Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to reward those that regularly kick goals at box hill , Walker and Ross should be in this side on form line. We need to stop thinking about how we can lock the ball in and think how we can kick more goals and win it out of the Centre for more than one quarter.
Correct. Either mark it, or score. That creates more pressure anyway.

We gotta move on from some players immediately. Only thing left to salvage is a game or 2 to some kids that need a taste.

forwards:
Breust: did alright, looking more like he did last year, but it's a bit late I'm afraid.
Lewis: Had one standout quarter, then either lost his confidence or blew his load too early (definitely one of our best)
Poppy: Heart and soul player- I thought this was one of his strongest games this year
Gunston: Had a great game
TOB: Looked hesitant, as if he'd lost some confidence
Nash: Struggled in this one- had some great run down defensive moves, but wasn't able to impact like he has in the past
Hanrahan: Didn't appear must in this one

Mids:
Shiels: Not his greatest game. Looks poor kicking into 50 if he doesn't have an easy target, and I get worried when he gets the ball breaking out of congestion; head down, bombs it.
JOM: did a lot right this game.
Scully: Not a great night- looked scared of contests
Smith: did alright without being amazing.
Worpel: MVP- boy howdy this guy is going to be a star
Wingard: Another great game, building really nicely in the middle and appeared to follow systems exceptionally well tonight.
Hendo: Appeared to be strong in patches without being amazing ever.
BB: A great game from him, a shame he hurt his thumb as I think that negated his impact

Defense:
Hardwick: Played his usual serviceable hard game, did his thing well enough
Stratts: Did alright defensively, didn't look flash with ball in hand
Howe: Lacks leg speed and tank. Looks ok when attacking contests, but that's about it
Frawley: The weight of our defense is starting to creep up on the old man imo. A couple of soft frees against him and he looked out of it.
Burgers: Played well, hard to criticise his efforts
Birchall: Looked good, but injured. I don't know if we'll see him again
Sicily: Got hard done by early, then never impacted the same. Smooth as always with ball, but clearly didn't want to enter congestion because of the target on him.

Hard game to watch bar the first quarter.
Good write up.
- Very happy to see Wingard gaining some confidence.
- Nash will be ok eventually, but he really is lost and repeatedly reads the play poorly. He doesn’t deserve a belting though compared to the other mistakes being made by our guys. Still, it’s not enough to be a defensive forward. “Bringing the ball to ground” is rubbish - we need goals or marks in fwd 50, in that order.
- Bad kicks and handballs falling at our own guys feet. Really poor skills - maybe they are lazy or tired ? Not sure... This was our #1 failing last night.
- My heart was bleeding for Worpel. Such a 100% player all year and tonight was special. Well done.

- One thing that caught me the most though from watching at the ground, we had a lot of trouble getting the ball out of defensive 50. North regularly took marks from our full back clearing kicks. And if they didnt mark it they still brought it out to their own players through the back of each and every pack. I’m not sure if that was a bad structure thing, but it cost us a lot of goals.

And i’m Supremely sorry we didnt get to shut up the 4 north spuds in front of me. Loud mouth, young punk drunks. but then again, they are north fans, so they are sick of being perpetual minnow losers.

I don't think I can read autopsy threads after a loss any more, the amount of whiny kneejerking from people who can't, or won't, see the bigger picture is astonishing and eye-rolling in equal measures. People were saying the exact and precise same things in 05 and 06 and then again in 09 and 10, and how did that work out for us? We are on another journey back to contention, it takes time, it doesn't happen at the click of a finger. Not even Clarko can do that.

I'm just wondering what was the point in producing a win over Geelong and then losing the next 2 games when we could have won them? I'm not criticising Clarko by any stretch, but it seems he can still conjure wins against good sides but can't do it against the lesser teams. Very confused right now.
Clarko is after a few scalps and he's got some good ones. He'll use these wins as motivation during pre-season.

I have a feeling Birch will be fine. Even if it is a hammy, I reckon he can find a spot in our list next year if he wants to play on, has been great the past 2 weeks he's played, and was probably our third best player in the first half. I think we all expected him to have a few fitness bumps after over 2 years of AFL injuries, and he doesn't look to have lost his skill at all. If he can find fitness again in the off-season, I'm calling Birchall as captain 2020, with Worpel and Gunston as Vices. I might be a little tipsy at the moment, but I feel like if he wasn't injured in 2017, Clarko would have made him skipper this year ahead of Stratton.
Not sure about the captain bit, but agree with the rest

2nd highest clearances of all time for Hawthorn tonight by Worpel.
Oops! Turns out I was looking at the clangers list. Turns out his effort last night puts him on =15th on the all time clearances list for Hawthorn.

Lots of positives last night, I thought, despite the fact that North Melbourne wrested momentum from us and won the match.

Positives:

C. Wingard and T. Scully. Have made huge strides in their fitness and will be even more potent after a proper pre-season. Around the ball last night, Wingard did some stuff I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. Incredible.

M. Lewis and J. Worpel. Both oozing with talent and still cubs. If we didn’t have Mitchell coming back, you’d have to say that Worpel would be a good Brownlow prospect for 2021.

