Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Half their post game thread is dedicated to him, but yeah he's not in their heads hey greatwhiteshark

Yeah, it's unreal how most of their autopsy thread is filled with tears about Reid.

Quite hilarious but at least most called out the bloke who made that post, saying it was unhinged.

Imagine being a supporter base that's so mentally fragile that a 19 year old kid from a bottom 3 team gets in your head.
Absolutely pathetic bunch of campaigners.

Exhibit A:

Pretty scathing self-assessment.

Despite the win, still not over the number Harley did on the entire Docker population.

So good to see a bit of genuine passion and fire from the coach again, and the fact he's backing them to play on the edge.

That's the kind of footy I want to watch.

If they can bring the same effort for the rest of the season, and he keeps doing what he's doing with the b22, then Schofield will be the man to lead this team forwardđź‘Ť.
Can remember Schofield as a player - he was no champion when he played for us but he made up for this in spades as he was one tough customer who didn’t give an inch - and can remember being disappointed when he left to then play for Freo and then Port or was it the other way around. I certainly wouldn’t mind him getting the gig as head coach as it’s about time we got some toughness and strength of character around the place.

Can remember Schofield as a player - he was no champion when he played for us but he made up for this in spades as he was one tough customer who didn’t give an inch - and can remember being disappointed when he left to then play for Freo and then Port or was it the other way around. I certainly wouldn’t mind him getting the gig as head coach as it’s about time we got some toughness and strength of character around the place.

Yes This ....back to basics coach with good experience and success , players already respect him did better then expected against a firing Freo in great form.
Unless an experienced coach of note applies for the coaching job which could be difficult , even then still Schofield !!

View attachment 2061305

TK comfortably best on in the player ratings. Not saying he was actually the clear best on, or even our best, but the hand wringing over Tim Kelly is astonishing. He was a clear asset on the day (again) and we’ve got people acting like they’ll gladly never see him play for us again.

Our list is far, far, too bad to be worrying about a bloke this good.
I would like to see Kelly spend sometime on the HFF like he used to for Geelong and alternate as an outside mid - don’t think he’s got it to be an inside mid imo.

Half their post game thread is dedicated to him, but yeah he's not in their heads hey greatwhiteshark

Why would I care what fans think? Freo the football team did their due diligence and put work into a good midfielder. And you guys are doing your nuts over it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive: Liam Ryan with the ball

Negative: Liam Ryan without the ball.

Attacking the ball and tackling have never been his strengths but in an intense game his weak half-efforts stood out like a sore thumb. Extremely frustrating.

If unsociable footy is what gets the best out of Harley, then **** it, I hope he plays tough, unsociable footy for the rest of his career. Could do with the campaigneriness in our side.

Hoping to see atleast another decade of opposition fans tears over it every time they play us.

Where does it state a first year player should be umpired differently to any other player types? Harley was getting frees early in the year when he was going about his business.. now he wants to umpire and play when things go against him so he is going to get the thin edge of the wedge until he cuts it out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well that’s not very professional by the umps - if the free kicks are there no matter who it is they get paid and vice versa obviously - if they can’t do this then it’s time for them to give umpiring away and find another occupation!

I loved Reid’s game. There are 19 year olds playing decent footy this year, but none that have this kind of impact on a game. Heck, the large quantity (freos midfield included bar Fyfe) never will.

Don’t care about the free kicks. He got in their heads and I think when he plays like that we bounce off his energy. Freo really were off their game in the first half and I feel he was such a big part of that. Deserved some protection and I can’t believe Brayshaw wasn’t cited for that hit off the ball in the 3rd.

When he gets a few preseasons under his belt he’s almost going to be untouchable. We just need to give him some partners to work with.

Liked the effort this week. Result didn’t go our way but I felt we did give it a good crack. Again, like the Brisbane game, we just need to find a way to bottle it and back it up to next week.

As a Freo supporter, sitting in the Western stand behind the goals my impression was as follows:

Tall forwards
Oscar Allen needs a preseason, gun, but wasn’t his usual best yesterday. Jack Williams and Jake Waterman are your future trio of talls. Age wise they are slightly older than our trio of Jye, Jackson and Josh but aren’t too far apart talent wise.

Small forwards
Not much there, really need to add someone beyond Liam Ryan. Cripps is cooked and should retire. Petrucelle more suited to a wing.

Mids
Yeo and Kelly were the best of your lot this match. I thought Reid played a bit of a selfish game. There were several moments he could have given a quick handball to Yeo or Kelly who were breaking forward of stoppage and he didn’t. Went the don’t argue instead, which looks cool but breaks down the handball chain. He’ll get there in time, but he’s not playing team footy at the moment. Why didnt Hunt spend more time onball? You guys are missing Elijah Hewitt, need more class. Shame he’s injured. I would think you 2-3 more young class in the centre quartet to replace Yeo / Kelly.

Wings
largely non-existent. Fortunately they are relatively easy to find in an offseason.

Key backs
Barrass still a gun, but Harry showed something beyond what I thought he was capable of. He’s afl quality. Rotham like the sentiment here, probably is done. I wonder if you trade Barrass and try and find a steal somewhere. Age wise Barrass and McGovern for that point, doesn’t align with your next push.

Small backs
Hough is talented. I wonder if he needs to play midfield. Take that tall midfield role. Though he’s a great blanket, shutdown small. I wonder if he would be better served playing onball. Gimbey played well without being outstanding. I think he’ll be a slow burn into midfield, bit like Young for us.

Rucks
Bailey Williams is better than Flynn, but Tim English would shit all over both of them. Hope your pockets are deep, I’ve heard he’s nearly over the line.

Overall
You guys are missing 3-4 line breaking long kicking flankers / wingers. Like Lewis Jetta transformed your backline back in the day, and Jordan Clark / Walker / Wagner have for us, you need to find a few players better than Hunt to exit deep 50. You went very tall yesterday, it looked ok to start but you ran out of puff.

I would like to see Kelly spend sometime on the HFF like he used to for Geelong and alternate as an outside mid - don’t think he’s got it to be an inside mid imo.
Kelly misses targets regularly when he has time and space .

If he is not playing inside he doesn't get that leway when it comes to poor disposal by foot and would soon find himself under more scrutiny.

We barely have and senior inside mid so I doubt he moves position

It's good that the likes of Rotham, Trew and Culley are getting games because you can see who actually has a future in the league.

Rotham is done. He has 1 okay game every 10. The other 9 are poor. He's just not afl standard. Delist

Culley will be given another week or 2 id imagine but he's simply too slow and doesn't have a strong part of his game to offset his slowness e.g. strong marker, great kick etc. Doesn't have a future at afl, especially in midfield

Trew looks ok but is prone to concussion. Not sure if he will be given another go in 2025 unless he comes back and performs decently in the last 3 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back