Round 20 Armageddon: Dees V Hawks, the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Russian - Great game, especially his 2 goals in the third.

At the time, I was thinking/hoping that would turn out to be the match-winning move. His ability to miraculously clunk the pill from four deep changes our whole forward line.

The Fugly: Hawthorn is a team of filthy cheats. Multiple throws were seen by the crowd but not the umps (admittedly we had a couple as well). Franklin deserves both an Oscar and an Olympic Gold Medal for the 10m Springboard. Brown is just annoying generally - multiple Gold Coast calls were had at his expense (they annoyed the Hawks people in front of us as well hehe).

The Good
Stayed with them for most of the game even though I thought we were out played for most of the game.

The Bad

Trengove - Has been very ordinary since coming back from injury, should be dropped.

Watts - A game in the VFL might not be such a bad idea as long as Miller doesn't take his spot.

Seeing that dog Kennett's smug face after the game. You had nothing to do with winning the game you arrogant prick, we played shit, lost Davey and it rained that's why we lost.

The Fugly

What can you say about the umpires.
It makes me laugh when Knights is under the pump for terrible performances while Gieshen has no pressure at all. What a cushy job where you can continue to perform poorly and not have a care in the world.
Sack Gieschen, sack him now.

Our overhead marking inside 50. Can anyone take an overhead mark at all?

Good:
-Bail. Impressive. Best I've seen him play.
-Bruce. Another top line performance.
-Jurrah. A great presence. Love the way he and Wona work together.
-Rivers. Has had a good year where hr has really matured.

Bad:
-Garland. Held my breath every time ge kicked today he mucked it up so much. Really want someone else to kick out after a behind.
-Watts: Not a good day. Needs to attack thr ball harder.
-Our arrogant play on turnovers after half time and refusal to man-up which really hurt. We aren't that good yet.

Ugly:
-Umpires: Embarassing. Cannot touch Lance Franklin
-Roughead's defensive efforts. Seriously the worst in the comp. Just insipid from a so-called professional athlete. Looks Luke he couldn't be bothered. I'd love him kicking goals for us but couldn't put up with his token efforts.

The Fugly: Hawthorn is a team of filthy cheats. Multiple throws were seen by the crowd but not the umps (admittedly we had a couple as well). Franklin deserves both an Oscar and an Olympic Gold Medal for the 10m Springboard. Brown is just annoying generally - multiple Gold Coast calls were had at his expense (they annoyed the Hawks people in front of us as well hehe).

Yeah I totally agree with you about Brown, although we'd probably love him if he wore red and blue ;) Hopefully he does play for Gold Coast next year and we will see how tough he is without so many big bodies around him. I'd love to see a big guy just swot him like the little pest that he is...

Spot on with Buddy too, he's become the new Matty Lloyd. He is a champion and he kicked a couple of great goals today but he needs to stop trying to get cheap free kicks.

Good:
- Scully played well.
- The impact Jordie Mckenzie has in congestion deserves a tonne of recognition. He thrives in the wet especially.
- If Johnson can lift his ruck game a bit more, having the ability to chuck Jamar up forward will be a great asset
- Jones was instrumental in a fair few goals, been in great form this year.

Bad:
- Bartram can play really well some games, but other times he'll just be a walking clanger.
- Watts. Needs. To. Believe. In. Himself. First quarter in the pocket, I was praying he'd atleast try and dribble it through, instead he stopped and was looking everywhere. He saw there was no option but still refused to have a ping. Much rather you have a dip then get done for holding the ball.

Fugly:
- Did Frawley sleep with that umpires wife or something? The calls against him were atrocious. All credit to him though, he could have given away some 50s by going off at the ump but he managed to keep his cool.

I really like the zone (I guess you could call it that) that our forwards create by pushing up the ground, and then having the ball being delivered over them to run on to. Makes it very hard for defenders because they then have to stay on the forward, and then double back.

The guys on MMM picked up on this today, and I think it's something we've been doing for a while that I've noticed.

I really like the zone (I guess you could call it that) that our forwards create by pushing up the ground, and then having the ball being delivered over them to run on to. Makes it very hard for defenders because they then have to stay on the forward, and then double back.

The guys on MMM picked up on this today, and I think it's something we've been doing for a while that I've noticed.
Yeah it definitely looked dangerous when the ball when into the forward line with so much space for Jurrah and Wona. Shame that the ball hardly went in there today. Was 29 Inside 50's at three quarter time. :thumbsdown:

I know you can't blame the umps but today was bad. Hawks got what seemed to be so many free kicks inside 50 that weren't there.

It baffles me why everyone is so outraged when a goal umpire makes a wrong decision, but when a field umpire makes a dodgy call that results in unfair scoring there is no disturbance in the force.

Not too unhappy about the outcome today, I predicted a loss by 20 points before the match, and I think the boys overall gave a fair account of themselves. As expected, the hardened bodies and experience of the Hawks midfielders proved to be the deciding factor - nothing much we can do about that now, but a few more preseasons and things will be much brighter.

Good:
- Bruce: has turned things around in the 2nd half of the season.
- Sylvia: provided almost all of our centre clearances in Q3-4, we would have been smashed if it weren't for him.
- Jurrah: Marks are not sticking like last year, but he is slowly getting touch back.
- Frawley: Tight on Buddy today, did well.
- Jamar: Did ok, although was hoping that he would smash Renouf and Skipper. Hit-outs seemed largely ineffective, although this was probably more due to our mids than himself.
- Scully: Good drive through the midfield. Needs to be more careful to not handpass to stationary targets.
- Bail: Great game.
- McKenzie and McDonald: For strong tackling efforts.

The bad:
- Jack Watts' slow decision making. There are numerous occasions in each match where he spends forever thinking about what to do. In the 1st quarter, he had the ball in the left forward pocket 30m out in the open, and hesitated for about 5 seconds...opportunity lost. Needs to develop more "greediness"/killer instinct.
- Poor adjustments in game tactics. We need to learn to stop trying to finesse the ball when it is pelting down rain...high-risk, pinpoint passes from defence are not prudent in these conditions.

Ugly:
- Clearances: Got smashed in the clearances, both numerically and on quality. However, to be expected, given stronger and older Hawks' bodies.

I think we allowed Hawthorn to play the game on their terms from Q2 onwards.

Although the theory was sound, in that Bailey tried to soak up the pressure applied by the Hawks and then, in turn, break quickly through the strategy that Marns alluded to earlier, I think this gave our opposition far too much possession and time with the ball.

As a result, I felt we had little control over the contest, especially considering the fact that, Sylvia aside, we really struggled to make an impact at the stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 20 Armageddon: Dees V Hawks, the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back