Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Ward has to go out. Mackenzie is an upgrade on him marginally. Macguiness offers close to nothing beyond tagging. Unless you want that he shouldn’t be named in the squad ever. I dont see the potential in Serong at all. I much prefer Seamus Mitchell. Not sure why he’s been dropped actually.

Because through my eyes, the last couple of times he played, he made some pretty terrible execution errors that were enough for him be dropped to VFL alone. It aligns with what they seem to be looking for from him in the last VFL report, where they mentioned he is making the right decisions but is making a few execution errors. Surprising form really, as I recall when he debuted I thought he was a really nice user.

Well that was painful. Season over in a quarter. We were never going to win the flag but the disappointing thing is that it’s made our final three games dead rubbers. Next week was set up to be a huge game but there truth is we can’t make finals now. It’s mathematically possible but it would involve Carlton losing to west coast and stkilda which ain’t going to happen.
How has it made our final 3 dead rubbers? Win them all and we likely make finals

What’s nonsense? That it’s unlikely Carlton will lose to West Coast or StKilda?
Just to break it down for everyone.
2 ways to make the 8 from here.

1. Beat Carlton, obviously beat Tigers and North. Hope Saints beat Carlton at Marvel. Reckon that is a 50/50. Most likely of 2 options.
Saints are a dangerous proposition at the moment.

2. Win all 3 as above and GWS lose all 3 v Lions, Freo and Dogs.

Less likely but not out of the question.

Out of our hands but well and truly still alive.

Ward was highly rated as a junior because he was consistent and had endurance as an inside mid, racking up the possessions.

He hasn't shown to be a particularly skillful user in his outside role at AFL level, so whilst he runs out the game you have to question the point of an average/unathletic user of the ball. Needs to progress to the middle or develop some weapons.

Morrison should be ahead in his current role but perhaps the papers are stamped.
In hindsight Harry has had a pretty rough trot from Sam this year.

He's been in very good form at Box Hill and decent to good form when selected as a substitute yet Ward / CJ have been selected ahead of him most weeks and they have not set the world on fire at all.

Like you say his papers must be stamped but given we are so close to making the finals I feel like he should be picked next week to give us every opportunity make that final spot.

1. Beat Carlton, obviously beat Tigers and North. Hope Saints beat Carlton at Marvel. Reckon that is a 50/50. Most likely of 2 options.

And if any team would pull of an unlikely loss to the Saints in the final round to kill their chances of making the finals and breaking their supporters hearts (yet again) the Blues are the side to do it!

3. Fremantle lose three of their last four (probably the most likely)

Essendon A
Geelong H
GWS A
Port H

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is. Listen misery guts, if we win our final 3 and miss finals I’ll change my username to anything of your choice. No quid pro quo from you, but I will probably bring it up

Not miserable, that’s just the reality. I’m not interested in you changing your username. I have no idea who you are.

Didn't think it was a bad game from us. Led for most of it. Day very quiet. Same with Chol (hope that doesn't get taken as racist 😅)

Learn the lessons and move on to next week. Carlton very beatable without Cerra and a questionable Curnow.

Boys must be shattered and I feel for them.

They did an amazing amount of work and they need to feel it wasn’t wasted.

We win that game, the Port game and the Collingwood game and we are on top of the ladder.

Thanks for the ride Hawks.

Now let’s go for the last 3 weeks of the year!

Did you read Jim Prideaux’s scnerarios for us to make 8th spot? To say that is 50-50 is ********.

You’re drunk and quoting the wrong person to answer to.

I would rather this scenario as 50/50.

This
View attachment 2068778
This
View attachment 2068779
This
View attachment 2068780
This
View attachment 2068781
This

View attachment 2068782

And this
View attachment 2068783

=

View attachment 2068784

Maybe Lions beat Giants by more, maybe GWS lose to Dogs by less, maybe we beat North by more, who knows. We will see. However contrary to your suggestions, it’s possible. I’d even go as far to say that it’s 50/50.

I’ll leave it there.

The disappointment will linger for sure about what might have been (port and giants games) but at the start of the season I had us at 8-10 wins and we have eclipsed that so we move on.

This is how I feel. Giving up big leads is the thing that sits in your guys though. It shows a lack of focus and inability to adjust to the opposition which is a big concern. You don’t want to be that team that can lose from any position.

Weddle very good moving forward but terrible defensively.. almost like he’s being played out of position so CJ can stay in the team.
Yup. To me, the future looks like: 1) add a physically strong defender and move Weddle to wing to replace Jiath; 2) McKenzie in for Ward; 3) Gunston & Breust retire, to give young players more opportunities. This sets up for a 2025 where we make finals without truly challenging, but hopefully creates a window for a few years after that.

Sicily barely holding it together today. If we lose next week, straight to operating theater.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back