Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I said in the game day thread and I'll say it again if McEvoy breaks even in the ruck (and I'm talking ruckwork nothing else) we generally win, he destroyed Goldstein for 20 mins or so in the first but little else. He usually makes up for it around the ground that's he's strength, but Goldstein after that point, point blank embarrassed him around the ground as well. That is not to blame BB for the loss but I think it's been a bloody good barometer for our team this year given we don't have a freak extractor in Mitchell playing.

To the rest... and some of it wasn't great with the good but the effort was there.

The good:
Chad, actually thought at times he was above the game. He tried to explain to a guy can't remember who in the last but if I have it run forward it'll land in you hands... and tbh it would've. But I'll leave it there. I'd almost argue he was best on ground.
Gunston worked really hard late, as did Sicily and Burgoyne and Scully finally started to run. Worpel worked really hard early, thought he faded but that's fine.
Thought Frawley was good too, don't say Ben B kicked 'x' goals say how many goals did Ben B kick when on Frawley... or it wasn't a free kick given away by some other dufus down back. Lewis was good first half too happy with how he improves a bit each week.

The bad:
Backline's complete lack of run. Maybe it was because they used up all their energy stopping entries (even though we once again dominated that) we miss Impey badly and Smith while trying isn't working. Yet he's working better than Birchall, Hardwick and Stratton at the moment by himself... Sicily tried in the last bit, Frawley gave more than the 3 I mentioned and that's probably all you need to say. I thought it would be keeping up with NM, but at the end of the day it was the other way.

Oly has at best been Morrison the past two weeks, at worst made Morrison look like Haydn Bunton. And in saying that I'm happy he's got game time, I'm happy he's having a go. But I just get the feeling Oly just needs to go back get a bit more confidence and do a little more on the weights in the off season. Which is fine at this point of his career... but we are carrying a player at the moment on the field. He's not the only one, but the others are old and perhaps gone, I'm just saying give the kid a rest.

Jaegar... been a bit of an apologist, but JOM today your disposal was poo, no way around that. As some will say you've carried a heavy load, my argument today would be so has Worpel and he's disposal was better today and you've got 5 more years at a minimum development already in you.

The ugly:
Pops and Stratts, I honestly don't know based purely on todays game how you can see them at the club going forward. Marley Williams embarrassed Pop and wherever Stratts went NM got a goal. Pop seems to have lost his burst and strength, Stratts has lost pace but he cannot keep his feet anymore at all in a contest based on any semblance of strength. Know well I love these blokes for the premierships they have delivered.

Howe: I think I'll just say Howe. But how did he suddenly become twice as slow as Patrick Cripps? He was never that slow in fact he had Cripps number amd ran off him. ut a times today he looked slow, not old he's not old but god he was treacle at times.

The loss itself take it or leave it, disappointed for Bergs a little.. if it gets us an earlier draft pick bonus.

Lack of leadership and consistent intensity yet again - poor and inexplicable games from our experienced players.

Finals are out of the question so would like to see how Ross, Walker and CJ fare at the top level and whet their appetite for a huge crack next year.

Smashed around the footy after the first quarter and a lack of forward defensive pressure with Williams, Pittard and Polec running the ball out of the back half at will - Poppy, Nash and Breust all had shockers and might be ready for a spell.

Worpel and Chad magnificent - JOM tried his guts out, however, looks sore and played without luck.

Sick of the crap thrown the way of my boy the Blond Prince - blatantly targeted by the flogs in green and one of few in the team who flies the flag.

Need some enforcers as we’re too bloody soft and allow opponents to break tackles with ease.

Disappointed that we didn’t put in a better effort for the great man Silk - legend of the club and let down tonight.

Bring on trade week and 2020.

Ziebell frequently owns us- did Howe have a crack at him at all?

I thought your senior players let you down, Smith, Scully and Stratton's kicking looked off tonight. They looked like they were kicking a beanbag at times which helped us on the turnover.

McEvoy's injury nullified your first use and with Goldy following up like a ruck rover it eventually over powered your midfield. Contested ball was fairly even but I thought our use was much better in general play after 1/4 time.

