Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we look tougher in the darker guernsey.

Anyone got footage of the so called Harley suspension worthy tackle?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sooner it’s gone the better. That white outline of the wings and eagle I can’t live with.

The old school eagle brings back memories. But piss the white off.

Talking about tim kelly is like the HoneyBadger35 bat signal.
Is he the hero we need, or just what we deserve?

Best thing about Ginbeys game today was just how well he read the play. A fair few times I saw him basically sprinting into position knowing where the ball was going next. Only player ive seen be able to read the play that well up the ground in the AFL at the moment is Tom Stewart.

Im happy to leave Ginbey at HB for rest of his career if this is the impact he can have in that spot. Not every top 10 pick has to be a midfielder. A All Australian half back at pick 9 is just fine with me
Hodge went #1, just quietly.

453411487_1023008172529599_2533958383447735263_n.jpg

Dont attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetance. They were horrendous lastnight and yea, the three bs 50s went against us but overall I dont think it was biased, just very ordinary. The last quarter was a great game of footy and partly because the maggots put the whistle away.
Fair call. I'll take off the blue and gold glasses.

What a rollercoaster of emotions it is being a West Coast supporter… the game thread (and mostly my emotional commenting sums it up). I get excited for the game every week. I sit down and watch every single game. To see the boys play the way they did was so inspiring.

The supporters rallying around the boys at the end in the rooms was a bloody awesome sight. Sore and exhausted bodies wearing massive smiles and pure joy. It was so good to see. Extremely wholesome moment.

I’ve been peppered with texts from mates who want to have a dig, it’s only Gold Coast, ohhh three wins in a year and whatever other dribble they can think of. No, it’s far more than that. The club and the boys have been through a lot and desperately need that morale booster. It’s a win we should all be very proud of, it is far deeper than simply outscoring the opposition. Those sooking about the group selfie after the game - do these nuffies realise that Sam Mitchell played and coached at West Coast as well? If anything there would be a lot of mutual respect for him and a list of similar age profile… grow up, it’s exciting. Standard tall poppy syndrome in this country.

It has been years since we’ve seen this team be able to band together, come from behind and run over the opposition. Years since we’ve seen them literally bash an opponent into submission and seal it. Dislocated fingers, corkies and head knocks.. few sore bodies this morning I’d imagine! Unbelievable to see - when the game was hot, the boys responded and laid out some massive hits. Can’t believe I’m saying it, but we wanted it more.

We won the midfield battle whilst being smoked in the ruck. Gold Coast’s midfield are no slouches, so this is an achievement in itself.

We were without Barrass, and then lost Edwards early. It looked like Mac Andrew and Ben King were going to get ahold of us and kick it out of reach. The coaching performance from Schofield last night was excellent. He really showed his tactical ability in the second half to make adjustments and pull the game back into reach. We aren’t blessed with a huge amount of polish at the moment, and a lot of the game was frustrating but jeez, the ability to do what he could with what resources he had was excellent.

How good were the kids! GINBEY, Hough, Reid, J Williams, Johnston, Maric, Dewar, Hall showed some glimpses and Trew unfortunately didn’t get a lot of it but still did some good things with ball in hand. We had a real insight of how our club is going to look moving forward and it’s very exciting. We are one good draft away from having a really competitive list of young guys. Hopefully we can capitalise this year, get a good pick(s) for Barrass (looking more and more likely by the day) and get this thing moving. After all this… we still have guys in the WAFL like Archer who we’re excited to see. We’re looking OK. Just need to develop develop develop.

The retro song and kit was absolutely beautiful. ****ing love it - lets finish off strong for the remainder of the year.

+

Ginbey - how good does he look playing permanent back line. A Luke Hodge comparison was thrown around last night - Hodge was an absolute champion in his own right. I can see Ginbey becoming a left footed general for us back in defence, where his size, athleticism and versatility allows him to play 1-1 when required, win contests, use the footy well deep in defence and rebound off half back. He’s been lucky enough to learn from the best of the best - Barrass in the contest, McGovern for his ability to read the play, Hurn for his ability to rebound the footy and guys like Cole, Duggan and Hunt who have plenty of experience to pass on. Best game of his short career last night. Couldn’t be happier with how he looks there.

