Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't do it, but I'd love to see a back 6 of Hardwick, Blanck, DGB, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Weddle, with Impey as the 7th rotation.

Would give Seamus a rest for the final month, knowing he's best 22 next season.
Would get a good look at DGB and also allow us to see how Sicily and Scrimshaw play with Blanck locking down. Let Denver play as a hybrid lock/down interceptor which I assume is what we've wanted him to be since he was drafted.
Id have Jeka in there ahead of DGB going on what both have shown so far. At least give him first crack at that position.

I am sorry but I cannot watch Frost anymore.
he causes goals for the opposition consistently, even when we have the ball. He is the worst defender I can recall in watching over decades.
today was the last straw. I would rather Puopolo came back and played CHB than him play another game. It is so obvious I have no idea what the coach is thinking. Nowhere near AFL standard in any respect. Move on already

I am sorry but I cannot watch Frost anymore.
he causes goals for the opposition consistently, even when we have the ball. He is the worst defender I can recall in watching over decades.
today was the last straw. I would rather Puopolo came back and played CHB than him play another game. It is so obvious I have no idea what the coach is thinking. Nowhere near AFL standard in any respect. Move on already
100% agree. He makes us almost unwatchable

Just curious. What are some of the bad recruits (or worse) that you can recall? Would be interesting.
Not factoring in costs or reasons why we might’ve brought them in. Just focussing in output, vickery is an obvious one, Philips, Scully, Patton, Frost are recent ones that come to mind who provided less than Wingard.

My opinion is that (especially for a team in the phase we are in) he offers zero value both short and long term. I would rather be experimenting with young kids than risking Wingard on the list. Looking at how his time at the club has transpired there is nothing there that says he should be retained.

I think zero value is probably a bit over the top, especially without being inside the club day to day. From all intel I’ve seen he is very much a great mentor to some of our younger players and hasn’t compromised in his standards despite the rough run he’s had.

I’m not a huge fan of what he’s delivered on the field either, but one year deals on average salary going forward I think would be the go if he wants to play on.

Love Impeys character and effort but he is a c grade ball butcher. Had a shocker. As did most of our our backline.

Reeves was really missed. That first quarter they smashed us in the centre bounces. Game over.

Our mids getting pantsed by Brad Crouch is sad. To my eye Newk was going head to head with Steele which means it's in the lap of Worps and Nash.

Nash had zero tackles today. I did not think that is possible for someone of his size .

By that logic, we should move Breust on as well. Butler, JOS and Bennetts aren't there yet.

And what second/third tall forward has prospered from Gunston leaving?

I didn’t mention Bruest so don’t put words in my mouth and we didn’t move Gunners on he left the club of his own account!
Wingard has been terrible until his
last 8 quarters of football and 2 of those quarters he went missing!
By your logic you must regret Jaeger and Tom leaving?
Look at what has happened!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said better trade commodity!
Chad is not part of our future moving forward there is no value to resigning him when we have Butler ,O’Sullivan and Bennetts at Box Hill they need more exposure at senior football.
As proven when Jaegar, Tom and Gunners left green shoots have prospered and need to be cutting the dead wood so we as a club can flourish !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love watching Chad when he is in form, but for his sake I hope he gets picked up by a genuine finals contender to see out his career.

I’m not saying Frenchie won’t become a good player who justifies his high pick but right now if the 2023 draft was redone, he is not going number 6. Every rising star nomination from that intake is ahead of him for a start. His best game might well have been his first, I think. Ward started slowly last year but came good near the end of the season; Frenchie really hasn’t influenced a game yet.
People who call for a draft to be redone after less than 12 months have…..very odd expectations of AFL draftees

I’m not saying Frenchie won’t become a good player who justifies his high pick but right now if the 2023 draft was redone, he is not going number 6. Every rising star nomination from that intake is ahead of him for a start. His best game might well have been his first, I think. Ward started slowly last year but came good near the end of the season; Frenchie really hasn’t influenced a game yet.

Who from the players picked after him would you pick?

Probably Ginbey then daylight

Frenchy came into the AFL with the least likely frame out of the top 10 so will take some more time. His kicking and decision making is elite, just needs the body to go along with it now

Surprising number. The disappointing thing about Meek's ruckwork is that he's more of a quelling ruck, than a decisive tapper. We couldn't get much going from the taps he did win.

Meanwhile, Saints kicked 5 goals for centre bounce in the 1st. A record for them.
Try “Metres gained”
Meek - 5
Marshall - 258

Ned does little better mind you.

Neither of our rucks use the ball by foot to gain territory. Would be nice if that could change

Who from the players picked after him would you pick?

Probably Ginbey then daylight

Frenchy came into the AFL with the least likely frame out of the top 10 so will take some more time. His kicking and decision making is elite, just needs the body to go along with it now
Philippou was there there. But yes I think it’s obviously crazy to make any sort of redraft call at this stage is crazy

You might be laughing after today but your team are going nowhere.
Not much to get excited about at the Saints 🙂
Yeah I heard a comment from an up and about Saints fan at the game along the lines of " least you got draft picks to look forward too" I fired back "Were always going to be closer to a flag than you guys ever will" which got a few laughs. Such knob supporters with very little to show for it. Beating us and Norf 2 weeks in a row means nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back