Worpel was fantastic but the move from Shaw to play Cunnington on him also worked for us, it was like a win/win for both sides and it became a great contest to watch as an aside to the game.

The effort was there but we just didn't look like it when North turned up the heat. At least Roughy will get a farewell game now. And perhaps Dave Mirra and Schoey too. Nothing against Mirra or Schoey but we will need to move quite a few blokes on to regenerate our list.

I love the effort Poppy brings but despite busting his guts he struggles to make an impact these days. And Breust has me baffled. I am a fan of his but he goes missing way too often.

One thing I will say is now that were gone from the final eight (ok technically not but geez) I hope and damn well expect to be able to (becoz he's selected) attend Roughy's fairwell game in Melbourne.

I think he's earned it. Deserved it for what he's done over his career for this club.

All we need it Rough, Rough...
Rough is all we need.

I thought your senior players let you down, Smith, Scully and Stratton's kicking looked off tonight. They looked like they were kicking a beanbag at times which helped us on the turnover.

McEvoy's injury nullified your first use and with Goldy following up like a ruck rover it eventually over powered your midfield. Contested ball was fairly even but I thought our use was much better in general play after 1/4 time.

Worpel was fantastic but the move from Shaw to play Cunnington on him also worked for us, it was like a win/win for both sides and it became a great contest to watch as an aside to the game.
Smith was ok when things were going our way, But 100% agree

McEvoy obviously after his thumb struggled. Worpel had a great game but Cunnington had a shocker for the first 90 minutes and worked back into the game.

Just finished watching the game. Not the result I was hoping for but probably the result I expected, given that I rate North since Shaw took over and we simply cannot play Marvel stadium.

Worpel is a deadset gun. Without getting too carried away, is his ceiling as high as Tom Mitchell’s? From what I saw tonight it very well could be. Also his decision making and disposal have improved immensely in the last month - the S. Mitchell effect.

Chad was frickin incredible. He certainly has that ‘x-factor’ match winning ability and it was on display tonight. I underestimated how good he could be as a midfielder. Seriously good. I hope the nay-sayers are feeling ashamed of themselves now.

I’ve seen many people calling for Nash to be dropped, I just don’t get it. His ability to not be outmarked even when out of position is so important and he allows Mitch Lewis to do what he does. Also did you forget that incredible chase down the wing after Polec?!?! That is the type of dedication I want in my side.

One thing I’m really disappointed in this year is the crumbing ability of our forwards. Lewis, Nash and TOB get to so many contests and bring the ball to ground so often but there are rarely small forwards waiting at their feet to crumb the ball. The number of times that our big targets make a contest, only for the opposition crumbers to sweep the ball away with ease. Puopolo and Breust have really dropped off in this area this year, I have no idea why but it is bloody frustrating.

Also, how many chances have we squandered this year directly in front of goal. I’m talking like literally in the goalsquare, it never used to be an isssue.

For these very reasons I think it’s time we gave Ross a debut. He has that great ability to kick goals out of nowhere which we really need right now. Breust and Poppy have not been able to deliver that very often this season. Bring Ross in and tell him to follow Mitch Lewis around and sit at his feet all night, I think he’d go alright.

Scrimshaw or CJ for Birch next week.

^^^
Yep. As much as Pops has been massive for us, He's off the boil, still provides pressure but i dont think thats enough

Nash is a honest to god hard worker. Athletic as hell, Weird that for an irishman his kicking is stuffed, Ild drop TOB first

Just finished watching the game. Not the result I was hoping for but probably the result I expected, given that I rate North since Shaw took over and we simply cannot play Marvel stadium.

Worpel is a deadset gun. Without getting too carried away, is his ceiling as high as Tom Mitchell’s? From what I saw tonight it very well could be. Also his decision making and disposal have improved immensely in the last month - the S. Mitchell effect.

Chad was frickin incredible. He certainly has that ‘x-factor’ match winning ability and it was on display tonight. I underestimated how good he could be as a midfielder. Seriously good. I hope the nay-sayers are feeling ashamed of themselves now.

