Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope all the people that debated over Sam Mitchell being the brains behind our 2018 season have egg on their face.

Pre Mitchell: Dog shit game plan, weak midfield

2018: Excellent game day moves, midfield went beast mode. Won flag

Post Mitchell: Dog shit game plan and no game day moves.

Simpson as always held us back and has always been an average coach but 2018 bandaided everything

After this can the MC now please swing the axe next week.
Darling for dewar
Flynn and B.Williams for J.Williams and Barnett
Rotham for Burgiel(despite not quite earning it yet)
Jones for Johnston
Witherden for Culley (and play him in the centre!)
Chesser to half back - let’s move some magnets!
Do it! No harm at all

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope all the people that debated over Sam Mitchell being the brains behind our 2018 season have egg on their face.

Simpson as always held us back and has always been an average coach but 2018 bandaided everything
A premiership is a bandaid?

Mr Disappointment - Tom Cole
Mr Out of his league - Witherton
Mr Fumbles - Ginbey
Mr Big not much else - Jack Darling
Way to slow in all areas of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird game. It wasn't quite Adelaide because you could see the boys were making an effort but we were still being outworked all over the ground. There were some good moments but Hawthorn had answers to most of what we did.

The drums will beat a little louder this week and rightfully so. On one hand, this will be a teaching moment for the young guys for what is required at AFL level. On the other hand, our senior players already know and need to lead by example.

After this can the MC now please swing the axe next week.
Darling for dewar
Flynn and B.Williams for J.Williams and Barnett
Rotham for Burgiel(despite not quite earning it yet)
Jones for Johnston
Witherden for Culley (and play him in the centre!)
Chesser to half back - let’s move some magnets!
Burgiel has been mediocre in the wafl. Can’t bring him in.

Why on earth would culley come in ahead of trew lol

Weird game. It wasn't quite Adelaide because you could see the boys were making an effort but we were still being outworked all over the ground. There were some good moments but Hawthorn had answers to most of what we did.

The drums will beat a little louder this week and rightfully so. On one hand, this will be a teaching moment for the young guys for what is required at AFL level. On the other hand, our senior players already know and need to lead by example.

I saw very little in the way of effort honestly.

Well, that was our most disappointing performance since ... the last time we played Hawthorn.

Positives: McGovern and Barrass. That's it. Saved us from the 100+ point flogging we deserved.

Pass mark: Harley, for effort and winning contests, something so few of his teammates did much of. Shame he missed a couple of gettable goals. Elliott Yeo, for obvious reasons is excused for a quiet game.

Negatives: Everything and everyone else. Leaving aside the deplorable level of effort and skills execution, let's start with the team selection. The tall forward line isn't working, don't need to keep trying it any longer to see that. Flynn/BWilliams isn't working. I feel sorry to see Flynn injured, but based on what we've seen so far, I think BWilliams rucking by himself is actually better.

Also negatives: Do we have to suffer through Dwayne Russell and Matthew Pavlich for every home game? Russell is hyper-annoying and as for Pavlich, he openly barracks against us. Every time we actually do something okay (granted, not often today) he has to qualify it with a negative. Every free kick we get he questions. Any time a free kick isn't given against us, he's campaigning for it. Actually more biased than any of the Vic-based commentators.

It's line in the sand time for the club now. After that effort, either the coach needs to be sacked on the spot, and/or at least half a dozen players need to be dropped to WAFL. It doesn't matter that we put out a "weaker" team next week, if our so called strongest team is going to fail at the non-negotiables of workrate, tackling and contested effort, then it is more important to fix that than to worry about our theoretically best side on paper. Review the video of the game and using criteria of effort first, then shocking skills second, drop the six or seven worst offenders, regardless of who they are (captain or otherwise). Pick the best players from the Beagles whether they deserve the promotion or not.

My wife is a more diehard Eagles fan than me and she said based on tonight's effort she's not sure she could be bothered going to watch them in Melbourne next week. I completely understand.

Simmo -
The Pea-Hearted players that gave us that performance -

Get Out Of Here GIF by The Weekly with Charlie Pickering

This is a team of losers who've resigned themselves to losing and a coach that isn't getting through to his players. I'd say turf him now, but they sat on their hands after losing by almost 200 last year so I doubt anything will happen. I can't believe I actually thought this team would win another game this year.

Yeah maybe old nissy was right

We made a grand final before Mitchell got to the club..

Simmo may be past it but let's not rewrite history.

So somone that was at the ground, why were players leaving their man over and over to press the carrier only to have it handballed or kicked over the top to the man they just left?
Is it as simple as no pressure from behind where the tacle pressure should come from so they stop the chain?
are professional footballes to thick to realise what we can see in like 5 minutes?
the effort to be acountable was so crap.
every time they panned out the guy reiciving had no one near him.
Compare that to the risky kicks we were taking in the 1st that got repeatedly hunted and brought back i50.
it may tell you how mad i am about that one that i wouldnt have minded having ****ing ross lyon coaching us today...
i want to say that last parts a joke but fmd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back