Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

for those going back to 2018, I couldn't give two F^&*'s about 2018.
It was 6 years ago.

Today was putrid.

The only players that get a pass are Yeo because no one should have expected him to be on song with his week, Barrass and Gov because without them we would have been destroyed and had the first ever mercy rule, and Harley who had the highest disposal winner from all our Mids even after 28 days off.

So somone that was at the ground, why were players leaving their man over and over to press the carrier only to have it handballed or kicked over the top to the man they just left?
Is it as simple as no pressure from behind where the tacle pressure should come from so they stop the chain?
are professional footballes to thick to realise what we can see in like 5 minutes?
the effort to be acountable was so crap.
every time they panned out the guy reiciving had no one near him.
Compare that to the risky kicks we were taking in the 1st that got repeatedly hunted and brought back i50.
it may tell you how mad i am about that one that i wouldnt have minded having ****ing ross lyon coaching us today...
i want to say that last parts a joke but fmd.

Our work rate was abysmal. I'd say it can't stand but the last 4 years says different.

So in your own words it was entirely predictable that Yeo and Kelly were going to suck...but Simpson can do absolutely nothing about it? So his hands are completely tied, he just has to chuck two guys out there that he knows are going to stink the place up?
Sorry but I think you're the one who has to stop pretending you have any special insight, you're just like most of the rest of us on here, a giant numpty with NFI
Havnt we been over this already? Weird that you can’t read.

Yeo was very likely to struggle given what has happened. But who really cares about that. You act like his performance is the important thing here. If Yeo wanted to play it would be very strange for Simpson to block that.

Kelly always struggles after not playing. It was always likely to happen but he needs to get back his AFL touch somehow. If we had AFL quality depth playing wafl I would be fine with Kelly playing wafl but we don’t. A shit Kelly is still better than Culley / trew.

Part of me agrees with you but today it was really easy to tell that Hawthorn is a well coached and well drilled team. We were the opposite.
They also have a way better team and are much further long in their rebuild. At the start of the year when they looked hopeless people were questioning Mitchell.

People wanted Longmuir sacked at the start of the year as well.

Still waiting for your multiple examples of coaches completely changing a teams performances.
Wtf are you on about? I never said I had multiple examples of coaches completely changing a team's performance.
I do have an example of a coach who has presided over some of the most horrible, effortless games in AFL history though, but apparently (luckily for him) he bears no responsibility whatsoever for it:

1719747362178.png

It was really frustrating to see Mitchell (even at 35-18 in front and dominating most important stats) angry in the coaches box, only for the camera to pan to Simpson looking emotionless and still.

Simpson has zero dog in him anymore, and unfortunately the players are responding in similar fashion on the field. Like most here, I’m all for a new coach at the end of the season.
This! And then on the field for game break you can see the difference in intensity when explaining and directing the game plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf are you on about? I never said I had multiple examples of coaches completely changing a team's performance.
I do have an example of a coach who has presided over some of the most horrible, effortless games in AFL history though, but apparently (luckily for him) he bears no responsibility whatsoever for it:

View attachment 2035548
Nobody has claimed he doesn’t have responsibility over our position. He has made countless mistakes over the year.

But arguing that one of those mistakes is allowing yeo to play today is just brain dead hahaha

Got to be able to judge each decision in isolation and not allow your overall hatred take over.

Still waiting for your multiple examples of coaches completely changing a teams performances.

The question I'd ask you is what would warrant a change in coach for you? I'm being genuine here

I've been pro-simmo for a long time but at a certain point you need a change

Same thing happened with Woosh, it doesn't mean he's a bad coach or that the players aren't responsible

View attachment 2035548
He's had long enough now. Need someone new now.

Ya look, it's just time for Simpson. Familiarity breeds contempt or whatever, it's just diminishing returns and we need change.
Even putting our dismal last few years aside, a decade is a decent innings for any coach. If you're not contending for a flag at that point it's time to freshen things up.

The question I'd ask you is what would warrant a change in coach for you? I'm being genuine here

I've been pro-simmo for a long time but at a certain point you need a change

Same thing happened with Woosh, it doesn't mean he's a bad coach or that the players aren't responsible
I would be happy to move Simpson on over the offseason if we were getting a high quality replacement. As long as they were going to play youth more than Simpson has.

The problem is the new coach will likely be a downgrade.

Really wondering why the hell coaches are so well paid when they apparently have very little influence on how their team plays
Yep best job in end world, paid a crap load money to have zero responsibility, I'll take that job.

Can you explain to me how Simpson is responsible for...
Long term coach who has a game style that has lost all structure and function, senior players who are up and down (and desperately little development from young players). Rucks and midfield have sucked for years. Our defence is shocking despite having two elite intercept markers. Acceptable AFL level efforts are running at around 1 game in 4. Simpson has lost the players and needs to go asap
Chesser...needs to start ****ing doing something

No excuses for Kelly or yeo imo.
Yeo's father DIED this week and Kelly is returning off a significant injury. Ginbey is 19 and shown heaps. Chesser however is only getting games because he is a high draft pick, he isn't AFL level and looks like yet another horrific draft failure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back