Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

That for me was the worse display the boys put up all season, absolutely nothing positive to take out of the game. Just dumb, poor decision making majority of the game. So disappointed in the club atm, I worry that any coach will not be able to take this current team anywhere. Majority of our senior players shouldn't be getting a game and are a disgrace to the football club.

Just absolutely crushed in the middle again. We're actually pretty solid at either end, for the most part. But geez do we just constantly get destroyed in the middle. Even with Kelly, Yeo and Reid in there. You'd think that starting lineup would be more competitive, but something is just really not clicking in there
Kelly isn't very good.

Negatives -
  • Too fumbly whereas they were cleaner. Our Cripps being the worst example.
  • Cripps potentially finished. May end up like this year's Gaff next year.
  • Too many skill errors from senior players.
  • Mids smashed.
  • Team lacking composure.
  • Too tall team selection in the wet. Darling should've never been selected in the first place in hindsight at least.
  • Giving up on efforts.
  • Broken tackles.
  • I love Trew but he didn't seem to do much. Same can be said for most of the team though.
  • Our forwards couldn't do anything with minimal supply.
  • Smashed in the clearances.

Meh =
=
Nothing much.

Positives +
  • Reid back to his best asides from some strayed uncharacteristic poor disposals.
  • Yeo was one of our best mids.
  • Gov and Cole solid.
  • H.Edwards looking like a gem. We should be fine without Barrass in future.
  • Gaff asides from the odd wtf moments, turned back the clock. Got a lot of the ball and used it decently. Thank you for your services champ, you absolute legend.
  • At least we possibly stopped Freo.
  • Potential for priority picks especially what will happen next week and L.Edwards potentially retiring from concussion.

Final thoughts.

I did not expect us to win anyways. Our wins against Gold Coast was because they were really bad and are horrible travellers and Norf is Norf. Many thought that J.Schofield was the answer for those two wins but in reality he got exposed against St Kilda.

Hopefully we get a priority pick.

Really makes you thankful we’re not North.

Richmond won heaps, have come crashing down and now look set for the draft haul of all draft hauls if these trades eventuate.

North have been bottom two for five consecutive years now, and have gone backwards on % this season. We’re diabolical and we only managed two consecutive years of bottom two.

Bloody hell, you have to be really actively bad to be that bad for half a decade+.

Positives:
Dirty Harry makes me more comfortable trading Tom
No more home games
Harvey is raw but looks ok
Our list manager has just been shown how bare our midfield is and how we need to prioritise them
Zane showed he cannot compete so no more chances
It was nice to say thanks to Gaff

Negatives:
Last time watching HR9 live in 2024
Mids need to swipe right to our forwards

Last edited:
Positives are only 1 more game from the likes of the following players.

Gaff
Darling
Witherden
Petrucelli
Cripps.

Barrass and maybe Ryan traded for some high end draft picks will help. We really need about 4 in the top 30 to turn this shit hole of a midfield around after Simpson desecrated it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeeeahh Darling will still be at the club next year along with Sheed, and Cripps will still be playing seniors. You guys are dreaming if you think you've seen the end of them.

And Petch has another year to run on his contract.

+ve
-HEdwards looks every bit a senior player.
+Reid keeps impressing.

-ve
-I think Trew has blown any chances of getting a contract the last 2 weeks
-Cripps sucks for large parts of the game. Does one or two good things and escapes scrutiny.
-maybe an overreaction, but this Simpson-esque performance has dented Schofields coaching aspirations. Strengthens the case for bringing in an outsider with a completely fresh start.
Trew was bad today but was great last week?

Gutless embarrassing performance on Members Thank You round. More like Members **** You. That was the hardest home game to sit through by a mile. Suitably awful way to end the 3 worst years there has ever been to back the Eagles.

It was bloody freezing with that wind at the game. Young bloke said he was cold and then when that Ryan/Darling/Cripps calamity happened on our half forward flank I was like “Ok let’s go”. It was the 18 minute mark of the third quarter. Normally I’m one to stick it out the bitter end but that was an utterly shameful performance today.

That went exactly as I thought it would. We never show up when we get named as favourites to win against injury depleted sides.

The senior players were terrible. Darling, Kelly, Cripps, Allen and more could not hit a target or a handball to save themselves. Gaff was ironically ok. Petch did f-all and should never have been the sub imo. I would have rather persevered with Maric.

As far as Patrik Cripps goes, the umps give that guy bj’s all day. That free he got against Trew was absolute bullshit. He was grabbing Trew without the footy and literally throwing him away from the stoppage, so as soon as Trew grabs Cripps to stop himself being thrown to the ground the umps pay a free against Trew.

Also, whoever is our stoppage coach needs to go. We are so bad in our setups, we get beaten on the outside every time. It’s the same at a marking contest.

I’d say that’s the end of Schofields chance to coach too which is a pity coz I liked his “take the game on” style and his communication in pressers was good.

Overall the team looked cooked and is in no way fit enough to play the high pressure style we played the last two weeks. That’s an indictment on our previous coach and our s&c staff.

We will get spanked next week.

Positives
  • Harry Edwards
  • Dewar was about the only player who appeared to care enough to chase.

Negatives
  • We can't tackle, but we are plenty tough enough to hit late and award downfields. Or if we do manage to stick 1 tackle, we go all ape shit on them while they are lying on the ground (looking at you Yeo). Not a good look and a terrible reputation to create. Umpires are now looking for it.
  • We didn't get beaten by better players this week, just players who wanted it more, including a number of first year players.
  • I've already accepted a ticket to next week's game.

What is the record number of draft picks in one year? We could clean out 20 spots and go all in.

Hard to find positives from that performance, tbh.
Harry Edwards, at a stretch...might think differently if Curnow & McKay were playing.
Midfield got smashed.
I have a chuckle at positives being effects on Freo/Collingwood etc...
Ain't having a dip at folks, but IDGAF.
Very, very poor performance.
More concerned where we are at, and unfortunately it was spelled out emphatically today

Before that game I had in my head it was a danger game. I didn't care about the result but more how we would deal with the aftermath of a good game away against a vulnerable team at home. Could have been a massive step forward but yet another fail from a player group renouned for it. Carrying too many non AFL players and expecting too few to carry it. McGovern is better than Jakovich come at me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back