Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Small forwards didn’t work hard enough in my opinion. Been drinking a bit too much of their own bath water I think. Love their flair but champions are made when you put in super hard when things aren’t going well. I would like to see how many tackles they laid today, not many I feel

Small forwards have been really good since round 7 but they didn’t do enough today. Ginni and CMac really struggled to apply defensive pressure. Watson was chasing hard but hard to impact with 4 touches. Moorey the only one that gets a pass, but he had to deal with Himmelberg.

Another game and more learnt (I hope).
Daysie hasn’t learnt how to shake a hard tag, he’ll get there though.
It was Hogan and Whitfield that won it for them, can’t work why we let Whitfield do what he wanted all day.
Newk and Meek battled hard but they needed support. Wiz had a shocker today, but that’s ok too. He’s a kid.
And yeah, we need a gorilla defender. Whether that’s Blanck, Barass or whoever…we need one.

Why take Dear off? Was he injured? Really DUMB if not so as thought he was our only forward actually going for marks and bringing it to ground. Some really poor efforts from some players today and should never lose a game with a seven goal lead going into the last quarter. Weddell was the only one trying to move the ball quickly but sadly we stopped back to side ways backwards and slow play which was reminded me of the Port game. Day should be Captain next year.

I rate Wardy, but he was terrible today. CJ is just below average at just about everything. I don’t care that he can run, he constantly fumbles and takes poor options. Is a Sam favourite though, so will stay in.

CJ has had 11 games to get up to pace, and he still looks way off it.

Don’t let the scoreboard fool you. GWS controlled large parts of those first three quarters. They should have reduced the lead a lot more in the third we scored some late goals that flattered us.

We left plenty out there in third that we should have hit.

Newk streaming inside 50 with no one near him to miss completely was unacceptable.

Every goddamn goal they kicked in the last was from turnovers on our half forward flank. Mitchell NEEDED to get the message out to them to, under no circumstance, kick the ball to a contest on our 50m line. Move it around until you can get deeper. Just a complete collapse.
It was so frustrating that we chipped it to spots we wouldn't score from. Just needed to get it deep to a stoppage then we could lock it in the forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two games interstate in a row hasn’t been friendly and we will be playing Carlton next week after a days less break. Fresh legs needed next week so Harry and Frenchy in I think. Maybe we will also go the tag. Watch Saad have 40 next week.

Once again showing you can't play Gunner and Breust at the same time. Both have their role and play it well but that game changed the second we brought Breust on and they just started running out of the backline at will.

Quiet game from Ginni and Wizard after half time really hurt.
Eh em…..

Didn’t see either of these blokes chasing their opponents out of our forward line in the last term.

Gunston played on a KPD all game. His opponent wasn’t running and carrying in the last.

CJ is being gifted games.
Ward can have another spell.
Breust and Gunston are witches hats when it hits the ground.
Run the blues off their feet next week. Bring in Morro, McKenzie, Finn. Maybe Skaife as well.

I'd be bringing in serong to free up Weddle. Then either McKenzie and or maginess/ Morrison.

Breust, ward and or cj maybe out. Depends on how gunners recovers as well. Sammy may even feel dear needs a spell from the pressure. Does Skaife get a go. Not sure he is ready. Bhh watchers, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disappointing to lose that one.
Plenty of positives. D'Ambrosio is a serious injection of class.

Bruest and Gunston probably need to be subbing for each other. Having a Finn, Cam Mackenzie or Morrison as sub to bring some pressure in a tight game like this would have been a wiser move considering how tired the team must be after winning 8/10 or whatever it was.

Sicily does look a little compromised down back as well and having Serong in the team would have allowed Mitchell to put him forward to win us the game earlier.

Imo this was lost at selection. The boys are tired and can't carry the veterans against a top 4 side. Gunston a shout out for slotting 4. Some of our shots on goal let us down.

Two posters from Meek and Moore have effectively cost us the game.

View attachment 2068706
Us winning all 3 against Blues, Tigers and North (W,W,W)

I have GWS winning against Fremantle but losing against Brisbane and the Bulldogs (L,W,L). If you’ve been following along, none of these results would be surprising.

You’ve done well to bump our percentage up by 7% and get GWS down below us. I wish I could live in that world.

They wouldn't be surprising but the results haven't been going out way so far.

Put the superstition aside; Dogs and Lions are the best two teams in it and they’ll be playing on their home decks.

Giants beat one of them on the run to the finals then they deserve to be there.

We also have the possibility of nabbing Carlton’s spot if we’re good enough, which has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

All week - heck, the last fortnight, almost everybody on this board is saying ‘we can afford to drop one and still make finals’. Then we drop one and suddenly it’s goodnight? Come on, crazy season got more crazy in store for sure.
Yep.

Spot on.

Three wins from the last three games should see us sneak in.

Had we won today and nailed the last 3 games we would definitely make it.

As it stands we probably still get in with a 14/9 record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back