Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh was gonna say I didn't remember him being too much of a feature at Casey.

He did have his detractors early (so did Martin). Those bigger explosive types always take a bit longer.

LDU took his time but he looked unstoppable today in Q2. Rayner is taking a while. Whether he gets there or not is another question.
Is Newk our version of this player? Do we need more?

That's because we have the worst starting ruckman in the league

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
You really aren't listening to what is being said...... 🤦‍♂️

If the coaches haven't adapted how we set-up and manage under the new rules then that is on them, not the players. Sam specifically said that they need to look at it and that we are lucky to have a couple of extra days to address the problem. The problem caused by the coaches getting it wrong.

You really aren't listening to what is being said......

If the coaches haven't adapted how we set-up and manage under the new rules then that is on them, not the players. Sam specifically said that they need to look at it and that we are lucky to have a couple of extra days to address the problem. The problem caused by the coaches getting it wrong.
A few extra days ain't changing the talent that's at our disposal.

We've got a few million dollars to spend, let's make sure we don't have a spine that reads Frost, Scrimshaw, Reeves, Chol, Lewis next year

Pretty sure he didn’t say that at all.

He said that (quite rightly) we want to be careful with the footy in our back half, but the players were too conservative / gun shy to pull the trigger on the quicker inside 50 kick.

When we had looks against a very well drilled defensive unit which we didn’t take, it made for frustrating footy as the opportunities were briefly there, but the confidence / ability to execute was lacking.

Not the end of the world. If we are producing the same in a month against weaker opposition then it’s time to get grumpy.

We as a coaching group need to asses the plan today and why it didn’t work. Our game style today is clearly not a sustainable one. I reckon he is absolutely seething just quietly.

He then discussed our centre bounce work and clearances and how we have been smashed in the first two rounds as one of the root causes.

David Hale is going to be in for a few restless nights.

Whoever (SYL) kept making a point of highlighting that Mitchell said we got first hands on it last week, well that's clearly an opposition plan. Countless times yesterday we would get the first touch they would wait then apply pressure, the ball would spill out to three of them waiting on the outside, a few handballs and an easy lead up mark in the F50. Rinse and repeat. Bombers did the same.

Hopefully Hale has cottoned onto this....
It is an interesting plan - AFL rules seem to not reward first at the ball often too as you get pinged HTB if first to it before a pile on.

Very disappointing when you cannot make a simple handball.

Yes - Had a shocking start to the year. Out-bodied by Fritsch is embarrassing.

Sicily named best just shows the people naming these players just look at the stats at the end of the game.

So many rubbish sideways chips back and forth and was destroyed by Fritsch 1-1 on a few occasions.

Been a really poor first two games from our skipper.

Everything is cookie cutter. If it doesn't come to him perfect he won't get it. Kicks and handball just off where they should be. Nothing to make you go, wow that was great play.

The closet thing was McKenzie in the last beating Gawn in the air and putting Lewis into space.
Was that the play that ended up with Finn and he should of used Ward on the outside and instead stuffed the Inside 50.

Ward was pissed and rightfully so.

I feel sorry for Mitch Lewis. He's a gun forward but there's very limited supply. He's like that spare tyre in the boot of your car that still has the dimples on it. Rarely used.

Don’t feel sorry, some of his leading patterns, running under balls and then being brushed aside like a school kid need to be looked at.

As a leader what about some physical presence on the ground and crash a pack or two when the chips are down?

When was he dropped to the VFL?

Year 1 - 17 games
Year 2 - 22 games
Year 3 - 24 games
Year 4 - 22 games
Year 5 - 17 games (missed round 3, played every other game until round 18, then missed the rest of the season)
i remember the hoopla about him playing vfl where he wasnt being picked in the afl paul roos was coach i think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few extra days ain't changing the talent that's at our disposal.

We've got a few million dollars to spend, let's make sure we don't have a spine that reads Frost, Scrimshaw, Reeves, Chol, Lewis next year

IMO there isn't a big a problem as you think (but we have been chasing a KPD). But if you want to point fingers then this mess as you see it is all on Clarko. Who has conveniently now turned up at a club that has been gifted top end talent by the AFL by compromising the draft to prop them up.

Reading this thread this morning it seems like not many listened to the press conference after the game.

Do yourselves a favour if you want to understand what went wrong in the first quarter and what our focus is.

Watching that I just feel like our gameplan of over possessing and trying not to turn over the ball in the back half was a negative one. Feel like it just makes the player scared to take the game on if the gameplan is “don’t cough the ball up in the back half”

What’s the rule change he’s referring to with the centre bounces that has seemed to impact our clearance work?

In your opinion…
They won’t go deep into September. Their forward line isn’t that good and they’re overly reliant on Gawn.
They’re not that good.
In my opinion.
How exactly are they reliant on Gawn, they have absolute quality all over the field. Gawn is a gun but they also have about 6-7 other genuine guns which is more than most teams.

Bingo. This still remains our biggest issue for mine.
I think drafting Wiz and Weddle is a step in the right direction, but we need way more.
we need elite talent. We haven't bottomed out yet, now is the time before taste come in. Play Huss, Seamus, Bmac and Ramsden. All high ceiling players. x factor

If we keep playing that shite we’ll have 20,000 fewer supporters attending games towards the end of this season.

Huge pressure on the coaches to turn things around.
Having young players won’t continue to be an excuse. That’s why Weddle’s game was good yesterday. He was prepared to take the game on, others were like rabbits caught in the headlights.

1.The backs (and the coaches) have to stop being afraid to move the ball forward. Every side we play is going to have a press. Clarkson was almost sacked for reverting to that crap.

2. Drop Maginness. There’s no place for him in that side. His poor disposal and turnovers are shocking and last week and this week have directly costed us goals.

3. Bring in Hustwaite. He’s shown elite ability (which we desperately lack) and should have been playing round 1.

4. Tell Ward - Will Day comes back in round 7. We’re going to play you in the starting midfield until then. You’ve got until then to show us you can impact a game, otherwise you can run around at Box Hill for a while.

5. Tell our tall forwards - don’t let your opponents mark unopposed. We’ve recruited a bunch of small forwards, so punch the ball to the ground and let them do their work.

6. Hawkins and Cameron will murder us next week. So play Ethan Philips. It’s time to stop being afraid.

Last edited:
Sam knows the answer - He has some duds in there. But he cannot say that in a presser.
Yeah what actually is the new ruck rule?

Someone should tell Sam that it isn't a rule that we have to play one man down after the ruck contest. A ruckman can do more than just attend ruck contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back