Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. We have some best 22 players out that are possibly available this week (Curnow, Duigs, possibly Setanta?), however, who do you take out after a 103 point win

Out: White? (if injured, thought he was pretty handy in his time on the field. Created contests up forward, and can move back when needed)

In: Duigan (best 22, his composure and leadership could be important against the in-form Bulldogs. We are at our best when Duigan and Laidler are cutting off leads

Cases could be made for Touhy and Russell.

Touhy
kept King to 9 touches, which is ok. However, in context, King looked fairly dangerous. Touhy has been a fantastic addition, but the return of Duigan means that Touhy's spot could be under threat. However, he still has lived up to expectations and at the moment is a very good depth player

Through all of the immense improvements, i feel that Russell has stagnated somewhat. I think this is mainly through the ball being in the hands of Yaz, rather than Russell when streaming out defence, meaning Russell is more of a luxury than a necessity. Now that it is the pointy end of the season, a weeks rest could possibly be good for Jordy.

That's a fair point, but gauging some recent selections there may already be a determination as to who the coaches want come finals time.
Right now McLean is the only one that can fairly have a gripe for non-selection.
Let's see what happens after the Ants game today.

Think the confidence of dominating in the reserves and earning a recall with someone like Curnow would go along way in helping him recapture his early season form, so finals are certainly in mind with the suggestion.

Understand that not a lot of guys are deserving of promotion (also had Armfield in mind who I think is hard done by at times), but regardless of if anyone deserves it, Curnow's recent form also does not demand a straight in inclusion, so I think you need that perception so talented guys like Lucas don't feel on the outer and jump ship.

Lucas just looks really down on confidence right now and that may have stemmed from his injury last year. I just don't know.
After several fumbles and poor kicks he really looked down on himself last week and at one stage it semed to me, that a runner came out just to give him a little encouragement.

Too good a player to sit in the 2s for too long, but this year may have well passed him by.
certainly seems too hard to get his body and skills up to AFL standard but as you said he should be really pushing hard for the Ants Ellard style to improve his game for the future. I think today is the turnaround day for Lucas. I am expect thy's game appraisal will confirm this shortly

Too good a player to sit in the 2s for too long, but this year may have well passed him by

If he doesn't feel like he can get back in the senior side regardless of form, he will have no chance of improving his game.

Finals are upon us, plenty of time to force his way in our side, so certainly hope guys like him haven't give up on their seasons. You want/need guys like him pushing for selection, if for no other reason than to ensure our senior guys feel pressured and don't become complacent.

My main issue for this game is whether to take annual leave on Monday or suddenly feel ill sunday night. 440pm start..how depressing. thoughts?

Quite like twilight matches, as you can get a lot done before the match and you still get home at a reasonable time. .. Unless you go to the footy to wipe yourself out I don't see the issue if its a local match. ..

The main issue I've had in the past is that when travelling for the match (ie. the annual twilight match v Power) then your options for getting home before work on the Monday become short. ..

If Setanta is fit, does he have a role in the Best 22 (as backup, if Henderson is outbodied)
Maybe not on the back of yesterday. Our forwards rotated well.

If we were to drop White, it would most likely be for another reliable defender in Duigan. I'm not sure who would go out for him other than Warnock, but even that would be a bit unjust.

Is Waite ok, he came off last quarter I think and the medicos were talking to him, nothing was iced but the age game review has Waite listed as hamstring...reckon if he doesn;t come up, I;d back Sentanta for a gig

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we've got the Dogs covered at either of the ground, so it's going to be a battle of the midfields. Agree with what most others are saying.....

Henderson to Hall
Thornton to Jones
Laidler to Gia

Will be interesting to see how White pulls up. Noticed that after the game he didn't have his leg iced, so perhaps it's just soreness. Same as Waite hopefully.

On form, we should beat them.

Carlton by 25 points

Is Waite ok, he came off last quarter I think and the medicos were talking to him, nothing was iced but the age game review has Waite listed as hamstring

Said after the game that the plan was always to sub Waite, but obviously couldn't because of White.

Had it been a close game, I assume he would have kept playing.

Reckon we've got the Dogs covered at either of the ground, so it's going to be a battle of the midfields. Agree with what most others are saying.....

Henderson to Hall
Thornton to Jones
Laidler to Gia

Reckon Laidler will be needed for Grant and Russell can have a shut down role on Gia.

I thought Hoops was effective during his time on the field. White and Tuohy were average. If someone wants to step up, the spot is theirs.

Tuohy average :confused: King is 1 of Richmond's best play maker's and you say Tuohy was average keeping him to 9 posessions 1 goal. Let's not talk about all the sheparding Tuohy laid so King couldn't tackle our players.

Tuohy had a very good game and I wouldn't be dropping him for the sake of dropping some one.

For those calling for him to be dropped for Austin or Bower that have shown nothing this year is a ridiculous statement to make. :thumbsdown: Duigan in for White if available. Curnow has a quad problem don't see him being ready and if he is as much as I love Hoop's I would drop him before Tuohy.

Out: White (inj), Russell, Hoops

In: Bower, Duigan, Curnow

IMO Russell and Tuohy are the same position type player, and when i look at who has more upsdie on what they offer, Tuohy wins, which is why recently we have seen JR play less down back.

I thought there were a couple of softer efforts from JR against Richmond.

We should beat the dogs, they don't like it tough and if we play the way we have been then we should do it easy by at least 6 goals.

I am no Hoops fan as I think he may cost us in defensive pressure however his delivery into the fwd line is rather nice. JR was missing a bit yesterday but in a backline that has holes we are not about to create more holes
We did win I am pretty sure so changes need some serious justification. Don't bring back injured players too early and don't bring in players just for the sake of change when their form for the Ants is not special

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back