Waterman - he is just amazing. What a flipping player. Supremely reliable in front of goals, will stick his hands up and mark everything. Works unbelievably hard. 25 years old and will be here for our next finals push. We need to do everything we can to keep him, to lose him would be a disaster. If Oscar goes down, we never have to worry with Jakey up and about.

Reid + Yeo - unbelievable duo we have here. There’s the reason why we signed Yeo for so long. Watching these two move the same way through contests, burst away and give each other the 1-2 is just amazing. Yeo lifted massively and punched his way through everything when we needed to win the footy. Reid never once shied away from a contest. Gave away a lot of frees, but he will learn and smarten up as time goes on. No point trying to round that up, he’s truly a superstar. Uses the footy well, gives us that proper campaigner edge that we’ve missed for so so long. Every other team hates him with a passion - and the best bit, the purple flogs down in Cockburn will forever be jealous.

Johnston - another serious find. Had to go back and read his draft write-ups, it’s all correct. Smooth mover, classy with ball in hand. Eight touches in the third quarter when the game was on the line. This is massive for a young bloke. As he puts some size onto his frame and grows to AFL speed he will be good for us. Stick with him.

J Williams - what a find. For a big bloke he shows so much polish with the ball in hand. Smooth mover, went really well in the ruck and he looks like another midfielder when he’s on. Played up forward, swung down back and was effective everywhere he played. Kicked a great goal - one thing I noticed was the flick of the ball in his hands to position it for the check side. That’s a natural footballer right there. He has a good turn of pace and exceptional skills. Kicked a beauty to Jake Waterman on the lead in the third. When I was growing up through the system, the particular colts side I played for had a massive focus on finding athletes and teaching them footy skills. To have a natural footballer at his size is a recipe for success.

Darling - best game of the year for him. I’ve been a critic but it was a vintage JD performance, was amazing to see the massive smile on his face heading into the rooms after the game. Absolute champion performance last night, if he can produce that for us there’s no reason to move him on. If he slotted that goal or two that he missed it would have been a huge one.

Dewar - he must be left in the side for the remainder of the year. He provides us x-factor, he’s fast, has good skills and kicked two goals in the third quarter when the game was in danger of running away from them. His vision is excellent and positions himself for success. As he continues to grow, develop and become accustomed to AFL, he’s going to be very handy for us. Rewatching his highlights, he’s got a great set shot routine and just looks reliable with ball in hand.

Maric - skills, decision making and movement is elite. I cannot believe he is only 19 still. 196cm and has the ability to take a good contested mark, but also plays a lot smaller than his size. Lock him in, he’s an important piece for us.

Gov - turned it up in the second half when we need him the most. Some clutch marks and ball use as usual. Mr Reliable.

Hall - couple of those contests where he ducked, weaved and dealt a couple of don’t argues were Harley like. He looks very composed through the contest and he needs to stay in the side.

Duggan - criticised him during the game, but really redeemed himself and took the game on. Kicked an amazing goal at the end. Never stopped working at it, going hard at every contest. Good stuff.

Trew - didn’t get a lot of the footy, but I think it was always going to be hard when you’re getting pummelled in the ruck and have ball dominant guys like Reid, Yeo and Kelly turning it on. I thought that goal he kicked was excellent and he used the ball really well elsewhere, including that ripper of a handball to Ryan for the late goal. He showed vision, clean hands (apart from that shocker where he ate shit on the 50) and I think he’s definitely worth persisting with.

No other serious injuries. You’re not playing hard footy if you aren’t popping a couple of fingers mid game and driving home afterwards with a decent corky. Great stuff.

Eagles board - the guys that are here week in week out. Passionate about footy. Emotional but at the end we can all talk through it for the remainder of the week until we can do it all over again. Love it.

Love to see Freo fans still salty, it just kills them to see us get a decent win. They know we won't be down forever. Bunch of tossers.

-

Cripps - maybe a little harsh but for most of the game he was extremely frustrating. Kicked a great goal at the end but had some poor moments throughout.

B Williams - he got a touch up in the ruck, the game plan was never to rove his ruck work. Unfortunately just got monstered and struggled to contribute. More a negative about our ruck situation than Bailey in general, he never stood a chance unfortunately.

General negative - a lot of those quick, slam it on the boot, lollipop kicks where guys have a second or two to lower the eyes and at least deliver something we can work with.

Injury to Harry not ideal but hopefully he can bounce back after his week off and lead into a strong pre season.

