Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the GWS game in the 2nd half today, the words of our most successful player - not necessarily best, but 9 premierships makes him our most successful - kept flooding the front of my mind.

After his retirement Motley said: “We played on the basis that we could not possibly let down the followers of the Port Adelaide Football Club - the greatest gift we could give them was a premiership.”

Imagine how much easier it would have been for Collingwood to shut up shop yesterday and just grind the game out, rather than have an 8 goal comeback and go down to the wire? But I am sure that giving the fans something, was a part of that motivation. The fans did not want to see them walloped by North Melbourne and the club would have known that.

I am not so sure anybody at Port Adelaide would think that way currently.

THAT BANNER HURT MY FEELS REEEEEE

No wonder the club has zero resilience.
This 'hurt my feelings' garbage has been permeating from the club for years & Ken has played a major role in enabling this. Boak was also a leader in this regard. Do the players understand this is elite level football with elite level wages & therefore we should get elite level resilience. It's not U5s at the local park.

McEntee & Evans didn't even bother me yesterday they were trying they are just state leaguers that shouldn't be anywhere near an AFL list.
I watch Sydney, then I watch us, and I can't believe how powerful Sydney's runners are compared to ours. Even our allegedly quick players: McEntee, DBJ, Farrel, Burgoyne et al can't get real separation or burn their opponent on the fast break.

And heaven forbid they track their player on a defensive transition, my lord. It's like they've been instructed to take a quick nap on turnover, panic, and then trundle along an ineffectual 3 meters behind their opponent with a defeated look in their eyes.

It's actually a great call but people just don't want to see it.

McEntee gives relentless effort and never shirks the contest - a totally separate discussion from his skill level or lack thereof.

Butters is becoming increasingly conditional in his approach to the contest. He is a player who believes his own hype. He needs to get back to what made him a great player and that was a dog hungry attack on the football and strong effort at every contest. Without that he's an average undersized AFL midfielder with tidy skills and that's about it.
I'm with you. Our midfield is a huge concern. They aren't as good as they are promoted to be, and they are supremely susceptible to some bodywork and perceived pressure. If a side goes defensive in the middle, they just pressure us until we turn it over, or they just capitalise on the long bombs to our forwards.

Butters the last few weeks under a tag has completely lost his way. Rozee hasn't been effective in a long while. JHF fights bloody hard and he's a bloody good footballer but he isn't the out and out superstar he is trying to be just yet.

I really don't know where the club goes from here. The talent has been Hinkleyed, the coaching replacement appears to be coming from inside rather than the external change we need.

Our variations in performance are just so miniscule, we are so god damn consistent in what we are. It's so predictable. I thought we were gone in the first quarter at 21 to 5. I hoped that being that far in front despite being outplayed, might lead to us lifting, but the game continued the same way for 4 quarters and we never showed a hint of being a chance to win that.

In my opinion, I think we're a whole rebuild cycle away from being a contender. We probably need to have an absolute disaster season next year, hope we finish bottom 4 and grab a superstar kid or 2 before we have a bounce to contending. And that's best case scenario. Realistically I think we've got holes everywhere, mainly led by poor coaching and a stale group. And I can't see that being shaken up anytime soon.

Out inability to deal with criticism (internal and external) is a massive part of the problem.

The real Port Adelaide would laugh at the banner and say "see you in finals **** head".

This Port Adelaide just cries in the corner.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
yeah m8, me being slightly agitated from a disrespectful banner after a pathetic loss is the problem.

The players deserve none of the blame for the overall loser culture, that is all on the coach and other senior leaders. Blaming the players is like blaming a poorly trained dog for its bad behaviour. They don't know any better.

I beg to differ. It’s easy to keep your head down & just go with the flow, but it takes real courage to stand alone & say the things others don’t want to hear. That’s what a leader does, & that’s what is lacking amongst the players.

I agree with you, Rozee should never have been made Captain. He’s a very marketable, skilful player, but that’s where it ends for me. If the next coach had any brains he would single out JHF, look him in the eyes & tell him “I don’t care about your age, or lack of experience, because you know & I know that come hell or high water, you were born to lead this club to its next Premiership. The players right now need someone to show them the way, they need someone to believe in, & that person is you. You put the flag in the ground & they’ll follow you to the ends of earth. Let’s get it done son”.

