Autopsy Round 19, 2024 : Hawks flatten Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of hysteria about playing Finn the sub, but the Breust, Watson, Ginnivan, CMac, Moore 'mosquito fleet' of forwards was relentless in the conditions and a good call from coaching staff to play Breust all day. Ward and Finn were great selections, as when sides are usually tiring this time of year we bring in two of the very hardest runners at the club and competition jumping out their skin to perform. Our running was relentless and hard all game.

Ginnivan - Was shown as much respect by Collingwood as our team was by Craig McCrae in his press conference during the week, SFA. Has been a really important player all year for us, yet was allowed to run free. 31 touches, 2 goals, 5 tackles, 11 score involvements. What a way to rub salt in the wound of possibly downgrading the selection in the second round of the draft with a performance like that.

Nash - Just a superb player in the conditions. Tough in the contest, played ruck at times, and followed up with pressure, and kicked forward under pressure many times. Amazing that a guy who's kicking was a liability in his first two years is now so smart in the toughest of conditions today. Still improving each year. Sign him now, give him 5 years.

Watson - One of the best games from a first year player I can remember at Hawthorn, probably the best since Cyril. Kicked some brilliant goals under pressure in the toughest conditions, insane attack at the ball and player, and 2 assists (behind to Chol miss, and squaring kick to D'Ambrossio) that you'd expect from seasoned veterans.

Ward - I thought he looked like a bit of a machine out there. Ran hard, composed under pressure, executed well, and also made some really good decisions at times where our forwards were out of position. Had a bit of steel about him in terms of will to impact the game.

C. MacDonald - 4 goals was great reward for a player who runs tirelessly and has looked like breaking out or go to another level for a while. Pretty ruthless in the conditions to kick straight given the trouble Pies were having with the wind and rain. He loves a celebration, but not as much as he does running hard all game to create an option.

Sicily - Battling on bravely. Seemed slightly better than last week in the contest, but still being careful. Inspirational really to have that impact given where his shoulder is at. The wet conditions did help him but he played them very well at the same time.

Newcombe - Has had under-rated forward craft for a while, and followed up last weeks wonderful crumb and goal with Meek with a hanger last quarter causing the Collingwood defence havoc.

Worpel - Was a star early with a great goal, and another near miss with a post. Has been a big reason we start the games better and often gets clean clearances, and puts opposition under pressure with elite ball usage into our 50.

D'Ambrossio - Loved seeing him hit the scoreboard with his lethal kicking, as its been one thing I think he hasn't done as much as he could have this year, nailing a couple of shots. Also extra points for the celebration with Impey.

Great team effort, and love seeing this side play at the MCG on a day like this. Under estimate this side at your peril. To score over 130 points and over 20 goals was unthinkable looking at the conditions at the start of the game.

If I was Hawks GM I'd be petitioning for us to play Collingwood 3-5 times per year. You're near-guaranteed a 90-100% win rate and significant percentage boost 🤣

But in all seriousness I'm 31 years old and you guys have been kicking our butt my whole life - you even beat us in 2010 and 2023 (by a lot!) lol.

So yeah, thanks for all the emotional damage you've caused me. My psychologist is getting sick of hearing about it. But she's encouraged me to be more open with sharing so here I am.

I still get nightmares from the 2011 prelim.

Probably the loudest crowd I've ever attended.

So glad we picked Watson at 5. In all honesty he's probably shown as much as anyone in his draft class bar Reid (perhaps). He's going to be a joy to watch for years to come. The club absolutely got it right.
I still recall some doggies loser trolling us about sanders after they beat us in a PRACTICE GAME

Need to see how that chump is doing now

The way worpel, day, newk and Nash slip out of tackles is a sight to behold. Love this team.

Day is like an octopus with the way he contorts his body to get out of a phone box. Incredible core strength and coordination.

Anybody know what our percentage is since round 6?

Also is 133 our highest score under Mitchell? Can’t remember us kicking 20 goals.
We kicked 22.10.142 against WCE last year in Tassie

Last edited:
That was a late afternoon kill spree! Pies are done for the year, they were already bleeding before today but we as a bunch of young Hawks, opened up their rib cage and went for the feast.
Ward stays in.
Ambrosio now adding goal kicking to his reportaire.
Scrimshaw and Sicily could almost be squeezed into the AA team together.
Worpel and Nash absolute beasts.
Wizard and CMAC aerobic capacity and goal sense should be an absolute pleasure to watch in years to come.
Ginni?? Star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legit question, I’m interstate so can only watch on TV, is CJ doing a lot of running off screen for structure, because his disposal and decision making is horrible from the couch.

Not trying to be negative but on pure footy skills give me Morrison, I know CJ is learning a new position. That would account for running into wrong positions not basic skill errors.

F*ck yeah! That has to be one of our best games in a couple years. Ginni amazing against his old club, career high number of disposals, best on ground, loved both goal celebrations but the goodnight Pies was the best. Also had a great start to his post match interview 🤣. Love how everyone from everywhere had a chance anywhere anytime; D’Ambrosio with two goals, Impey with a goal, Newc with a great mark and goal up forward, CMac and Breust with four goals. Sicily great even with his shoulder injury, Scrimma with a great 100th, Frost and Weddle pretty good down back. Day, Impey, Amon, Nash, Newc, Meek all great around the ground. Meek has to be one of the best ruckmen in the comp. Nash and Chol great second ruckmen. Chol with great pressure and goals, just needs to improve marking. Watson with the best game of his career, he’s on fire, three goals, great pressure and tackles, and was even in the middle of the ground during a centre bounce running through, the confidence he has is helping him immensely, can’t be stopped now. We need to win 3 of the next 5 at least, and play Adelaide, Richmond, and North before the end of the season. GWS and Carlton in great positions for us to win as well. Sam Mitchell an amazing coach, would be so proud of the players at the moment. Adelaide next, in our retro guernseys, if we win, finals are pretty much locked in. We finally have a percentage above 100 and are 10th on the ladder. Life is pretty f*cking good. Let’s go Hawks!

Legit question, I’m interstate so can only watch on TV, is CJ doing a lot of running off screen for structure, because his disposal and decision making is horrible from the couch.

Not trying to be negative but on pure footy skills give me Morrison, I know CJ is learning a new position. That would account for running into wrong positions not basic skill errors.

Jiath played a great game and was one of our most important players. He is a central player in the way the team plays. I reckon your are wrong about his disposal and skills because they were pretty good and will only get better because he hasn't had much footy or continuity for quite a while. If he isn't now he will be one of our most important players going forward.

Who was saying Maginness was a dumb choice as sub?

Thought he showed the power and athleticism he's been showcasing at Box Hill the last month.

Looks really dangerous when he pushes forward.
Yeh I said it. Turned out we iced the game early anyway and Daicos was ineffective all day. Full Trust in Sam now!

There were moments today when I though - shit we are actually good. It's been a dam long time and we can do more than just make finals. - this year.

BTW. You blokes potting CJ before half time. He was running the wing ala Isaac circa 2011. 100m sprints over and over again. He blew sidebottom up and then markov and then got on top.

From my vantage point it was Connor Nash 3 votes all the way. Will Day was utter class all day while James Worpel was hugely influential. As for all the Luke Breust doubters out there, take a long, deep breath and stop being so goddamn willing to write the champ off

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024 : Hawks flatten Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back