Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffen is easily the Dogs best player ATM and the one who if be trying to stop. Next in line would probably be Cooney, he has real hurt factor where as Boyd tends to just rack them up no matter what you do to stop him.

I would put a little time into both Murphy and Higgins in the back half and stop them getting easy ball out of our forward line.

Granted not in contention for this week but anyone know whats happening with AJ? Can he just not get a game due to the Ellards of this team?

Griffen and Boyd gave us a fair old @rse pounding last year. Along with Cooney, they present a massive threat to us through the middle.
We need to be fully focussed and enter the game with ruthless intent. No let up boys!

Griffen and Boyd gave us a fair old @rse pounding last year. Along with Cooney, they present a massive threat to us through the middle.
We need to be fully focussed and enter the game with ruthless intent. No let up boys!
They sure did... but put it into perspective on how our players attacked the footy last year, and how they're going about their business this year...

Even against West Coast (which has been the only game we've been totally outplayer), it wasn't their midfielders that ran riot, it was their big men...

Not one midfield will have a field day against our mob this year...

We won't be able to stop all 3 of them, so we just have to make sure we do everything we can so they don't get too many cheap posessions. Cooney and Griffen will seriously cut us up if we let them run loose.

Boyd is a different, as he wins his own footy, and is usually on the bottom of the packs - ala Ratts himself.

Still reasonably confident we can come away with win here, but think it will be closer than what some people are thinking it will be.

Carlton by 14 points.

Reading through this thread today, there are a couple of observations one can make:

1. Jordan Russell can't take a trick around here.

You can sum up Jordan's performances this year with one word; solid. Last year he showed impressive improvement and this year he's maintained form (with, as others have mentioned, his role being changed and other players being asked to provide the run and carry out of the backline). Do people expect players to show dramatic improvement every year? He's barely put a foot wrong, his disposal has been great and I can't remember him being towelled up in a single game.

2. Expectations of Zach Touhy are over the top.

He played on a guy who has been a key in recent times in Richmond's forward line. Kept him to just 9 possessions (at least one of which was for a ridiculous free-kick) and only 1 goal and showed poise and maturity beyond his handful of games experience and yet folks are saying it's not enough and he should have a spell?

3. Folks don't seem to recognise the role that Houlihan has started to play in the team.

Personally I think he's the perfect sub. Firstly, he has enough talent, experience and fitness that you wouldn't mind if he has to come on early due to injury and play the whole game. Secondly, when the pace is out of the game and he comes on, there are several distinct benefits:
  1. He knows where to go to get the ball and impact play without having to "work his way into the game".
  2. His slight lack of pace is less likely to be exposed.
  3. At a time when defenders are tiring and lagging forwards by a metre or so, Hoop's pinpoint accuracy means that the forward will more often than not, get the ball delivered to his advantage.
  4. In a game that is coming down to the wire, he could be the difference by snagging an important goal himself or setting up someone else with the previously mentioned pinpoint delivery.
  5. In a team that sometimes lacks polish with delivery into the forward line, it could extend the playing career of one of our best proponents of this art.

Just my 2 cents ... carry on.

Reading through this thread today, there are a couple of observations one can make:

1. Jordan Russell can't take a trick around here.

You can sum up Jordan's performances this year with one word; solid. Last year he showed impressive improvement and this year he's maintained form (with, as others have mentioned, his role being changed and other players being asked to provide the run and carry out of the backline). Do people expect players to show dramatic improvement every year? He's barely put a foot wrong, his disposal has been great and I can't remember him being towelled up in a single game.

2. Expectations of Zach Touhy are over the top.

He played on a guy who has been a key in recent times in Richmond's forward line. Kept him to just 9 possessions (at least one of which was for a ridiculous free-kick) and only 1 goal and showed poise and maturity beyond his handful of games experience and yet folks are saying it's not enough and he should have a spell?