Time to watch the remainder of the Beagles, and for once it’s not being streamed on a calculator.

Last edited:
Kelly at hff from round 1 next year imo.
Nah, his strength is reading the ball in the ruck contest and getting first hands on it..if he then gives the handball he is a great player. But as soon as he decides to kick it is a 75% chamce of a turn over. HFF must have good kicking skills and Kellys get worse with every game. Stay inside and only give HBs please Tim.

Nah, his strength is reading the ball in the ruck contest and getting first hands on it..if he then gives the handball he is a great player. But as soon as he decides to kick it is a 75% chamce of a turn over. HFF must have good kicking skills and Kellys get worse with every game. Stay inside and only give HBs please Tim.
We need to take somebody out though. Reid stays, and Yeo is better than Kelly in there.
Else we can't play guys like Hewett, Hall, Trew etc in there for any reasonable amount of time

He hunts the ball. How can he not be number 3 for pressure acts when you are always chasing after the football? Macrae is very high up in defensive stats too over the last 3 seasons but most know thats because he is chasing the football and so is in that side of the contest. In reality though Doggies know that despite the stats saying that, Libba is a better team player, defensive player and therefore plays in the midfield ahead of Macrae despite the fact Macrae gets more ball. Its the exact same situation we are dealing with. Kellys issue though is the last part. He doesnt stick tackles and he does not stop his opponents from moving the ball on within that pressure act. Its also a singular pressure act also. He doesnt follow up. Its a one and done scenario

He doesnt make space for others, he isnt blocking and 100% he is not helping Harley Reid get the ball. Do you want 31 possessions from Tim Kelly or do you want someone who helps Harley Reid go from 17 possessions a game to 25?

I know which one I want
The Priddis syndrome

Company flight down to Leeuwim estate for the day.

Table next to us, a few hours in, belted on our table, girls on the other table are amazing and a goofy award gangly guy comes in.

Hang on sec, it can't be

Mclovin

Look at the table harder with wine coloured goggles.

Hang on a sec.

It's shuey

Best leave the boys alone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not aimed at shuey and mclovin

And there is no right or wrong.

Obviously they are very close.

Does fresh external appointments break allegiances?

Whatever gets the best result.

Not aimed at shuey and mclovin

And there is no right or wrong.

Obviously they are very close.

Does fresh external appointments break allegiances?

Whatever gets the best result.
Before considering engaging with Gov & Shuey, just remember that they don't know you or love you as much as you do them...and they are good friends with Matt Priddis:cool:
*hope you're having a good arvo, food looks great:thumbsu:

My next post was going to say, lets put Ryan Maric in defense til end of year and see what happens. Put him in the Rotham role lets see what occurs
100% this .

We don't use our wings . They are more there to guard space and help in defence .

We don't generate many scores from defence using the wings .

We have been creating scores from stoppage and guys like yeo and Reid straight line into our forwards.

Maric being behind the ball means we can get the ball in his hands by switching it to him or have him kick out .

He would be close to our best kick in the team and doubling his kicks per game would help our scoring from defensive 50

You're not wrong, but I think there's some nuance there you gloss over. None of us want players doing their bit to get recalled and then getting dropped after a single game back. If we rode the ups and downs of individual performances half the team would change from week to week. I know you know this already, so maybe you were having a subtle dig at someone and I missed it.

I think the fact that Schofield dropped Darling, and then decided that he liked what was shown in the WAFL enough to bring him back in, is very likely related to JD's performance last night. He hasn't played a game like that since... I dunno, 2018? Maybe that's a coincidence, I don't know. Or maybe he also realised the fabric of space time didn't rip apart when he got dropped and came back feeling less stressed about it all, and simultaneously aware that he can't take his spot for granted.

All I know is that I've been very critical of Darling - I think rightly so - and lo and behold after he finally gets dropped and recalled we get a chance see the guy we've been missing for like 5 years, even if that didn't come straight away.
Thought darling should have been dropped years ago - he’s a confidence player - he goes down, beats up on some wafl players, gets his tail up and off he goes.

Hall always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, or close enough to have had effect if a team mate wasnt there

Not sure if notice-able on tv but at the ground i was thrilled how quick he picked up the flight of the ball in the air, getting himself into the best position quicker than his opponent/s, and then composed navigating through a pressure situation. Glimpses ❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back