Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Bookmark this; Fly will say in the presser that we didn’t play with dare, didn’t go fast enough in the last. Would rather we lose by 10 goals by trying to win.
Players not playing for him at the Moment

Our tactics weren’t the issue. It’s the personnel.

If we wanted to bomb it long like we normally do the margin would’ve been worse.

We had a small forward line. We lowered our eyes, tried the territory game and took quite a lot of marks inside fifty because we lowered the eyes.

Where we got absolutely smashed was in the middle. I though Cameron was great but our on ball brigade was well beaten.

Too many players that just aren’t up to it and when you’ve got so many players out, the role players like Harrison, Richard’s, Markov get found out big time.

Need a key back. Barrass.

McInness is never going to be the answer and DeGoey just tries when he wants too. Long has only played two games but he’s treakle slow. Don’t get me started on Hills showboating. Just do the simple things well.

The season is gone. We are cooked. We are just not playing anywhere near good enough.
I don’t think putting Bobby in a straight jacket is a solution.

Players noticably underperorming this year:
  • Moore
  • Markov
  • Quaynor
  • Frampton
  • J.Daicos
  • Schultz
  • Lipinski
  • Hill
  • Crisp

Players with interrupted seasons through injury:
  • Mihochek
  • Cox
  • Mitchell
  • DeGoey
  • Elliott
  • Richards
  • Hoskin Elliott
  • Kreuger
  • Howe
  • McStay
  • McCreery

Players performing at or above expected
  • N.Daicos
  • D.Cameron

And the rest have either played over 300 games, under 10, or I'm not sure what to make of them.

I'd love to say we can still make something out of this season, but I just don't see it.

This uncontested marking game also has us in all sorts. Its killIing us every week and we have no answer for it which means our coaches are getting outcoached too.

We've lost our identity, and we're officially cooked.

Watch the '23 GF as many times as you can while we're still premiers.

Last edited:
Out-coached in the last. Ordinary ball movement into the forward 50, did not look like a side that can score a winning total.

Geelong looked fitter than us. They ran the game out strongly.

'24 is done. See the year out and make some tough calls over the summer. Unlikely to keep all the veterans.

Last edited:
It’s almost as if we needed an intensive week of tactical rediscovery instead of time out at Wet n Wild.

Don’t like the narrative of Murph retiring essentially scapegoating him for all our defensive woes. We should and could have reengineered that months ago.

Everything now is down to desire and composure and energy, all down to mindset and no one seems to want to invest anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Selwood is forward line coach, while Jordan Roughead oversees the backline.

And Hayden Skipworth is Senior Assistant and Midfield coach.
They'll have to review this set up.

We had to create a new position for Leppitsch or he was going elsewhere, Wright goes to Europe, shit pre-season and start to the season. No evolution of the team or marked indovidual improvement. Plenty of regression.

It has reeked of a self satisfied set up the whole year. Acknowledging we have injuries, but it was on that course prior.

Every Collingwood supporter has the right to ask WTF is going on?
That was abysmal.
Yep, something is very wrong. Can't blame the injuries for the last few weeks. We have been outworked for the last 4 weeks.
We are a shell of a side at the moment. Just very disappointing not to make the 8 as reigning premier.

Footy gods smiled on us this year, whereas this year they have not.

Would like to see the list sorted now, with marginal players given a chance and a few first selected every week but having little influence and/or effort eg Lippa, Markov, Bobby, Moore, Frampton given a re

st.

Our biggest concern fwiw is not even the back 50, it's the midfield getting chewed up. Moore and IQ are hugely out of form but I will continually blame the midfield.

Defence can only do so much when there's lack of pressure up the field. Few boys with huge careers and pedigrees not living up to the hype.

Outside Daicos, who can we entrust to actually win a clearance? Daicos has 11, JDG has 6 and as a team we have 35. 50% of our clearances from two players.

Comparatively, Bowes 7, Stewart 5, Danger 6, Miers 5, Atkins and SDK 4 each, 42 as a team.

We are failing to do the bare minimum around the footy and win the contested ball. Centre clearances 16-6. Then when an oppo has their leg up, we are being burnt on the spread.

Got to work out who is taking over Pendles and despite Crisp's last 2 months he was woeful tonight.

It was tough to watch. After Steele's goal 1 min into the last it was 5 pts and game on. No reason not to keep pushing hard and make a game of it but we did ****ing nothing for the rest of the qtr. Season on the line and nobody stands up when needed to drive home a win, ****ing nobody.
That’s what I mean,the hunger just isn’t there.Geelong just wanted it more,as Essendon did last week and Gold Coast the week before that.i think the players are just satisfied with one premiership,even though none of them would ever admit that out loud.

I said to a mate after the North game that it is typical for a crap team to play their Grand Final againt us and I remarked that was exactly what North did and it took a miracle for us to come back and pinch the win. However, in retrospect I got it wrong. I think WE played our Grand Final in the second half of that game. Winless since then after taking a holiday during the bye week and have never really looked like winning since.

I can see us winning 2 more games for the season, max.

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back