Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Some are losing faith in Fly? Dear God. The man got us up for a flag less than 12 months ago when we were not the best team in the competition. He performed brilliantly in the finals.

How fickle. How pathetic. How quickly people forget when in the midst of a dummy spit.
Agree with all that, except the 'we were not the best team in the competition'.

We were on top of the ladder all year. And our stats showed we were ahead of majority of clubs in majority of areas.

I’m not sure I’d go as far as “lost the players” but then maybe we both have different ideas of what losing players means.

For me, “losing players” means the players dislike the coach. They no longer want to play for them. Buckley had 100% lost the players.

I think with Fly, I just have a feeling he’s far less hands on of a coach than what we might think and it was Leppa and Bolts that were the more hands on coaches the last two seasons.

Now that those two aren’t involved the players don’t seem to be as driven. You used to constantly hear the players fawn over Leppa and Bolts in interviews. You don’t really hear that much anymore with Scoot, Skip and Roughie. I only really heard it with Roughie with one player…Murphy.

That, combined with just general contentment that might be coming with being reigning Premiers.
Yeah “lost them” isn’t that extreme to me. I mean mentally, they’ve checked out from what he’s doing with them.

I agree too. I think this year we’re seeing the absence of Leppitsch and Bolton who I think did a lot more than we realised. I reckon fly would be the sort to delegate a lot of responsibility and so the new structure is being shown up now.

It’s the unconcealed glee with which some posters attack Moore and his poor form that is surprising - or maybe it isn’t. Some are virtually licking their lips at his decline.

Why are you trying to make out this is a personal thing? People are calling out the form.

Couple of idiot posters have said things that are not on with Moore but overall the ones having a crack are doing so in relation to form.

No different to people calling out Schultz all year which has mostly been unfair at times.

Lmao who was better? The only side that you can genuinely mount a counter argument for (on the back of two pretty convincing home and away wins) was Brisbane. We were far better than every other comer. Don’t buy into the bullshit all the opposition supporters spout to try and downplay last year’s achievements.

Best percentage in the comp, best win loss in the comp, best performer in finals in the comp, best team in the comp. No ifs or buts about it.
Not buying into the opposition view. I think we were the best coached team, but player for player not the best team.

We also didnt exactly storm into the finals - losing 3 of our last 5 H&A games.

The point I am making is that our coach and his team were outstanding in the finals, and I made that point in response to the posters who were going on about losing faith or confidence in Fly.

Not buying into the opposition view. I think we were the best coached team, but player for player not the best team.

The point I am making is that our coach and his team were outstanding in the finals, and I made that point in response to the posters who were going on about losing faith or confidence in Fly.
Player for player we were absolutely the best team. We qualified top of the ladder and had the double chance and home ground advantage effectively locked away weeks out, we could afford to manage our player’s loads and drop one or two on the way in.

I really don’t understand your perspective on this at all, because in my view of our season last year it’s blatantly wrong and coloured by all the crap we hear from everyone else trying to diminish the quality of our squad and our achievements.

Lets be brutally honest here:

1) we started the season 3 weeks earlier than any previous premier. Club did Zero to address that with the AFL. Fine for Jeff Browne to now say we wont do it again. Too late buddy. Horse has bolted.
2) love Fly but his "over sharing" has given the opposition a head start when the norm has been 3 or so years for other clubs to change the way they play to copy the premiers.
3) Sydney poached Adams not for his playing skills but his inside intel on the way the Pies played in 23. Lo and behold Sydney is all about pressure and the moments. Where did we hear that?
4) the loss of Murphy cuts deep. Moore only played that aggressive role because Murphy moped up his mistakes. We dont have that anymore.
5) Naicos is being sacraficed and the club says nothing. Put a f....ing video on him and make it public with the holds and scragging. Make the umpire and AFL accountable.
6) De Goey.....800k+ to burst out of the middle once in a game??? Biggest con job out there.
7) if Harley Reid wants $2mill f....ing pay it. Half our side will be gone next 2 years oppening up plenty of $.

Point #1 is what killed 2024

Nailed it with every point!!! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s negligent here is that Stewart has already suffered a concussion earlier in the year.
AFL must investigate this for the welfare of the player.

