Preview Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn v Brisbane, 1:45pm Sat 10th June, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone can underestimate how bloody good Port were in that first half. Yeah we were piss poor but they were …dare I say it…pretty awesome to watch

It was the perfect half from them
Second half some are saying port took their foot off. Look at their players reactions to us scoring, them missing handballs etc. That wasn't the reaction of a team costing to the siren

We were very poor in the first half but coming off two good wins and a competitive second half I doubt if the selectors will overreact this week.
Obviously Sicily and Mitchell will come back. Ward may get another week at Box Hill based on T4Ps comments.
Sam is not making short term decisions.

I'd put good money on Frost not being dropped.

They're not going to drop him off the back of a bad performance where we conceded the season record for inside 50s and had our best defender and captain out, particularly after good showings in back to back wins.

The midfield were given a bath early, I don't hold that against the backline. What I do hold against him though are the things in his control - constantly being in no man's land, his amateur skill errors, him trailing his opponent. And then there was him being removed from the backline altogether. That wasn't a desperation move to chase a game, the was a move to get someone out of that area of the field completely.

As for the last few weeks - everyone looks good when you're hammering a depleted team by 20 goals, and King was one of the Saints best players and Caminiti has played only a handful of games. Though I acknowledge that he didn't solely play on King.

The midfield were given a bath early, I don't hold that against the backline. What I do hold against him though are the things in his control - constantly being in no man's land, his amateur skill errors, him trailing his opponent. And then there was him being removed from the backline altogether. That wasn't a desperation move to chase a game, the was a move to get someone out of that area of the field completely.

As for the last few weeks - everyone looks good when you're hammering a depleted team by 20 goals, and King was one of the Saints best players and Caminiti has played only a handful of games. Though I acknowledge that he didn't solely play on King.
So you won't give him credit for defence in a game where we dominated, but you will blame him in a game where we were dominated?

So you won't give him credit for defence in a game where we dominated, but you will blame him in a game where we were dominated?

I literally said:

The midfield were given a bath early, I don't hold that against the backline. What I do hold against him though are the things in his control - constantly being in no man's land, his amateur skill errors, him trailing his opponent.

arupist you might want to read that too.

We won't win, if the lions are fair dinkum about their season , we will get walloped .though, we will look good for a half, our bad is really bad, I mean almost uncompetitive. Which , weirdly enough, I'm not overly fussed with.

I literally said:

The midfield were given a bath early, I don't hold that against the backline. What I do hold against him though are the things in his control - constantly being in no man's land, his amateur skill errors, him trailing his opponent.

I read that, but you dismissed two entirely good games just because we won. Shit, you even tried to put some blame on him for King who was Blanck's match up for most of the Saints game. Obviously you're gonna see all the bad of a player when they're fighting against 42 inside 50s in a half of footy.

Look, Frost was bad, I'm not arguing anything different, but you don't go from being the coaches and your teammates favourite to omitted in the space of two weeks. He's definitely at risk if the bad performances continue but I can't see it happening when we were completely walked over in a half of footy with almost completely unpressured ball coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I literally said:

I generally agree with what you are saying but defenders being caught in no man’s land is a symptom of fast, unpressured ball movement. Sicily has mentioned this. If the pressure isn’t on the defenders are going to get caught out of position because of the way we choose to defend. Early in the year we didn’t have the balance right and maybe there was something wrong this week. But frost wasn’t on his own here. It was a team thing. He just stands out the most because we all look for his stuff ups. He didn’t play well regardless of course and I’d not be against him being dropped but I can’t see Mitchell doing it.

The lack of pressure made it mission impossible for the back 6. They went end to end ridiculously fast and easy.

I generally think he is unfairly maligned but frost was genuinely poor & beaten comprehensively repeatedly. But I think he’s been good this year and he gets another chance I think.

I also thought scrimshaw was poor. Lots of contests he could have impacted defensively in the first half and just didn’t. Better in the 2nd half like most of them. Still think he is out for Sicily.

I read that, but you dismissed two entirely good games just because we won. s**t, you even tried to put some blame on him for King who was Blanck's match up for most of the Saints game. Obviously you're gonna see all the bad of a player when they're fighting against 42 inside 50s in a half of footy.

Look, Frost was bad, I'm not arguing anything different, but you don't go from being the coaches and your teammates favourite to omitted in the space of two weeks. He's definitely at risk if the bad performances continue but I can't see it happening when we were completely walked over in a half of footy with almost completely unpressured ball coming in.

