Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Every week the CD player rating system throws numbers I just can't understand.

Neither Meek nor Jackson had games considered above average. Meek's game was considered statistically worse than Fyfe's 9.7 to 10.4. Meek with 3 contested marks, 6 score launches and 51 hit outs was the 17th highest rated player on the ground.

I think CD tends to overrate disposal efficiency.

It’s still a young side - expecting them to just dismantle sides and dictate terms week in/week out like this is 2013 is a tad unrealistic. I think what you’re it giving the side credit for is that we are continually finding ways to win. We can win beautifully, we can stay in back and forth games and get the win (Bulldogs, GWS etc) we can grind them out and we can win reactively like you say today. I think it’s a great sign that this side can close out games in different scenarios.

Similar profile to freo.

Who do u replace him with then?
I hope he is named again but there is a raft of guys waiting in the wings to come in. I’m a big fan of Seamus Mitchell. I was disappointed that he was dropped. Someone’s going to need to go out for ginniven also. Husthwaite Macdonald and McGuiness all knocking at the door also.

I only noticed JOM after his first 16 disposals, I check to see if he had a kick yet. No influence.
Speaking of unnoticeable players, not only did I not realise James Aish played until I checked the stats sheet, I also did not realise he was still on an AFL list.

Not sure he stays there. I like Sic being thrown forward but he isn't as impactful when the opposition can plan for him.

I'm not sure it will always be Sicily but i definatly see more off this setup. Especially with the club into Battle or Perryman.

Sicily, Scrimshaw, Weddle are our best marks one on one currently they are all positioned behind the ball.

As Scrimshaw and Weddle continue to develop into genuine A graders it will be interesting where they all line up.

Thought it was pretty shit hearing a chunk of the crowd booing him today. The bloke didn’t even want to leave!
He did float the idea but I agree. Can't boo O'Meara and cheer Meek, as it were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally delivered the ball lace out to a Hawthorn player
Sad Koala GIF

Calsher Dear popped up at very important times today with huge clunks and an opportunistic goal. I think the timing of these efforts was exactly when we needed something and it really got us going in the second term.
Massive credit to him, every game he looks more and more confident which is so exciting.

Weddle got thrown around a lot today and what is probably the most telling is that every position he played he was noticed. Always involved, whether it's just running along or putting on a block, his workrate is so good that he's such a weapon. We threw him into the ruck and he didn't look out of place, gave us an extra runner out of the stoppages and made Jackson look slow.

Sicily being thrown forward changed the game for mine. They clearly hadn't planned for that move, Sicily had an immediate impact with a contested mark and goal. They then had to shuffle their defence to limit his impact which meant Dear was able to find a bit of it but our smalls were able to get an extra step or two. Obviously we lifted in the middle after a poor third term but Sicily down there meant that structurally we looked more dangerous. I think with Lewis absent, we lack that key forward who can organise the forwards ahead of them. Sicily was always coaching out there and pointing players into position.

The summary: Mitchell coached phenomenonally today and it was the difference. Obviously the plan is only as good as it's executed but without these moves we likely would have been in very different moods right now.

Edit: Oh and Meek was outstanding today. Worked so hard in what felt like a very stoppage heavy game.

Last edited:
100% I would.
He's one of the best defenders in the comp. Great that he can swing forward every now and then, but it shouldn't be a permanent move. Far too valuable in the back line.

Weddle, however, could swing forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back