Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

As I’ve said for two years our leaders are so disappointing that it’s really alarming.

Shoot me down but trade the one with the most currency Gunston.

So gutted these guys have so often shown such little effort.
I'm willing to give Gunners a pass because it's only been one ordinary year where a limited preseason has clearly had an effect.

Breust though, for the first time ever I'm losing paitence with. I hope he is injured, because if he isn't, he's cooked.

No Smith is just Smith. Statton is being asked to play tall. Shiela hard, Breust is giving up and Gunston for his so called blinder last night (i disagree) is just going through motions 9/10 weeks.

How these guys learnt from Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell etc and can continue to give us F All when we need them, whilst Worpell and other youngsters bleeed for us is a two year long issue that blows my mind.

Yeah Gunston didn't have a blinder at all. I agree.

Kicked two amazing sausages and was unsighted for the rest.

Gunston and Breust will both benefit with a better structured forward-line; ie Patton coming in and Lewis improving on his fitness next year and playing a more traditional centre half forward role, plus a vastly superior midfield with Mitchell back and one other player coming in will see a significant increase in output from them.

In 2017 Gunston was played out of position and then found form again. Trading him or Breust is a dumb list management strategy. It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of getting Patton and Coniglio!

Gunston and Breust will both benefit with a better structured forward-line; ie Patton coming in and Lewis improving on his fitness next year and playing a more traditional centre half forward role, plus a vastly superior midfield with Mitchell back and one other player coming in will see a significant increase in output from them.

In 2017 Gunston was played out of position and then found form again. Trading him or Breust is a dumb list management strategy. It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of getting Patton and Coniglio!
The best thing for our team is to play Gunston in the forward line. His best games have come from there. His late action last night was from the forward line ( at least i recall him starting after one goal from the fwd line ).

Watch Clarko's presser. Poor bloke looks like he's done 10 rounds in the ring. This season has worn him. Boats will be burned.

It has to happen though, doesn't it?

I reckon Shaw can coach. Hated that game but if I was a Roos supporter I’d be pretty happy with him because he brought a great plan to defeat Hawthorn

Lots of our senior players were pretty ordinary

Worpel and Lewis were both excellent. Lewis’ first quarter made me get very excited for his future at Hawthorn

Positioning at the contest was wayy better than ours, anything spilled was snaffled up

We wont get more in return for trading gunners or punky than they are worth to us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With mitchell out and reliance on mcevoys form last night is the late season fade out I was honestly expecting. So the geelong west coast pies gws games were a pleasant surprise for me

On to 2020 and a burning off season

Need to cut the old guys, can't make a stand, I know the game style and personal is different, but this is where good players stand up, we ain't got many standing up.

Why do we continually bomb it long to Poppy who is almost always having to beat 2 defenders?

Why was Liam Shiels starting across half forward when Cunnington and Higgins were able to turn the game for them in Q2?

Why does Tim O'Brien manage to get his hands to everything, but never complete a mark?

Why cant we hit basic handballs under pressure anymore?

Why cant Scully or Smith lay a tackle?

We blitzed Geelong by going run and gun through the corridor, even after Impey had gone down. Where was that last night?

Really disappointing considering the start we had.

Theres a lot of talk about not wanting to win to get the best pick we can, but we still need to sell this club/group to guys like Coniglio who by all reports are up in the air. Efforts like last night on the Friday night stage do not do our "destination club" tag any favours.

Kudos to Worpel who is our second best midfielder and to Mitch Lewis who looked serious early. Birch looked vintage before doing his string.

Like most big men, Mitchell Lewis needs another season to get his tank right. So not.worried about him not influencing games late.

Worpel is better than O'Meara.

Wingaurd is proving me wrong somewhat.

It's already happening.

Yep, Clarkson has never been afraid to make the hard decisions for the benefit of the list.

I see a few Hawks fans are a bit puzzled by what's going on at the moment, but I reckon the coach is in full development mode right now, and if that sacrifices the odd win, due to the odd match up here & there, then so be it. I reckon it's the correct path at this stage of proceedings.

You'll be alright, some of the fans just need to temper expectations for a couple of years, and not get sucked in by ridiculous media hype.

The Hawks are a very interesting case study right now, from the outside footy purists perspective. I think you're going down a more realistic path than Geelong.

Lewis is now first in the AFL in contested marks. :thumbsu:

Lewis 2.4
Lynch 2.3
McKay 2.3
Naughton 2.2
McEvoy 2.1

How good will Lewis potentially be with improved fitness and a full pre-season or two under his belt. I expect to see him play a more traditional centre half forward role next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back