Frost was spending time on a first year player against the Saints. It was a good performance, but it was absolutely what you'd expect from him against such an inexperienced player.

The skill errors, brain fades, trailling opponents and poor positioning has been a theme of his in almost every game this season, and they were on full display again yesteday. These are things in his control. This weekend he was WOG in a drubbing, and worse yet he removed from the backline completely even after the midfield started to break even and we had started to play well. That's why I think he should be dropped.

Hawthorn v Brisbane (MCG)

Our team against Port was:

Hardwick, Blanck, Weddle
Impey, Frost, Scrimshaw
Amon, Newcombe, MacDonald (Connor)
Moore, Koschitzke, Butler
Breust, Lewis, Brockman
Reeves, Day, Nash
Meek, Worpel, MacDonald (Bailey), Bramble, MacKenzie (sub)

Was an interesting game against Port, got smacked all over the field in the first half, from around the ball, in the contest, on the spread, defensive structure, and when we got the ball nothing to go to forward.

An absolute spray at half time i assume, aswell as Will Day being tagged by Drew we were able to bring it back, especially in the fourth quarter, and back half of the third. Think we outscored them by 20-30 points? Only losing by 55, away. Not a horrible result.

Will Day was heavily strapped around his ribs from a training hit and it showed early in the game before going to HB to also shake a tag, hopefully he's all good for this week, he's huge for us.

Newcombe had a down game, Nash was a lone hand defensively and wasn't able to get near it offensively for the most part.

But again forwards were pretty good, Breust kicked 5, Lewis 3 and were two of our best (5.3 and 15 disposals for Breust & 3.2 with 20 disposals, 3 goal assists and 13 score inv for Lewis).

Midfielders improved, and i would assume they are the main improvers leading into this game, seeing as it's been our strength all year, from winning clearances, to scoring from them.

Changes for the game are a little tough.

Sicily comes straight back in, Jack Scrimshaw going out. Boosts our defense heaps, he's our general and captain and he's probably the 2nd most important player behind Lewis for us.

Seamus Mitchell will return from illness, he's a defensive cog for us with his run and dash, composure but also his defensive nous and speed. (A few of you might not know who he is, but he plays similarly to Adam Saad.) he'll replace the debutant Bailey MacDonald, unfortunately for him.

The other's aren't confirmed and i am not really sure..

But Cooper Stephens has been super in the 2s, so has Ned Long (had 38 disp, 12 tck, 12 cl & 3 goals only last week.) Josh Ward returned on managed minutes and was dominant aswell, so all 3 will be in the frame.

Meek was subbed out, and was poor, we could go smaller or replace him with a tall like Ramsden, or maybe one of our MSD (Brandon Ryan or Clay Tucker.)

Cam MacKenzie could return to the 22 after a very good performance as sub after being managed.

But in short

Ins:

Sicily, Seamus
Outs:
Scrimshaw, BMac

Maybe ins in order:
Ward, MacKenzie, Long, Stephens, DGB (last but would be first to replace a KPP).
Maybe outs in order:
Koschitzke/Meek, MacDonald (0 tackles although not sure).

Scrim had only 6 pressure acts and zero tackles. If this is the area of his game which has been highlighted by the coaches as a need to improve then his game yesterday did him no favours. He goes straight back out for Sic.

Turned it over plenty with some absolutely lazy kicks as well.

Can take all the intercept marks in the world but it really takes the shine off when you cough it up so easily.

Had plenty of mates to be fair.

We’ve won our last two against them.

Now that’s been largely because our previously horrendously slow midfield could actually keep up with theirs when they were playing guys like Jarryd Lyons - both sides have very different midfields this year but if we can break even there we are a good chance, especially if Payne doesn’t get up from his delayed concussion.

We’ve won our last two against them.

Now that’s been largely because our previously horrendously slow midfield could actually keep up with theirs when they were playing guys like Jarryd Lyons - both sides have very different midfields this year but if we can break even there we are a good chance, especially if Payne doesn’t get up from his delayed concussion.
Both midfields are better, and will be a very tight contest in there.

Lions always suspect at the G. I reckon this is a winnable game for us.
We have played well against the Lions in recent years (couple of upset wins) even though they have been the superior team. Brisbane are especially vulnerable away from their fortress the Gabba so reckon we are a sneaky chance. Wouldn’t give us a snowflakes if we were playing up North!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back