I beg to differ. It’s easy to keep your head down & just go with the flow, but it takes real courage to stand alone & say the things others don’t want to hear. That’s what a leader does, & that’s what is lacking amongst the players.

I agree with you, Rozee should never have been made Captain. He’s a very marketable, skilful player, but that’s where it ends for me. If the next coach had any brains he would single out JHF, look him in the eyes & tell him “I don’t care about your age, or lack of experience, because you know & I know that come hell or high water, you were born to lead this club to its next Premiership. The players right now need someone to show them the way, they need someone to believe in, & that person is you. You put the flag in the ground & they’ll follow you to the ends of earth. Let’s get it done son”.
Like to coach?

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

American sports are business. Still, they have well-run and bad-run organizations. The well-run ones play for their supporters; care about winning.

Being a business changes nothing.
It changes a lot when you compare what it was 40-50 years ago when winning was the be all and end all and players and administrators basically got zero reward apart from the ultimate glory.

It changes a lot when you compare what it was 40-50 years ago when winning was the be all and end all and players and administrators basically got zero reward apart from the ultimate glory.
My background is soccer. The game has been professional for almost a century. It didn’t change anything.

Any club worth its salt…” is true for professionals and amateurs alike.

My only complaint about the GWS banner was the 'media scrutiny' part was bullshit.

On the midfield, I agree with most here. They do not work hard enough for each other. All, except for Drew, run forward of the ball in the expectation one of them will bring it out. When their opponents pressure the ball-getter, they are ****ed. There are no blocks and shepherds. There is no cohesion at all.

The forward line was structured and played like Dixon was still there (first entry aside). For all the defensive forwards there for their pressure, GWS had no issue slingshotting it out.

You could see Esava was on a bad day from the first time the ball went near him.

The players deserve none of the blame for the overall loser culture, that is all on the coach and other senior leaders. Blaming the players is like blaming a poorly trained dog for its bad behaviour. They don't know any better.
Yeah you can’t expect 6 year old kids to kick a footy 30m between two goal posts 6.4m apart.
There not professional sportsman on hundreds of thousands a year who’ve being playing the game all there life.
Poor little tackers

Being based in Melbourne, I have relied on Kayo subscription for access to live Port games. A few years ago that was a pretty good deal because Kayo had a lot of other sport that I was interested in.

But in the past couple of years the value of Kayo has declined sharply. They have increased prices while at the same time getting rid of channels and reducing the range of sport being covered. In addition, I've been having ever increasing technical problems with it, often having difficulty getting it to stream properly to my TV.

Given all that, I've been thinking about getting rid of Kayo altogether at the end of this season and just living without live access. I thought that decision would be a difficult one but I've got to say that Ken and the boys are making it easier and easier with each passing day.

Yeah you can’t expect 6 year old kids to kick a footy 30m between two goal posts 6.4m apart.
There not professional sportsman on hundreds of thousands a year who’ve being playing the game all there life.
Poor little tackers

What are you on about? We're talking about the 'it's just a job' culture, not skill level.

And as I said he's been a defender for the best part of 18 months

Think you're giving him too many outs

He's a decent-good player but will probably never be more than that at the age of 25 now.

He still has not rectified any of the main criticisms he had when drafted

My background is soccer. The game has been professional for almost a century. It didn’t change anything.

Any club worth its salt…” is true for professionals and amateurs alike.
Football hasn’t been Professional for that long, a lot of posters here can remember players just played for the love of the game and the club.
That’s when we was most successful, since that’s all changed it’s all about the $.

Think you're giving him too many outs

He's a decent-good player but will probably never be more than that at the age of 25 now.

He still has not rectified any of the main criticisms he had when drafted
I'm not giving him any outs I said he could be an adequate defender that's hardly high praise.

What are you on about? We're talking about the 'it's just a job' culture, not skill level.
You can’t kick you can’t play, you trying to sell a different coach will change all that ? Players who have been missing goals for years will suddenly turn into Pluggers because the new coach will show them the way.
Your dreaming.
All a new coach can do is move them on and replace with someone better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back