Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting the different coping mechanisms on this forum. Feels like it’s either

a) This type of performance was always going to happen given xyz
b) Worst performance since Schwab was coach we’ll get smashed every week

Both equally bad takes.

We played awful, yes. Bring on the Cats and I bet you’ll see it turn fast.

One of the few positives for the day was a lot of frustrated players out there. Need to really hold each other to account. Also for those that care Worpel gave the group a bake after the game. Good to see.
I’m fairly sure our midfield being absolutely decimated two weeks in a row by the Bulldogs is a fair indication it was going to continue in the regular season. People have been saying ‘it will turn fast’ for three weeks now. I don’t think so.

I thought Chol was hard done by the umps to be fair.

One occasion he completely out jumps JVR in the centre bounce for a clean clearance and gets a late whistle to call it back despite both rucks contesting. Was a real WTF moment.

Had a free kick against him because JVR refused to contest the ball.

His game would have looked better if not for those.head scratchers.

One of these days in this so-called "professional" game, they may realise the only fair way is to throw the ball up. A bit tricky for the morons who administrate the game.

I’m intrigued by this. Are you able to point to the stats on this?
AFLfreekickstats.jpeg

No doubt this doesn't hold up in any relevant stastistical way, and it in no way proves my rant about the second-rate Demons organisation, but what do the first four teams in that list have in common?

In fact, if you swapped Collingwood for the Dees (a very dodgy statistical cheat), the top 7 clubs would all be wearing blue.

Feel free to dismiss my rant as the cloud-shouting of an angry conspiracy theorist, but I'm sticking to it. LOL.

This felt like a game from Clarko's last year.

I frequently feel despair about the state Clarko left the club in. His own angry ego and delusions of empire set us back at least 5 years.

Even if Mitchell wasn't a favourite son burdened with sky-high expectations based on his coaching mythology and the 'winning' Hawthorn culture, he was presented with mountain to climb before even entertaining notions of real success after a total rebuild.

My pet hate in football at present. I grow increasingly annoyed by 50 metre kicks downfield and seeing forwards just watching their opponent take an uncontested mark. WTF is that all about? It happens time and time again, and not just at Hawthorn. They have plenty of time to least contest the ball, but they just stand there watching. Wouldn't get away with it with some of the coaches I played under.
AH, i think this is happening far more because our forwards in particular tend to lead towards goal and not at the kicker, if the ball drops short or not kicked 70m they are out of position, that is the one that drives me batsh1t crazy.

Don't really care whether the analysis is correct, but Matthew Sniper Lloyd is a smirking, snivelling piece of weak sh!t who was protected as a player and is monotonous and tedious as a presenter. I despise the massive flog almost as much as Jimmy Turd.
He is absolutely spot on though.
No sweeper v the Dees in the CB is deadset negligent by Hale.

It was a long afternoon - not much fun to watch.

There were very few fluent plays from midfield to set shot/goal. Such a lack of confidence with Newcombe and Nash affecting everything from breaking tackles, to picking the ball up to making disposal decisions. Not sure what the cause is but we all see the results.

Other things/positives.
  • Chol - I love this guy. Putting on a lot of defensive pressure. Causing some hurt. Skillful kicking style and makes good decisions with the footy. (Usually a 40m pass to someone on a lead).
  • Ginnivan stands out for how clean he is. Another that continually looks for aggressive disposal but not high risk disposal
  • McKenzie responded really well to a not-so-good game last week.
  • Dambrosio quieter than last week (hard not to be) but work rate is huge and uses it well.
  • Weddle's forward craft is pretty good! Floating across and taking marks 40m out is a nice tool to have. I like him up forward. A lot.
  • Wiz kicking a goal. Scored more than any other player yesterday. More shots on goal than any other hawk this year. he's broken the seal and I'm looking forward to what he does next week.
  • Worpel still holding his head up high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is absolutely spot on though.
No sweeper v the Dees in the CB is deadset negligent by Hale.

Is it tactical? Or inexperience from young players who rush towards the ball thinking, wrongly, they can make an impact.

It's a hallmark of our young team how often we get sucked into the contest all over the ground.

And Princess Lloyd is still a massive unrelenting flog with a punchable face and a moronic voice.

Not nice of news.com.au to describe Chols aerial contest as a ‘hit’

That's not a news organisation with any standards to speak of.

They are a bottom-feeding fear-mongering sh!trag with zero redeeming qualities.

Look away, Murdoch and his arse-lackeys are making you dumber and making the country worse by the day.

Is it tactical? Or inexperience from young players who rush towards the ball thinking, wrongly, they can make an impact.

It's a hallmark of our young team how often we get sucked into the contest all over the ground.

And Princess Lloyd is still a massive unrelenting flog with a punchable face and a moronic voice.
It’s all our players - they still hunt at CSB and stoppages with no defensive mindset.

Day is the one who usually hangs back as sweeper.

It’s a natural extension of him growing up as a half back who has been developed into a sweeper / first receive mid.

Unless / until Nash, Worpel, Newk or one of our other young kids actually accept that role is necessary - which frankly they should given how obvious oppositions have exploited us out the front of stoppage - then we will continue to bleed this way.

Today’s first quarter was simply cringeworthy- unwatchable.
Our tactic seemed to be - whatever you do, don’t kick it to May and Lever.
We succeeded there. We spend the quarter just chipping around half back (until we turned it over and gifted Melb a few goals).

We’re a long, long way off the pace.
In Sam's press conference he said the plan was to keep the ball away from Lever & May. That first quarter was a shocker. The number of possessions we had with no effect was amazing.

Ward and McKenzie have also struggled defensively in the centre bounce as similar aged mids.

We know that MacDonald was a very productive mid as a junior and I feel offers more strength and agility than Ward and more speed than McKenzie. He also knows where the goals are.

Not saying the other two shouldn't play there but would like to see more mid time for McDonald (and Hustwaite) going forward.
Same happened to Macdonald against Essendon

Would like some smarter footballers in the centre bounce - CMac, Hustwaite. Anyone except Nash and Worpel who are being slaughtered out of the centre square and continually chasing their opponents while they take the ball on the attacking side of the centre. If this continues we will be last or second last this year.

Reeves had zero touches in the last quarter.
Regarding Reeves vs Gawn. I have not seen a ruchman cover as much ground as Gawn. He does this week in week out. So of course he is going to get more possessions around the ground but he does this against all ruckmen. And this is the main problem with Reeves he doesn't get around the ground.enough. I would love to see a heat map of a days play from Reeves. I think his tank is very low.

It’s all our players - they still hunt at CSB and stoppages with no defensive mindset.

Day is the one who usually hangs back as sweeper.

It’s a natural extension of him growing up as a half back who has been developed into a sweeper / first receive mid.

Unless / until Nash, Worpel, Newk or one of our other young kids actually accept that role is necessary - which frankly they should given how obvious oppositions have exploited us out the front of stoppage - then we will continue to bleed this way.

Sounds like a job for Huss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back