Geelong/Scott are disgusting with concussion. See Stewart and Cameron as examples. The Pies are over cautious. We even seem to have players miss an extra game after protocol ends. Murphy and Carmichael monitored carefully and retired.

We need independent doctors. Do you think Cats would put someone in protocols in a preliminary final? AFL need to do its job because one club is and another is a selfinterested basket case

There is no way Stewart should come back on with same head knock as Shultz. Its negligent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, they also understand that they would lose Stewart for next week if they acted like he was concussed. Better to just sit him down for 10 min, let him gather himself and pretend nothing happened. But us, well, we do the right thing by the rules of course and sub Schultz out and lose him for next week in the process. The auto week off is the issue clubs face.
What’s best for player long term vs missing the remainder of the match and the following week. Glad our club is erring on the former.

It’s a matter of when not if the AFL moves to independent doctors for match day concussion assessments.

A Quick Look at inside 50 stats.

We are 6th worst for inside 50’s. And yet third best for scoring on inside 50’s behind only Carlton and the swans

Even with our forward line issues we still score when we get it there which is impressive tbh.

Getting it there is the issue…
Part of it is that we're losing the territory battle, so a lot of our entries are fast breaks into an open forward line. Our high scoring rate wouldn't hold up if we were locking it in for repeat entries into a congested forward line.

I think our coaching is outstanding, however, the question is can they adapt and roll out a new style if our style has been worked out, which looks the case to me at the moment.

I think our coaching is outstanding, however, the question is can they adapt and roll out a new style if our style has been worked out, which looks the case to me at the moment.

If our season stutters to an end, as it seems to be doing, then we may well have some significant change in the coaching team/assistants. As noted, we nearly lost Leppa and Bolton after 2023 - due to big offers from elsewhere - and in retaining them (and presumably paying them more) we had to make changes. That rearrangement may not have worked for the best. Also, one of them (Bolton?) I think took over some of Wright's duties too.

If our season stutters to an end, as it seems to be doing, then we may well have some significant change in the coaching team/assistants. As noted, we nearly lost Leppa and Bolton after 2023 - due to big offers from elsewhere - and in retaining them (and presumably paying them more) we had to make changes. That rearrangement may not have worked for the best. Also, one of them (Bolton?) I think took over some of Wright's duties too.
Why does everyone need to chase more money all the time? Where has good old fashioned loyalty gone now? Not like they’d have been on low incomes and struggling to make ends meet on their salaries last year.

Geelong seems to be able to retain people for unders.
Brisbane in early 2000s did. Why can’t we? Especially with the new culture, it should appeal to stay there I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what happened. Leppa & Bolton wanted to move into different areas.

Our assistant coaching roles all changed. That was always going to take time to learn, adapt, change, settle. Some would work. Some wouldn't. Some would take longer. Then add all the forced changes in personnel due to injury, it's really not surprising we've looked a bit of a dogs breakfast.

And due to our earlier start in the year, later start to pre season, we had even less time to adapt to the new assistant coaching roles, directions, styles.

Why does everyone need to chase more money all the time? Where has good old fashioned loyalty gone now? Not like they’d have been on low incomes and struggling to make ends meet on their salaries last year.

Geelong seems to be able to retain people for unders.
Brisbane in early 2000s did. Why can’t we? Especially with the new culture, it should appeal to stay there I would think.
I dont have a problem with assistants moving around. They do it all the time. Money is obviously one factor, but to learn under a good coach is another. Fly was an assistant at three other clubs, plus ours in an earlier stint. If we lose a few at the end of this year, they will be replaced. I also like it that Fly is prepared to hire former senior coaches. In addition to Bolts and Leppa, Brendan McCartney (former Dogs coach) is at the club in some capacity, including game day. I'd love to snap up Adam Simpson.

