Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll repeat what I said after the * game. We need to start picking the side that we think will take us forward and get games into those players. And play people to their strengths. I'd like to see Ramsden in as the second ruck/fwd (we played well when Kosi played this role). Seamus in the backline for a bit of speed. Hustwaite in the team.

Gawn is arguably the best Ruck in the comp.
Reeves had more clearances, more hit outs and nullified Gawn in plenty of marking contests for the most part.

Gawn in no way beat Reeves to the point of him needing to be dropped, for Meek.
I am staggered how blinkered some people can be on this point

Why are we the only team in the league that cannot create an inch of space inside our forward 50? I honestly cannot understand it.
Because we have reverted to the old kick mark game which simply asks for flooding in defence from the opposition. Far too slow.

Last edited:
I'll repeat what I said after the * game. We need to start picking the side that we think will take us forward and get games into those players. And play people to their strengths. I'd like to see Ramsden in as the second ruck/fwd (we played well when Kosi played this role). Seamus in the backline for a bit of speed. Hustwaite in the team.

Chol has been doing really well as ruck/fwd. Unless you propose Ramsden > Gunston and let Chol play permanent KPF.

This could be a major part of it. Always trying to find an outside player in better position but putting more pressure on with each and every possession until it’s turned over.
You saw it a lot in the intra club matches and practice games. Short, sharp handballs to each other but no real release option. Good luck someone upfield trying to lead when they don’t know when the ball will come out.

Because we have reverted to the old kick mark game which simply asks for flooding in defence from the opposition. Far to slow.
Partially this, and partially because our forwards don’t lead to the ball carrier. Instead they stand one step behind their opponent and point towards our goal- expecting the ball carrier to nail a 50-60m pass off one step. When the ball unsurprisingly lands short it’s an uncontested mark to the opposition.

That was just Putrid. First game I’ve been to in a long time. I dare say it’ll be the last for awhile too. It really was boys vs men today!! We’re along way off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there really a spot in the team for Moore?

We're stacked with smalls forward, have enough smaller backs (Smitch, Morrison and CJ awaiting another chance), and have the wings covered.

I just don't think Moore is anywhere elite enough to play and sustain dominating performances in the middle that will lead us to where we want to go. And if our smaller forwards and backs are covered, where can he go?

The time for developing Hustwaite in the middle is probably right now and someone has to make way.

I don't believe it should be guys like Ward, Weds, Croc, and Frenchy who just need all the development/experience they can get.

I LOVE Moore and what he represents. But I just can't see him in a best 23 that is going to play finals.

Newcombe looks a shadow of himself from the last two years. No dash out of packs and not breaking tackles like we've seen in the past. His kicking previously was also long and penetrating but I haven't seen any of that from him so far this year.

I'm not sure how Meek is going at Box Hill and don't think he and Reeves can play in the same side. However, if Reeves continues to get trounced in ruck contests week-in week-out, we're going to have to see some change.

Brissy fans were highly critical of Gunston when him coming home was announced, I'll admit I didn't track his form when he was with them. But he's also looking quite cooked. Not able to work up the ground as he used to, dropping marks that used to be certainties. Even Breust has seen diminishing returns. I think if we can't turn it around by rounds 7-8 that it might be best for Ginni/Watson/Chol/Lewis/Moore if the old heads hang up the boots and let the youngins develop a bit of synergy and understanding up forward.

Our sub selections this year reek of a team that thinks it's better than it actually is. We're starting games on the back foot from the selection table. Neither Finn (lord help me) or Gunna offer a point of difference. Just s**t house.

After watching that today you are worried about our sub selection?

Yeesh that is about number 450 on my list of concerns right at the minute.

It's great to have two proper key forwards since the Roughy/Buddy days.

It would be great if we actually used them.
I feel like no one actually listened to Rob McCarthey on the Hawks insiders pod.

Just like last year, he stated that we’d have to build into the season. That we had some areas we know we need to get better at, but that we would in time.
That we have players who need to build an understanding together and they will be better for it as the season progresses.

Far too many white flags here as per usual.

Days like today make it feel like we are a million miles away.

It took Melboure and Carlton years and years to hit the draft jackpot.

Unless our early picks come on we are clinging to false hope and the arrogance that past success guarantees a successful future.

Our experienced core are not good enough to get us anywhere. Until we unearth our next group of star players we are better off staying at the top of the draft.

It's a long year. Let's hope for signs the kids might come on. Things can turn quickly if they do.

Does anyone know what the crowd figure was for today? I was at the ground and I’d say there were no more than 45k.

I fear for our attendances this season if that’s the performance we dish up for our first home game.

Would love an upset against the Cats but the squad needs a shake-up if that’s to happen. We need players fighting for their spot - there seems to be a fair bit of complacency creeping in.

A touch under 44K

He comfortably beat Ned, and yet you’re arguing that didn’t happen.

You seem obsessed with his hit outs and clearances. That’s not even half the output a ruck can make.

The fact is (aside from the 2nd quarter) we got hammered across our entire midfield, including Ned.

I’m not saying he should be dropped but when he has his colours clearly lowered, I don’t understand why you’d argue to the contrary.
I seem obsessed with providing some rationality to what our real issue is in the middle.

It’s cleanliness in the contest, it’s not the ruckman who’s winning more than his fair share of taps.

It’s a bit concerning that many think Day is the difference out there
Why ?

Arguably our best all round player.
The one midfielder we have who can win ball at contest and get it on the outside.
Can also play back and can kick goals.

Back in he improves our side more than anyone , comfortable .

Is there really a spot in the team for Moore?

We're stacked with smalls forward, have enough smaller backs (Smitch, Morrison and CJ awaiting another chance), and have the wings covered.

I just don't think Moore is anywhere elite enough to play and sustain dominating performances in the middle that will lead us to where we want to go. And if our smaller forwards and backs are covered, where can he go?

The time for developing Hustwaite in the middle is probably right now and someone has to make way.

I don't believe it should be guys like Ward, Weds, Croc, and Frenchy who just need all the development/experience they can get.

I LOVE Moore and what he represents. But I just can't see him in a best 23 that is going to play finals.
Bit harsh on Moore, was very good last week, second game blues usually happens after a big lay off

Not enjoyable.

Gunners is done. I hope this year doesn't turn into a repeat of Stratton's final year. The sooner we rip that band-aid off the better.
It's gonna be harder for HH to get a gig when Day comes back so surely now is the time.
I hope that tomorrow we see Ramma and HH put in performances worthy of a senior gig against the Cats.

Good to see:
Frost playing within his limitations again.
Mackenzie responding well to last week's timid showing.
Massimo backing up.
Wiz getting on the board.

Looking fwd to a better showing against the Cats next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back