Preview Round 18, 2018: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIES MATCH 3*, Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 65 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate I couldn't have said it better myself.

Not only That, but the selections over the last 2 years indeed have be abysmal for me. Players selected with hardly any form in the reserves and players not being dropped for 4 or bad performances.

The list goes on. Best thing that happened for us is Simon coming in and shaking the place up. Richo is one lucky man signing that contract as on match days he is tactically lacking and I've been saying this for the last 2 or 3 years. Players love him due to his style as it seems 'soft' as quoted by our former captain.

It’s 2018. Players don’t respond to ‘hard’ coaches anymore. It’s about building relationships with the players, empowering them to be better instead of getting angry when they make a mistake. Yes, a rocket is sometimes necessary but not all the time.

It’s a very different landscape now than back in the 2000s.

It’s 2018. Players don’t respond to ‘hard’ coaches anymore. It’s about building relationships with the players, empowering them to be better instead of getting angry when they make a mistake. Yes, a rocket is sometimes necessary but not all the time.

It’s a very different landscape now than back in the 2000s.
I don't buy into this theory. When I look at Clarko there is nothing soft about him or the way he approaches the game same cab be said for Longmire or even Ross Lyon. I think we 'cuddle' our players too much. The coach doesn't need to spray them, but the cold hard truths need to be said. What I found interesting from Roo was how we analysed the game etc. It's was something along the lines of it's okay boys let's put that behind us and move forward. He said it on 360. Pretty strong words from one of our best ever players.

I don't buy into this theory. When I look at Clarko there is nothing soft about him or the way he approaches the game same cab be said for Longmire or even Ross Lyon. I think we 'cuddle' our players too much. The coach doesn't need to spray them, but the cold hard truths need to be said. What I found interesting from Roo was how we analysed the game etc. It's was something along the lines of it's okay boys let's put that behind us and move forward. He said it on 360. Pretty strong words from one of our best ever players.

IIRC, it was more along the lines that his version of brutal is different to the current crop, not that they just move forward.

Any more insight as to why we ‘cuddle’ our players too much?

It’s a fine line that not many coaches get correct IMO. You can’t be too hard nor can you be too soft and the only people who would be able to tell you are the players. But I have an underlying feeling that Richo hasn’t lost the players and they still play for him, it’s just that our skills consistently let us down and stop us from winning games (even more so than our ‘lack of structure’, his lack of game day coaching ability or team selection).

We will never find out the truth about the retirements of Roo and Montagna.
Roo's move was the right one going what was said about his head knocks.
Montagna was most probably forced into retirement.

The thing is if our coach knew we had a leadership problem - why didn't they act last year to bring in a true leader - Geary is trying his best but really is not the leader we need - this why during the draft we should go all out for Shiel or Coniglio who are both free agents next year or even attempt to get Kelly again. One will surely move - just get it done.

We will never find out the truth about the retirements of Roo and Montagna.
Roo's move was the right one going what was said about his head knocks.
Montagna was most probably forced into retirement.

The thing is if our coach knew we had a leadership problem - why didn't they act last year to bring in a true leader - Geary is trying his best but really is not the leader we need - this why during the draft we should go all out for Shiel or Coniglio who are both free agents next year or even attempt to get Kelly again. One will surely move - just get it done.
I think everyone overestimated the leadership in the group with Roo & Joey out of the team. Hindsight is a great thing. Would have probably been a difference even of they had stayed on in a mentoring role at training, etc for this season

You say this but one of the most consistent things said about Richo, especially from players, is that he is extremely honest and upfront with them.

You say this but one of the most consistent things said about Richo, especially from players, is that he is extremely honest and upfront with them.
Maybe so. But what's their version of honesty?
Or is it just being reaffirmed and a case of him saying what they want to hear?
I make no claim to know either way, but at least know we should have confidence now
in finding out with Led dick Lethlean at the helm!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol there is knocks on everyone, the captain can't kick

Yep but it’s to late for him. Also it’s not about his disposal. Nearly impossible to fix that at afl level. It’s about decision making and holding structures. They can be fixed. The thing is the club rate him highly and those fixable things are fixed he could become the star they hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every team has injuries. You back the system and not the personel. We don't have a system to back and that's why when we have 2 injuries we turn into a rabble.
We don't have a system or a structure, yet we beat Gold Coast, Melbourne, and Carlton in a month?

Is structure, just about forwards? There is no structure for mids or backs? How does structure during the game and selection on Thursday night's vary?

What is this non system you talk about?

You throw words about like structure or system but don't have anything to back it up. You say look for yourself when the onus of proof is on you.

Even defacto's post was isolated to selection of forwards nothing about full team structure or how that applies to game plan of that structure during the course of a particular game.

Don't tell me we have no game plan either.
This week, we go in with a certain team, how will the game plan compliment the new found structure?

How will the structure change during the course of the game to meet changing conditions?

When Marshall is pulled out of the forwards to ruck, what happens to the structure.
It is not static like the 1970's where everyone plays in position.

To simply say we have the wrong or right structure is just wrong. So much more to it than that.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Have a feeling we are going to play well tonight.

Don’t think it will be enough to beat Richmond, but let’s hope their away form continues.

Need to channel the motivation from this fixture last year.

Glad to see Josh Battle back in the side.

Inside the club there are a few knocks on him and not just by richo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be but they seem to be determined to ruin his career to prove their instincts right. They select players who would struggle to get games at most clubs but complain about Acres flaws. They seem to play favourites.

Fmd does every thread have to be about Richo?

Same shit over and over again.

Groundhog day...
We beat Carlton because firstly they were terrible and dare I say it lost their structure after qtr time prob as a result of Kruzer going down but you adapt or die.

We won because we made less mistakes than Carltank and yet we saw the usually level of FMD moments from Armo Geers etc with poor disposal Carl just could not capitalise. Methinks Richmond will not be so forgiving. We have played well for a few weeks Richmond will be stung after loss should be a good game but reckon the gap between the sides is too great based on exposed form this year.

On the matter of leadership. Love Rooey but reckon he was the only leader and I suspect that there was daylight to any other leader type voices emerging.

Recruiting a leader from another club......get real talk about melts if we brought someone in from outside straight in as captain....has almost never happened never going to happen get real.

Gears is okay but we need the next generation to come thru...question is who that is....Dunstan Ross Steele???

Now that's an interesting question as no one really stands out as yet.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back