Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginbey needs to drop a few kgs, no point being swole if you're too gassed to get to the contest. His repeat efforts look like they are suffering due to the extra muscle he's carrying.

+ Houghs a gun, an out and out gun. Gave one of the best small forwards in the comp a bath and does it week in week out.

- Duggo's concussion, you worry when you see multiple in a season.

The biggest difference between the teams was they where cleaner using the ball, took the right option & made quicker decisions before these options where shut down.

On multiple occasions we just took the wrong option going into attack when we had a free player the ball should have gone to. Multiple times Liam Ryan was on his own and should have been used.

A good example of them being just a bit more polished was in the 3rd Liam Ryan had the right idea to try & centre the ball from the boundary to a free Hutchinson directly infront but he just slightly missed and it’s a turnover. When Brisbane got the chance for something similar later in the game he hits the target with a smart kick & it’s a goal.

If we just had of been able to tidy some of that stuff up I think we would have snatched that game.

Reid hasn't really dumped anyone that late at all, he might have given away two or three free kicks over the season and they weren't the best calls anyway. If they want to play a high-pressure-peel-off-your-man gamestyle then you need to be going hard for the ball carrier. The alternative is corralling.

His kicking was off yesterday but only slightly, missed some targets but his options are always correct, just didn't execute (he normall does so not an issue).

Brisbane's pressure was great yesterday, even our best handball chains got interrupted because they're so quick to leave their man upfield knowing the next guy will cover it to pressure the ball.

As for players stopping and propping, the alternative is long kicks forward without looking, probably not a great option. If Allen was playing spare man back late in the game then the Lions had one too.

His games has been a bit undersold on here by some folks who are already set in their opinion of him imo

21 disposals (9 contested), 4 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements and a disposal efficiency of 76%

If that was, say a Chesser, the whole board would be frothing over it

all the more reason to use Chesser in the middle at WAFL level and let him come in and show what he can do

instead of just sticking him on the far wing

He said on the podcast the other he basically hasn't trained since about round 5, takes all week for his knee to recover and then he got a hip injury. Just getting back to fitness now.
So the match committee have been playing tk injured and possibly exacerbated it when trew all along could have been playing who has been our best beagles contributor, sounds about right

- Reid gifting Cameron a goal via a 50m penalty.

+ Would have been if Cameron actually handballed it to Reid when he called for it.
Would like to know what Reid was saying to him to get the handball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind the Harley aggression, he was getting scragged and tagged a lot. After the last few seasons anyone that plays with passion and arrogance is needed. He'll get better and learn where the line is but I personally like seeing it. I think a team that is not used to standing up for themselves, needs someone like him who says they're not going to be pushed around.
A lot of good players have learnt to play on the edge. Leight Mathews, Toby Greene, Luke Hodge all became leaders and captains
Yeah people seem to forget the likes of woosha and waters and co in our team. Aggression is good, not sure the issue with it as reid is constantly getting scragged and held with no protection from either the umpires or teammates

One small thing I worry about Edwards is his intercepting mark and choosing to go for a mark. He reads it well and it’s good to see he backs himself and goes for it but also at the same time his hands are nowhere as good as TB and Govs. When he gets it wrong and drops it the oppo more often than not make us hurt. I kinda hope he can get that fine balance of when to mark and when to spoil

Ginbey needs to drop a few kgs, no point being swole if you're too gassed to get to the contest. His repeat efforts look like they are suffering due to the extra muscle he's carrying.

+ Houghs a gun, an out and out gun. Gave one of the best small forwards in the comp a bath and does it week in week out.

- Duggo's concussion, you worry when you see multiple in a season.
You have no idea what you are talking about regarding Ginbey. That and likely havent seen him in real life

Hough is just about my favourite eagle these days. Certainly one of our most reliable as he heads to 50 games.

He’s so slight but deceptively quick and strong. Great game. Camerons only goal on him was a 50m penalty as I think Cole was on him at the other time.

Polish wasn’t great at times, but I feel the weather also played into that. Brisbane just too clean when it mattered. Neale in particular. Bailey tried hard but he’s no match against a genuine ruck which the Big O is these days.

I did like Reid’s game - even if it lacked some of his usual flash I felt he worked into it. Unlucky not to get a few more holding frees. But I hope he picked up a bit off Neale and his ability to turn a game in his own way.

Trew was good, as was Hedwards. Hope they can build on it. I think Trew is probably not a full time AFL midfielder but feel he’s got 6 weeks to really prove me wrong. This week, he was really clean and tackled well. I really enjoyed his game.

Didnt love the room we gave Brisbane at times. McCluggage was basically given so much time and space. We couldn’t get our hands on it in the middle early either and probably should have been 5 goals down at quarter time.

A little bit of straight line movement as the game progressed- more than likely weather related but I do hope in the next 6 weeks we see some more modern ball movement because I think we have talent forward of the ball to make use of it.

Much better effort today, which you would be hoping for. The trick will be to build on it this week. I think the results will come if we do because Brisbane are just about the second best team in it at present and we got within 2 goals.

His games has been a bit undersold on here by some folks who are already set in their opinion of him imo

21 disposals (9 contested), 4 marks, 8 tackles, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements and a disposal efficiency of 76%

If that was, say a Chesser, the whole board would be frothing over it
I do get what you are saying but Chesser plays a different position. I think the comparison would be if Culley did this in his return game everyone would be frothing.

Last edited:
One small thing I worry about Edwards is his intercepting mark and choosing to go for a mark. He reads it well and it’s good to see he backs himself and goes for it but also at the same time his hands are nowhere as good as TB and Govs. When he gets it wrong and drops it the oppo more often than not make us hurt. I kinda hope he can get that fine balance of when to mark and when to spoil
Could just be a confidence thing. He might know when he can take it, but stuff up the execution a little bit

-not sure if this is a negative but will Harley be one of if not the most disliked players in the comp? Seems to complain to the umps a lot. If tackling puts a bit extra on it resulting in a wrestle. Also results in him copping extra whenever he gets tackled, also resulting in a time wasting wrestle. No doubt he'll mature but I really wouldn't want an antagonistic little ballantyne on our team

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think it rules. Victorians feeling sorry for us sickens me. I want a team of cocky young shitstirrers to lead us back to glory and sip their salty tears from a premiership cup one day. The Friends, Flags, Family era is over -- time for a heel turn.

I actually think it rules. Victorians feeling sorry for us sickens me. I want a team of cocky young shitstirrers to lead us back to glory and sip their salty tears from a premiership cup one day. The Friends, Flags, Family era is over -- time for a heel turn.
Reid and hewett in the same midfield has so much big dick energy

You have no idea what you are talking about regarding Ginbey. That and likely havent seen him in real life

Bet I have a fair bit more knowledge than you.

He struggles on the repeat efforts at the moment, he's sitting in the 90kg's which for a second year player in the midfield is massive.

I don't doubt they'll slim him down a bit next off season but anyone with two eyes and has actually played the game at a decent level can see he's too heavy for his role at the moment.

He struggles on the repeat efforts at the moment, he's sitting in the 90kg's which for a second year player in the midfield is massive.

I don't doubt they'll slim him down a bit next off season but anyone with two eyes and has actually played the game at a decent level can see he's too heavy for his role at the moment.
Played the game at decent level yet is on bigfooty ? Interesting.

Ginbey I do not believe is above 90kg, or stable above it. I was standing next to him last week, hardly a tank.

Certainly does not need to lose a few kilos, laughable.

This is just nonsense hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back