J. Gunston. Such a gifted footballer. Can’t recall if we’ve got him locked away for another couple of years. If not, I’d be worried about him defecting to his family club, Essendon.

S. Burgoyne. Evergreen. Strong in the clinches. Walks between the raindrops. Has two more years in that rig of his. We won’t win another flag without him.

G. Birchall. Don’t understand why some people are writing him off. Give his body time to re-adjust to the rigours of the game. Still a weapon. Scrimshaw a ready-made clone who will only benefit from being on the battlefield with him.

Last edited:
Once again Sicily blows another game for us. For christ sake my Aunty has more body muscle than him but he wants break tackles and be the hero. Hardwick runs rings around him as the ultimate team player and gutsy defender.
JOM was a walking clangerfest, and for the 10th time Nash was a passenger.
Why do we have Mitch,TOB,Gunston and Nash in the same forward line, WAY too tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith's helping out in a role that he's not great at(impey's). Shouldn't be anywhere near our defensive arc.
No Smith is just Smith. Statton is being asked to play tall. Shiela hard, Breust is giving up and Gunston for his so called blinder last night (i disagree) is just going through motions 9/10 weeks.

How these guys learnt from Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell etc and can continue to give us F All when we need them, whilst Worpell and other youngsters bleeed for us is a two year long issue that blows my mind.

Smith was ok when things were going our way, But 100% agree

McEvoy obviously after his thumb struggled. Worpel had a great game but Cunnington had a shocker for the first 90 minutes and worked back into the game.

Didn’t Cunnington turn the game wit his liiegal attack on big boys hand? Not even a 50 for umpires hot on Sicily
Is there a get Sicily poster in the umps room at marvel?

As I’ve said for two years our leaders are so disappointing that it’s really alarming.

Shoot me down but trade the one with the most currency Gunston.

So gutted these guys have so often shown such little effort.

The stripping out and complete rebuilding of a premiership list is always going to take time and attract teething problems.

Worpel looks a really good pick up, and it should inspire the Hawks to hit a couple more drafts very hard, rather than focusing too heavily on the trade market. The next ruckman, and some young KPP talent would be high on the current list.

I reckon Clarko is still the best in the biz, and couldn't get much more out of the list than he's been getting this year.

Need to get Sicily playing the role he was playing in first half of the year.
He has basically been playing negating roles on the bigs the last few weeks and his attacking out put has disappear.

That would mean Brand comes in or O’ Brien goes back. But that would mean someone like Stratton would have to make way
Sicily wasnt to bad, when you play on the edge like sicily does you have to expect a few outings when a few of the calls go against you, i actually reckon he was heeps better than frawley who seemed to be channeling "Mick Gayfer" for most of the night.

I reckon Shaw can coach. Hated that game but if I was a Roos supporter I’d be pretty happy with him because he brought a great plan to defeat Hawthorn

Lots of our senior players were pretty ordinary

Worpel and Lewis were both excellent. Lewis’ first quarter made me get very excited for his future at Hawthorn

How much longer can Frawley play for? Seriously when a side has at least 2 tall fwds we are screwed. Way too slow and fumbles more often than not. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone to replace him...
Scully gets into good position but butchers kicks like you can’t believe.
Birchall- end it now please even though he played great when out there these past few weeks.
Hendo mightn’t make it in 2020 as good as he’s been this year.
Smith could still be ok with a better midfield if he’s played off hbf..
Nash - what’s the point of having him there for his speed and pressure when the opposition he’s there to do that to can still burn him off? And he offers nil else
Poppy’s pressure and workrate is still immense but just doesn’t ever get to use the footy anymore
Bruest/Gunston will be dangerous when we are winning the midfield battle - they need quick ball movement and inside 50 delivery.
It’s a worry that we still play through Burgoyne so much but he kind of played the role we’d like Scrimshaw to play I guess in the future.
Stratton is still a key defender for us even if he got well beaten by Wood after qtr time

We are on the edge or on the cusp .. i still back Clarko to find the right balance again though.
^^^ Massive lolzas at this ridiculous post
500 posts since 2010 says a lot.
Haha post to year ratios. Seriously who gives a shit besides BF warriors?
All pretty valid points.. still some real
worries with our list.. and I don’t think recruiting Patton and Coniglio fixes all of them
Makes sense you liked his post and replied with an equally foolish post.
The perfect game to show why everyone is tradable this offseason besides Sicily, Hardwick, o'meara, Lewis, worpel and Wingard.
TOM up for grabs too?

I don't think I can read autopsy threads after a loss any more, the amount of whiny kneejerking from people who can't, or won't, see the bigger picture is astonishing and eye-rolling in equal measures.

So you've enjoyed watching the Hawks blow game after game they were in positions to win? I think it's been a difficult year to watch and people have reached the frustration point. This is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how much they differ from others. The bigger picture is all very well, but in the interim we have to watch the Hawks throw away game after game, and let's face it, the present is all we have to deal with right now. This thread is about the match against the Roos, not what life will be like in 2020 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back