1) we started the season 3 weeks earlier than any previous premier. Club did Zero to address that with the AFL. Fine for Jeff Browne to now say we wont do it again. Too late buddy. Horse has bolted.
2) love Fly but his "over sharing" has given the opposition a head start when the norm has been 3 or so years for other clubs to change the way they play to copy the premiers.
3) Sydney poached Adams not for his playing skills but his inside intel on the way the Pies played in 23. Lo and behold Sydney is all about pressure and the moments. Where did we hear that?
4) the loss of Murphy cuts deep. Moore only played that aggressive role because Murphy moped up his mistakes. We dont have that anymore.
5) Naicos is being sacraficed and the club says nothing. Put a f....ing video on him and make it public with the holds and scragging. Make the umpire and AFL accountable.
6) De Goey.....800k+ to burst out of the middle once in a game??? Biggest con job out there.
7) if Harley Reid wants $2mill f....ing pay it. Half our side will be gone next 2 years oppening up plenty of $.

I'd be more than ok with us freeing up a shit tonne of cap space letting Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Checkers retire this season and chase a forward, mid and back to replace them armed with big contract offers to RFAs

I dont have a problem with assistants moving around. They do it all the time. Money is obviously one factor, but to learn under a good coach is another. Fly was an assistant at three other clubs, plus ours in an earlier stint. If we lose a few at the end of this year, they will be replaced. I also like it that Fly is prepared to hire former senior coaches. In addition to Bolts and Leppa, Brendan McCartney (former Dogs coach) is at the club in some capacity, including game day. I'd love to snap up Adam Simpson.
I don’t think Simpson will want to be an assistant. He’s a premiership coach, and he says he hasn’t lost his passion. He needs a break. He would be looking for another senior role.
All the others you mentioned had short stints as senior coaches, and didn’t see success.
Maybe ex coaches like Dew, Cameron, even Hinkley, cos he won’t get another senior gig..

This.

Fly and Darcy (our leaders) should be seething with the lack of effort in the last quarter with the season on the line.

Sadly, we've seen a lack of care all year.

Last year the underlying hunger of losing close finals drove us. Clearly, they're all happy enough wearing gold logos for a year.
Be a bit much for both of them to come out and seeking more from the team.
They are our leaders and both soundly beaten the last few months.
They should be leading the way.

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Down by 4 goals, 1 minute left. McInnes took his full 30 seconds to have a shot on goal, Cameron took a while for his shot too. We were too far down, but we would have moved the ball much quicker in both moments when we were at the top of our game.
Nothing wrong in taking your time to make the shot.
Plenty of guys rush late in games and leads to a behind.
Having said that you would hope if they do take the time, they make the kick...

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

8 teams started the year 3 weeks earlier than any previous premier and the rest of the comp only one week after. If the team can't be ready after coming back in November, then it's the club's fault, not the AFLs

Sick of people making it sound like we were forced to play Round 0 with a week's preparation.

Painful to admit, but the Scott brothers have owned us over the past fortnight.

Geelong had 60 inside 50s! Should have won by seven goals.

And the worst past was it was not a new tactic.

I am not really sure Jordan Roughead is doing a great job analysing the opposition.

Surprised to see the negativity on this board, Collingwood have had an incredible run since McCrae came on board and played exhilarating football after a couple of years of underachieving mediocrity under Buckley.

No Mihocek, Howe, Mitchell, McCreary and Cox, and some of your players clearly struggling physically after a huge few years.

And yet you've been in virtually every game you've played this year.

The Cats had a tough 2023 (while your mob won a flag) and it was a real wake-up call after winning the flag in 2022.
But there were definitely mitigating circumstances, and it just demonstrated the fact that any club needs things to go near-perfect to compete at the pointy end in any given year.

TBH I don't think either of our clubs are quite up to the mark this year; if anything Collingwood has looked a little more potent and capable of challenging again in September.

Good game tonight, bad luck.

Give us a spell. It was a campaigner of a game.

If Reef walks at the end of the year I would not blame him. I am still at a loss to understand why he didn't start in our forward line which is already seriously undersized. If the plan was to use speed and ground balls to dazzle and confuse the Geelong defenders then surely at three quarter time with the Cats 2 goals up and controlling the game you might throw a lad whose been known to kick a couple of goals in a short period of time a go.

When I looked to our goalsquare and saw little Schultz looking battered and sore with an opponent 15 cm taller and still no Reef in sight I did begin to gnash my teeth and wonder what was going on. It was only when Shooter got concussed that Reef got his chance. Why do they refuse to give him a fair dinkum crack and see what he can do?

100%

Absolutely disgraceful call to make Reef the sub last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back