3. Folks don't seem to recognise the role that Houlihan has started to play in the team.

Personally I think he's the perfect sub. Firstly, he has enough talent, experience and fitness that you wouldn't mind if he has to come on early due to injury and play the whole game. Secondly, when the pace is out of the game and he comes on, there are several distinct benefits:
  1. He knows where to go to get the ball and impact play without having to "work his way into the game".
  3. At a time when defenders are tiring and lagging forwards by a metre or so, Hoop's pinpoint accuracy means that the forward will more often than not, get the ball delivered to his advantage.
  4. In a game that is coming down to the wire, he could be the difference by snagging an important goal himself or setting up someone else with the previously mentioned pinpoint delivery.
  5. In a team that sometimes lacks polish with delivery into the forward line, it could extend the playing career of one of our best proponents of this art.

:thumbsu:

I would not mind Carlton giving someone on the fringe a chance this week and give them a taste of what AFL football is all about. I've not paid attention to the VFL form, but someone like Kerr and Austin could do with some more AFL action.

If you gave someone like Kerr a run at AFL leve, this will show him that he has to work his ass off to get the correct fitness levels to make it at AFL level.

Doggies would be a good game, a mature team that is fighting for the chance at finals football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just ask, who the HELL is going to stop Luke Dalhaus?

It'd be foolish to even think you can stop Dahlhaus. You can only hope to contain him.

But seriously, I'd imagine no matter who you try to put on him he'll try to go to Yarran. See how your boy goes with Dahlhaus harrassing him all day.

It'd be foolish to even think you can stop Dahlhaus. You can only hope to contain him.

But seriously, I'd imagine no matter who you try to put on him he'll try to go to Yarran. See how your boy goes with Dahlhaus harrassing him all day.
Just as long as he doesn't resort to Sherman like tactics then all will be ok!!:cool:

Agree 100% - was almost going to start a thread myself on this topic but I think Hoops is a great option as the sub.

Inject him into a game late in the 3rd Quarter and his class and football nous would be invaluable.

Whilst the can also play forward and back, I also think that late in a game he could get some quality ball and clearances out of the middle.

Whilst I'm on his bandwagon I'm going to throw another one out there - I also reckon he could pinch hit at Full-Forward !!

I love Luke.

And I hate that you have a player you can brag about now :p

As much as form may not warrant it, you'd think maybe Army get's a call up to nullify him?

Blues have matched up well on the Dogs even when you weren't having a good run, which you are now. This could be a 'reality check' for the Dogs after a few good weeks.....

We wouldn't want to underestimate the Doggies but I just can't see them beating us this week...

Besides Hall they don't have anyone to monster our undersized backline. We won't have too many problems with guys like Gia, Higgins and Murphy.

They do have a solid midfield but I think ours bats deeper and and our delivery into a super-quick forward line will be hard for them to match without pace to burn down back.

Looking forward to the game though, I think they'll take it to us for the first half before we pull away.

Besides Hall they don't have anyone to monster our undersized backline. We won't have too many problems with guys like Gia, Higgins and Murphy.

Higgins and Murphy have played defense all year.

Don't discount Liam Jones. 197cms and 95 kilos. Took the most contested marks on the ground Friday night for both sides. Has been playing more outside 50 lately but given your depleted backline he'll probably be closer to goals.

We also have Jarrad Grant, who is coming back into form. He's a beanpole, not a monster, but still good overhead and would be too quick for most taller defenders. Tricky matchup.

Higgins and Murphy have played defense all year.

Don't discount Liam Jones. 197cms and 95 kilos. Took the most contested marks on the ground Friday night for both sides. Has been playing more outside 50 lately but given your depleted backline he'll probably be closer to goals.

We also have Jarrad Grant, who is coming back into form. He's a beanpole, not a monster, but still good overhead and would be too quick for most taller defenders. Tricky matchup.

We're pretty quick down back...very quick

Jarrad Grant, I;d say Laidler, playing so well.

Who will you put on Waite and Walker ?

18months ago these guys were being heralded as a premiership favourites. .. Like playing the Saints, I doubt the lads will under estimate them. .. I'm glad the Dogs have found some form better a tough win then a blow out. ..

We're pretty quick down back...very quick

Jarrad Grant, I;d say Laidler, playing so well.

Who will you put on Waite and Walker ?

Walker- probably Dale Morris or Easton Wood.

Waite- Tom Williams.

I love Luke.

And I hate that you have a player you can brag about now :p

As much as form may not warrant it, you'd think maybe Army get's a call up to nullify him?
from army's biggest fan
he needs to visit the house of mirrors

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back