Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Amongst the rubble

Darcy Cameron has arrived big time
Took Brodie to the cleaners a few times
Great season
I can’t think of anyone else that has gone forwards significantly from 23
Nick down tonight but superb year

Cameron and Cox had 10 contested marks between them.

Grundy didn't take a single mark.

Except when we did exactly the same thing against North Melbourne, which got us the win in that game. Tonight was the square up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
when are we getting the square up free 20 out in front of goal at a critical moment in the game for not giving the ball directly back to the ump?

Cox was deliberate and dumb. Moore’s one wasn’t, Cameron was right nearby.

There were other ridiculous calls during the game like Daicos tapping the ball forward before it was about to go out, he actually made a play to keep it in and got penalised.

Cox was being tackled without the footy.

Agree on Daicos decision. Was poor.

Fly was a bit more firm about the umpiring than my earlier paraphrasing. Good to see.

————————
There were insufficient attempts out of bounds decisions paid against Mason Cox and Darcy Moore, a tough holding the ball call against Beau McCreery and a possible 50m penalty against Tom McCartin that could have provided Dan McStay with a matchwinning moment.

“I reckon if it was at the MCG, it would have been paid,” McRae said after the bitter defeat.

“There is definitely an advantage with a home ground.

“I thought it was a 50m penalty to the letter of the law. I’m sure the AFL will come out and say it was a free kick or a 50m penalty.”

McRae was just as disappointed with two insufficient intent decisions paid against Moore and Cox in the frantic final term.

He said: “There were a lot of deliberates tonight too … that was a bit of a circus. I am sure they (the AFL) will come out and justify that too.”

“Umpires don’t always get it right. That’s fair.”

Not good.
Shultz under pressure is a bust, does some good things but not when it counts. Not happy with his game and nearly threw my beer at the tele when lippa dropped that handball running into open goal.
Crap umpiring that halted our momentum but we missed so many easy shots early on when we should have put them away.
Ah well, reload and have another crack next year.

Ahaha mate. You just need to look at our socials to see what the majority of pies supporters are thinking. You're the minority.

The majority of pies supporters wouldn’t even be bothered posting on socials, that’s left to the minority of diehards, so not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I was at the game and what was very obvious was Sydney could barely get the ball out of their backline without the umpires’ help. Add the critical game changing free kicks in the last quarter- all of which seemed to go Sydney’s way - no wonder we couldn’t win despite being the better side for most of the game. The failure to pay 50m at the end was the cherry on the top and topped off a game win by the umpires. Swans fans were saying the same thing on the way out. Couldn’t believe their luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Macrae: "we value every second of time in a game".

I'm sorry but when you try to go whole quarters at a time with ZERO intent to actually score, you get the result we got tonight and what we should've got last week.

All ememphasis was on burning time. And to be perfectly frank, that stems from poor coaching, this year anyways.
The thing that annoys me is we’re not even good at burning time. We can never chip the ball around and take the sting out of the game. We just continue going up the line and give the opponent the opportunity to win the ball back.

Was a bit disappointed to see Pendles go completely missing in the last quarter when we really needed his leadership

Darcy Moore continues to play well despite how poorly we’re playing which I find odd

Seems our smaller defenders are really letting us down because Moore and Frampton are keeping their men quiet.

Noble once again as finals near, showing why he lost his spot last year and probably will again this year.

Schultz cops a lot of flack. Didn’t look to do a lot from the broadcast, but he might one of those players who are noticed more at the ground vs on tv. At the ground in previous weeks he does a lot of unrewarded running to present or pressure.

That said, he misses a lot of gettable shots on goal and they’re often not close either. He’s not the only player who misses goals, but I have no confidence when he lines up.

Played his role. Was 3rd or 4th for the team in pressure acts, laid some good tackles among the grunt work he was doing, 4 score involvements which sadly included his 2 points. If he’d have kicked 2 goals instead of 2 points, and we’d won, he’d have hardly been mentioned.

It was obvious we were going to lose the game from the first couple of minutes of the last quarter. The defensive slow play bullshit was on show nice and early and is it any surprise we let them in and didn't know what to do? Just like last week.. Hello Craig Mcrae? Seriously two ****n weeks in a row and MULTIPLE times this year? FFS!!!!
I recall McStay taking a leading mark on the wing in the last quarter with a long way to go and he just ambled back giving the slow down signals like we were all in defensive save the game mode. When that happened I knew we were in trouble. I was waiting for it and they didn't disappoint. The last 15 min was so excruciating to watch. None of them even looked the least bit interested in attacking the game until the dying minutes when we lost the lead, unfcukingbelievable. What are they saying to each other out there when all this sitting back is going on???

We can blame the umpires and free kicks, but reality is we were what, 27 points up 10 mins into the last Q?
Can't seem to hold onto a lead, even a close one (minus last week) lately.
So where to from here?
How bout a new thread - what we would all like to see between now and 2025?

Have we become too nice on the footy field now? We don't tackle with any ferocity anymore, eveyone is always laughing and smiling when there is still work to be done. The 80 min on gameday should be seen as a serious situation to attend to not a playground. Maybe I'm going a step too far here but I would love to see a bit more "unsociableness" in our playing style next year. Get some nastiness back in our footy because I think we need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back