Autopsy Round 21, 2022: Hawks dim the Sims

Remove this Banner Ad

I have only watched the first half (thanks to the recommendations of everybody on here about avoiding the second half) but Kosi was 2 dropped marks away from ripping the game to absolute shreds from what I saw.

His defensive effort when he was caught two on 1 during the second quarter to win the ball back for us was absolutely outstanding.

If he'd held a couple more grabs he could have had 3 goals before half time easily.

I know many on here are tempering their expectations of him, but he's reminding me a lot of Mitch Lewis with his trajectory at the moment.

Mitch went backwards after his breakout season. Kosi could still finish this season with 20 goals after being asked to play as a ruck/fwd for the first time ever. Coming off a shoulder reco last summer as well. There is SOMETHING there with him.

Mitch went backwards after his breakout season.
If anything he plateaued but he didn’t go backwards. He had a shoulder reconstruction and struggled to find confidence in his body for much of 2020, but he was still had his moments.
Then in 2021 he was tracking well but got KO’d at training.

Kosi hasn’t had the injuries or setbacks, but has had plenty of underwhelming games and missed opportunities. His dropping of marks seems to frustrate most onlookers.

Glad we held on and got the win for Mcevoy. It wasn’t a great finish but these are the games we should be winning against ordinary sides on the road and for 3 quarters we outplayed them.

Most pleasing was the young midfielders starting to really gel: Newcombe is closing in on Sicily as our best player. Once he gets a 4 quarter engine the sky is the limit.

Ward was great for 3 quarters. Has found his groove now. Some really classy ball use today.

Moore is a midfielder. In his 50th game he’s ready to go to another level.

Maginness’ best game. His ball use is still an issue but he neutralised an absolute gun player in Miller today.

Gunston is just a champ. Need to keep him for 2 more years.

Down back Hardwick did a great job on Rankine, and Jeka beat Chol and did some nice things. Could be another key defensive option.

As for GC, they are a joke of a football club. We need to prise Hollands out of there before he wastes his career. Looks a jet.

That’s probably our last win for the year, so glad we got it. 8 wins is about what I could have realistically hoped for at the start of the season.
Really need to keep Gunston and Breust for their leadership. Hope they stay.

If anything he plateaued but he didn’t go backwards. He had a shoulder reconstruction and struggled to find confidence in his body for much of 2020, but he was still had his moments.
Then in 2021 he was tracking well but got KO’d at training.

Kosi hasn’t had the injuries or setbacks, but has had plenty of underwhelming games and missed opportunities. His dropping of marks seems to frustrate most onlookers.

Backwards might be a tough call. Plateaued is a better explanation.

I'm still giving Kosi the benefit of the doubt. Had his own shoulder surgery to overcome. Has had a role change due to the return of Gunston.

His flaws have glaringly obvious this season, however I find many on this board are quick to ignore his good moments. He's still young and finding his feet in a new position in a rebuilding side. I'm giving him another pre-season before claiming that he isn't a massive part of the future of this side.

GC probably should've won that game but it was a super important win

Throughout this year we've struggled when the momentum doesn't go our way so to hold on will hopefully be character building

But even more important was how young this side was. Winning with DGB, Serong, Butler, Ward, CMac, Finn all in the team vs a side playing for their last chance at finals is a great result, even if the last half was pretty flat

OMG! Kane Cornes says positive things about Hawthorn. Who would believe it??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved what we did for most the arvo. Thought we were great in the contest and moved the ball really well for the best part of 3 quarters.

Hated the last quarter though, to only kick 1 point to the scoring end was a diabolical way to close out that match. Should have been wining by 5-6 goals with how it was positioned after 3 quarters.

All in All positive afternoon though, expected the Suns to get over the line before the game.

Kossie is a small forwards dream. Very rarely out marked, crashes plenty of packs, chases, tackles and drops more than he marks.

His work rate often sets up goals for others. It's class and craft he lacks.
Well our small forwards must have been busy dreaming then because Kosi's presence hasn't caused a spike in their performances this week nor last.

We can't keep selling downsides of players as features of their game. If Kosi can't start taking marks or learn to play with Lewis in the side, he's not going to be worth persevering with.

Only just watched the replay; not a game for the highlights reel that's for sure

Love that we are starting to clamp down better when the game isn't going our way, and not conceding too many points

Compare the result to the last time we played the Suns and it was almost chalk and cheese

Every week you can see improvement across the board

I think it’s no surprise how good our backline was in the fourth (and with previous matches) as it was a massive strength under Clarko towards the end. I think it’s allowed Mitchell to focus more on the attacking footy that we saw almost immediately at the start of the year.

Still not perfect, but when it executes, hot damn does it look exciting. Just need to get it all in four quarters and we we will start making strides.

Also appreciate that the Fox commentators are highlighting Finn’s tagging role in each match. It’s certainly been a key aspect that’s propelled our games.

Gratz to Big Boy on 250!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back