's of the ball with his hands. It's a footballing injury, an accident.
You'd be doing the piss if it was a Saints player who pulled out of the contest to avoid making contact.

Yes we all know you are a supporter of this type of football. Unfortunately for youit is not the 1980's anymore and attacking the head of a player causing hofrrific injury is not part of the game anymore.

And don't tell me what I would think, don't be so arrogant.

Why are most in the afl media who have made a big stance against head high contact saying this is just a footballing incident? Maybe you have it wrong

Maybe. What I don't have wrong is that I saw a player straightline aother, turn his shoulder and smashed his jaw with a shoulder. What I have seen by the AFL is that are hard on Duty of Care.

I said last year that the Ben Long suspension would come back to bite them. 'Potential' to cause injury, yeah right, they have made a rod for their own back. They are into optics and the sight of a bloke running through another smashing his jaw in multiple places is not good PR. Makay is unlucky but he will pay so the AFL can look squeaky clean and so mothers will allow their sons to play AFL and not soccer.

Never said MaKay meant to break his jaw, but thats what happened when he had choices not to do it. Those choices are unpalatable as it means he pulls out, but thats is what will be argued by the lawyers

Maybe. What I don't have wrong is that I saw a player straightline aother, turn his shoulder and smashed his jaw with a shoulder. What I have seen by the AFL is that are hard on Duty of Care.

I said last year that the Ben Long suspension would come back to bite them. 'Potential' to cause injury, yeah right, they have made a rod for their own back. They are into optics and the sight of a bloke running through another smashing his jaw in multiple places is not good PR. Makay is unlucky but he will pay so the AFL can look squeaky clean and so mothers will allow their sons to play AFL and not soccer.

Never said MaKay meant to break his jaw, but thats what happened when he had choices not to do it. Those choices are unpalatable as it means he pulls out, but thats is what will be argued by the lawyers
See I didn’t see that at all and neither did most media types plenty who have played afl footy. They saw a contest for the ball with one player unluckily getting a broken jaw. I think the potential thing is completely different. I was with you last year on the second long incident. I was with the tribunal on the first one just as I was with danger getting 3 weeks this year. As I’ve said many times if they find it bump he goes for probably 4 weeks. If they agree with me he gets to play next week.

Why are most in the afl media who have made a big stance against head high contact saying this is just a footballing incident? Maybe you have it wrong

Because it's St Kilda. If it was a star of one of the big Victorian clubs instead of Hunter Clark all of the talking heads would be in an uproar for justice.

I think we have a decent list capable of really good footy

I think we have a competitive best 22 but have no real depth and a completely uneven list. He's got a better list than Richo but can't get them all in one place at the moment. Our list looks more like the Hawks or Adelaide this year minus the really young kids. Sides like Richmond, Bulldogs, Melbourne have some really top talent and in the case of Richmond and Geelong they are so well drilled and experienced that they can carry a few more. Even Brisbane has a lot more stars than us. I'd say the only A grade player we have is Steele and maybe Crouch this year. Marshall and Ryder probably close last year but injury and form hasn't been letting them show it. Dan Butler and Coffield were both playing close to elite last year. This year both are spudding it up.

Clarko is one of the great modern day coaches but with a few injuries and too much of a list imbalance he's back down the bottom of the ladder. Bevo won a premiership but with a bit of an underdeveloped list and some key injuries and form fluctuations saw them drop below us for a few years. To me until our depth gets sorted out no-one will help as frustrating as watching Ratts do the same thing that isn't working gets.

I actually think next year we could actually step backwards even further with bottom 8 likely even with our best line up as we lose a lot of dead wood and old guys and bring in kids that will need games. A new coach won't get a chance to hit the dround running so might as well get some good people in around Ratts to help develop the kids then make a decision on him when it matters.

Well yeah one foot is clearly off the ground... so it's left the ground by definition.

Not everyone has a two foot jump ala membrey.

Watch the action in slow motion. As I said he launches up and turns the shoulder and body into Clark.

Good to see you are not arguing that McKay touched the ball which clearly isn't the case.

The problem like Long is the action as a whole.

1) long made the decision to run at the contest at full pace. Mckay also made the decision to run at the contest at full pace,
2) mckay gets to the contest late and does not touch the ball. His opponent has clear possession of the footy. Long is also late to the contest and does not touch the ball.
3) mckay launches up at the player and his leading foot leaves the ground propelling his force forward at a greater rate. Long does not do this. Long goes lower to brace for impact. Long actually reduced his speed before impact. Mckay increases his.
4) mckay leads his shoulder into Clark. Long also does this.
5) McKay's shoulder hits Clark in the head breaking his jaw in two places. Thats how great the force is. Longs shoulder makes contact with his opponents head but the force is less of that of McKay's. Longs opponent gets up and plays the game out with no injury.

Like I always said. If Long gets weeks then Mckay gets months under the AFLs argument that it's penalty is based on the potential for injury. If Long didn't injure anyone but the potential was enough to seriously hurt them then McKay's potential when his opponent already suffered a broken jaw in two places must be off the scale.
AFL TALKING 3 WKS
Hunter may never play again

ps remember Nathan Browne hit on that essed guy
who played the following wk

Because it's St Kilda. If it was a star of one of the big Victorian clubs instead of Hunter Clark all of the talking heads would be in an uproar for justice.
Of course that’s the reason. It’s so logical. The media hate us but the part I don’t get is how it hurts or helps Stkilda if he gets suspended or let off. Maybe the media just think it’s a footballing incident. It’s certainly a lot more logical thinking that.

If anyone thinks we are a negative bunch on this board, it’s also reassuring to read other clubs boards and realise literally every fan base is the same.

For instance, the Melbourne board is melting after that loss to Collingwood, despite being 12 and 2. I’m sure most people on here already know this, footy is an emotional sport but a good reminder. Looking forward to the tigers at the G, can hopefully watch the boys in person again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back