I’ve seen many people calling for Nash to be dropped, I just don’t get it. His ability to not be outmarked even when out of position is so important and he allows Mitch Lewis to do what he does. Also did you forget that incredible chase down the wing after Polec?!?! That is the type of dedication I want in my side.

One thing I’m really disappointed in this year is the crumbing ability of our forwards. Lewis, Nash and TOB get to so many contests and bring the ball to ground so often but there are rarely small forwards waiting at their feet to crumb the ball. The number of times that our big targets make a contest, only for the opposition crumbers to sweep the ball away with ease. Puopolo and Breust have really dropped off in this area this year, I have no idea why but it is bloody frustrating.

Also, how many chances have we squandered this year directly in front of goal. I’m talking like literally in the goalsquare, it never used to be an isssue.

For these very reasons I think it’s time we gave Ross a debut. He has that great ability to kick goals out of nowhere which we really need right now. Breust and Poppy have not been able to deliver that very often this season. Bring Ross in and tell him to follow Mitch Lewis around and sit at his feet all night, I think he’d go alright.

I think Ross is in the Hawks plans for next year and thus he doesn't need a game in the AFL to get another contract. And i think that we aren't planning to play him this year because of the risk he could get squashed. Similar to Will Golds.

But yeah, our forward line is our biggest problem at the moment. I don't see any answers at Box Hill to fix that for the rest of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash had 6 disposals, 1 mark and 5 tackles tonight. If that is your definition of a good game I would hate to see what you classify as a poor one!

The sooner we find a leader or leadership on field the better for the team. Like another poster said the strangest decision in the Clarkson era. Feels like were craving for it. Were all at sea in this area and its the reason we can blow out to a four goal lead in games and then squander it. Something needs to change.
Clarkson looked very upset in the post match. More upset than the loss to Brisbane. You can see the wear an tear of this season on his face.

Last edited:
Right now if he plays to his level and plays midfield every week he is our best mid out there. Jaeger does not do what Chad is capable of doing. Has gone past him in a month of footy. That's what I got from tonight. First time I'm getting concerned that Jaeger will be nothing more than a solid B grader. Has lost his acceleration. There was 1 I instant tonight when Simpkin ran past him like he was standing still and you just couldn't picture that happening a few years back.

Just need to accepts Jags for what he is, he’ll still get it 25 times and is quite good in close but he has no explosiveness or power as an athlete anymore which must be frustrating for him. Mentally he must be thinking “gee I used to treat you blokes with contempt, over powering and being to dynamic”. Now he more so plods around the ground at the one speed, trying to get to contests so he can impact by hand or with a hurried kick.

Worpel has a knock on him with his speed, but the way he moves inside to outside the contest and his agility is unbelievable, Jags really does look like an old man in comparison.

I’ve got no interest in oppo supporters coming in here giving us feedback on our players.

We need to reward those that regularly kick goals at box hill , Walker and Ross should be in this side on form line. We need to stop thinking about how we can lock the ball in and think how we can kick more goals and win it out of the Centre for more than one quarter.

Our players made perhaps the strangest decision ever in AC's era of player empowerment to choose leaders this year.
It was still ratified by the football dept then presented to the board. The entire club had a hand in it. It took some time so there must have been some second guessing along the way.

After 1/4 time they were a bit better in all areas and gradually over ran us . Frustrating to watch. They were a bit sharper then us and hate to say it just wanted it a bit more.

Hate losing but in the scheme of things it’s a round 20 loss in a season we were never winning a flag in and really haven’t looked like making finals.

Few tweaks here and there with some personal changes and we will be a decent side next season

I love angry Wingard, but I missed angry Sicily badly. I'm okay with him giving free kicks here and there but if it can lift the teams I'm fine. We are way too vanilla at the moment.

I think I can understand why Poppy is still playing. It's the fighting spirit. It's hard to see him chasing so hard but missed the tackle. Age finally caught up with him.

I haven't seen Clarko reacting like that for a long time. Looks like a big clean up will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back